X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    If RIT comes in, how do the travel partners then work? RPI with Dartmouth? Cornell/RIT, Colgate/Union?
    I agree that, if RIT comes in, Cornell will be their travel partner. Colgate/Union, and then RPI/Princeton? It's longer from RPI to Princeton, but then you keep the remaining travel partners together, which I would guess is of coin-flip importance to the big wig's. (For reference- approx 2.5 hours from Troy-Hanover, 3 Troy-Princeton. Also, it's essentially 3 from Princeton to Quinnipiac right now).

If Holy Cross were to come in, pair them with Brown, and Yale moves with Princeton. Everything else remains as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      Tricky...doubt Union RPI would change...they are only minutes apart ala SLU and CLK
      Well, and again IF RIT is the next ECAC school at some point...

One of Colgate and Cornell has to join them, geographically there is no other option. Unless you think pairing the remaining school out of the Cornell/Colgate pairing with Princeton, then you have to next look at the Capital district.

Somehow, you have to shift the schools around to get Princeton paired up with somebody, if this all plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
        Tricky...doubt Union RPI would change...they are only minutes apart ala SLU and CLK
        Yale and Quinnipiac are the same amount of minutes away, yet they aren't travel partners.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
          Huge News on the rumor mill. WAFT is tweeting that Notre Dame is planning to leave Hockey East for the NCHC, which would make all kinds of geographical sense. They also speculate that the Q would jump all over the empty spot in Hockey East. (who else might want it? RPI? doubt it) If true this would a) get the Q and Pecknold out of our hair since they were impostors waiting for a spot in HEA to begin with and b) open up a spot in the ECAC which WAFT speculates would go to Holy Cross or RIT. (which sounds about right to me ) Aside from the issue of whether Holy Cross would trade up their women to D1, then the issue would be Holy Cross tradition, geography and relationship with the Ivies vs. the new money, new arena, Liberty League relationship of RIT. And, it would inevitably fire up the Ivies go it alone discussion again. ECAC would lose a team that has done well for it in the Pairwise but has never fit the ECAC mold. And all of it is just a rumor but I go back to Notre Dame being poorly located to play in Hockey East --which has to be a burden on them as well as some of the less wealthy schools in HEA.
          I don't know how to respond to this. Admitting Q-suc was a huge mistake. However, all the statements from Q-Suc admin are that they are the perfect fit for the ECAC and ECAC academics. It's the same delusional mumbo jumbo that comes from their fans that say it is okay to have a coach that is the biggest tool in the shed (and not in a good way).

Holy Cross was passed over before because they didn't want to join, they wouldn't commit to upgrading women and they don't want to offer scholarships. Academically, they were a natural fit. If Holy Cross did join, the travel partners would be as they used to be except for instead of Dartmouth / Vermont it would be Dartmouth / Holy Cross. It is much more problematic with an RIT. I don't see breaking up the travel partners in NY. Everyone likes being able to stay in one hotel all weekend which is possible really only on the NY trips of Cap District, CU's and North Country. But then, RIT / Princeton doesn't work at all because they are 7 hours apart. I don't think RIT would be invited in unless there was a league expansion and we took in a Niagara or Canisius. I just don't see it working. Nor do I see it as palatable. There are no natural rivalries, it is geographically outside of the perimeter, and, honestly, I'd much rather have Army back than RIT. The Ivies will not leave the ECAC. There is no reason to. There are lots of historical rivalries, the 'new' ECAC has academically compatible schools. I can say factually that many Ivies admit questionable kids academically as much if not more than SLU does.

Trust me, I'd be thrilled to have Q-suc be gone. They are universally hated in the league and they can't even figure that out after the esteemed coach of Cornell tells 'em so publicly. Bless that Schafer guy! If it happens, it's party time. However, replacing them becomes really problematic. Academically and geographically the only schools that fit are Army, Penn and HC. Maybe a school like Bentley in a stretch. It would be awesome to lure one of the Boston area hockey east teams away maybe such as Northeastern or even U-Mass, both of which would be preferential to Q-Suc.

In general, I just have to say I don't like the league realignment. I don't like Big 10, NCHC or the new WCHA. So many great rivalries were destroyed. And what league is ASU going to join?

Rambling I know, but bottom line, I just don't think RIT works. If Q-suc blows town, the ECAC would need to find someone between MA and NJ/PA to replace them, and would not look west in my opinion.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            I agree that, if RIT comes in, Cornell will be their travel partner. Colgate/Union, and then RPI/Princeton? It's longer from RPI to Princeton, but then you keep the remaining travel partners together, which I would guess is of coin-flip importance to the big wig's. (For reference- approx 2.5 hours from Troy-Hanover, 3 Troy-Princeton. Also, it's essentially 3 from Princeton to Quinnipiac right now).

If Holy Cross were to come in, pair them with Brown, and Yale moves with Princeton. Everything else remains as is.
            It won't happen. Trust me from someone who was on the bus for four years, long bus rides between games suck. It would only be possible if the routine became Friday and Sunday games for the RIT and Travel Partner team which I think would become Princeton or Brown.
            Last edited by Got 6, Want More; 02-07-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
              Like I said to Mike last night, with regard to the QU rumor let's all make like Reg Dunlop: act like it's true and spread it around to anyone who will listen . . . and maybe something good will come out of it.

As far as SLU is concerned, boy they just keep moving forward don't they? This team is steady as a rock. They work hard and block shots like crazy in front of Hayton, and when they screw up or have a bad stretch, he pays them back with big saves. I'm starting to think this Marnell kid is going to make a name for himself in Canton.
              Marnell is a fantastic player but the best thing is I am not sure he is even in the top 3 of his class. I have to think that Hayton and Gluchowski are the top 2 candidates for ROTY. After that, Lough I think is the best overall forward in that class. Marnell is a guy they thought would zip around, has great hands and can stick handle in a phone booth and score some goals. He is as sold. He has been making me really happy with his play on the PK, and, arguably he and Sullivan have the biggest goals for this team in the last 3 weeks.

This team is rock solid. The defense has improved so much since not only last year but the beginning of this year. The team is so balanced offensively and defensively. The play right now gives me so much hope knowing what is coming in with guys like Pritchard, Nielsen, Conger and Corriveau. We are going to miss Hughes and his leadership which has emerged to be something special this year. What he does out there can't be measured. Ditto for Doherty. Bruckel has been making a huge contribution in the second half, but the one guy that is really going to be missed is, the warrior, Chris Martin. He plays hard minutes on the blue line and battles hard and has a lot of speed. BUT, this class is not like the other classes who felt like the cupboards were going to be bare. In fact, it's the opposite. My optimism for the future is soaring. I put Gunnar Hughes on the pedestal for his leadership the way I put Bob Prier's up there in 1999 before the good years that followed that year. However, I think this is an even better team than that.

Tonight is a test. Union has some of the highest scorers in the nation in Ciampini and Vecchione. We have to play a very solid defensive game and score on our chances. This team has been on a roll all without production from the PP. Man, if they can get that firing half as good as last year....there should be some smiles in Canton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                I don't know how to respond to this. Admitting Q-suc was a huge mistake. However, all the statements from Q-Suc admin are that they are the perfect fit for the ECAC and ECAC academics. It's the same delusional mumbo jumbo that comes from their fans that say it is okay to have a coach that is the biggest tool in the shed (and not in a good way).

Holy Cross was passed over before because they didn't want to join, they wouldn't commit to upgrading women and they don't want to offer scholarships. Academically, they were a natural fit. If Holy Cross did join, the travel partners would be as they used to be except for instead of Dartmouth / Vermont it would be Dartmouth / Holy Cross. It is much more problematic with an RIT. I don't see breaking up the travel partners in NY. Everyone likes being able to stay in one hotel all weekend which is possible really only on the NY trips of Cap District, CU's and North Country. But then, RIT / Princeton doesn't work at all because they are 7 hours apart. I don't think RIT would be invited in unless there was a league expansion and we took in a Niagara or Canisius. I just don't see it working. Nor do I see it as palatable. There are no natural rivalries, it is geographically outside of the perimeter, and, honestly, I'd much rather have Army back than RIT. The Ivies will not leave the ECAC. There is no reason to. There are lots of historical rivalries, the 'new' ECAC has academically compatible schools. I can say factually that many Ivies admit questionable kids academically as much if not more than SLU does.

Trust me, I'd be thrilled to have Q-suc be gone. They are universally hated in the league and they can't even figure that out after the esteemed coach of Cornell tells 'em so publicly. Bless that Schafer guy! If it happens, it's party time. However, replacing them becomes really problematic. Academically and geographically the only schools that fit are Army, Penn and HC. Maybe a school like Bentley in a stretch. It would be awesome to lure one of the Boston area hockey east teams away maybe such as Northeastern or even U-Mass, both of which would be preferential to Q-Suc.

In general, I just have to say I don't like the league realignment. I don't like Big 10, NCHC or the new WCHA. So many great rivalries were destroyed. And what league is ASU going to join?

Rambling I know, but bottom line, I just don't think RIT works. If Q-suc blows town, the ECAC would need to find someone between MA and NJ/PA to replace them, and would not look west in my opinion.
                Penn would be a long shot...they don't have varsity hockey. Can't remember why Army bailed but they are still a DI club. Would be great to repatriate them if HC declines again, which would be hard to believe after Union's success sans scholarships.

Comment

I would love to see Army back. Perfect travel partner with Princeton, every other pair remains the same.
                  A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

The whole argument that QU does not fit within the academic mold of the ECAC is a little overblown. As a local resident. i have seen first hand how the University has increased it's academic standing. By recently adding Law and Medical schools to the mix, they are creating a school that is actually well attended and respected. Believe me, i have no reason to defend QU, but theses slings and arrows from the north about the "not fitting in" are way of base. Actually of all the non ivies in the ECAC, QU only trails Colgate on the US News and World Report magazine scale.
                    Last edited by LTsatch; 02-07-2015, 01:52 PM.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      The whole argument that QU does not fit within the academic mold of the ECAC is a little overblown. As a local resident. i have seen first hand how the University has increased it's academic standing. By recently adding Law and Medical schools to the mix, they are creating a school that is actually well attended and respected. Believe me, i have no reason to defend QU, but theses slings and arrows from the north about the "not fitting in" are way of base. Actually of all the non ivies in the ECAC, QU only trails Colgate on the US News and World Report magazine scale.
                      That US and News Rankings are pretty convoluted. Quinnipiac isn't even listed or rated in the "National" Universities category While Princeton (#1) Harvard (#2), Ylae (#3), Dartmouth (#11), Cornell (#15), Brown (#16), RPI (#42) and Clarkson (#121) are all ranked.

Many of the others are ranked in the National Liberal Arts category (which Q Pac is not) with Colgate (#34) Union (41) and SLU (56) the only other schools being ranked. By the by Holy Cross is (#34). Q is only rated in the "Northeast Ratings" which are only Regional.

My argument isn't largely based on academics although one could make the case Q is the easiest to enter of any school in the conference....it is based on the "mission" or "intent" of the University with it's athletic programs. They spend and market Q Hockey as if they were a minor league franchise. They are the only team in the ECAC that "markets" their hockey program to that degree. Their athletic budget to promote their hockey and basketball programs is in my opinion more what makes them an awkward fit. The emphasis on athletics, the marketing and spending large amounts of dollars on promoting it and recruiting are what makes me feel they do not fit. They are a Hockey East mentality is every regard and probably (whether these rumors are true or not) will eventually wind up there.
                      SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        First, I'll be the first to admit that this is entirely subjective and that I'm more than a little bit elitist about the whole issue.

But whatever progress QU has made in its reputation, it's just not a school with a history or a core reputation in liberal arts or engineering. Q looks way more like a Northeastern than a Colgate.

As a marketing guy by trade, I think the ECAC needs to stand for something -- and in my view, it has always been the most traditional, academically oriented league. We don't always get the best players, but that elite academic positioning enables all of the ECAC schools to have the best shot at getting a certain kind of player.

Q just dilutes that image. All of the ECAC schools except Q are over 120 years old. Thry have all played hockey for a very long time and most are historical hockey schools with rich traditions (Union, sort of). The ECAC schools mostly recruit against their academic profile and hockey history as well as their current hockey programs. I dont think that's Qpac's game.

I'll also be the first to admit that as an SLU fan and alum, that walking into Appleton and seeing the Harvard and Cornell banner or walking into Hobey Baker Rink or Bright and seeing the SLU banner lends credibility and provides positive awareness to SLU that it might not otherwise get, and that benefit goes well beyond hockey for a very good college that has a tough time getting airtime in general.

Q does none of that reputational work for any of the ECAC schools. They have been much more aggressive with scholarships, spending and recruiting e.g. Like a Hockey East team.

And, who knows what lies in the hearts and minds of the Q administration. Maybe they really mean it when they say they are happy in the ECAC. But then again, what would you expect them to say?

From the very beginning I have always had the strong sense that Q's end game is Hockey East -- so I see them as transients, just passing through the ECAC. I have zero evidence. That's just my interpretation of their collective actions and profile (spending, recruiting, corporate naming on their rink, coaching attitude). As successful as he's been, I don't think any other ECAC team would ever hire a Rand Pecknold as their coach. (But I could see plenty of Hockey East teams hiring him in a heartbeat)

Whether any of the above is what matters to the Athletic Directors at Ivy schools or Union, RPI, SLU et al., I don't really know. It used to.

If Q did leave the ECAC, from a reputational standpoint, Army or Holy Cross would be great fits. (But neither may be in a position to add a women's program.) From a hockey investment standpoint, RIT would be the best fit.

One more random highly speculative thought. I keep occasionally hearing noise about Navy going D1 hockey. They'd fit in the ECAC and be a decent Princeton travel partner. On the other hand, they'd probably want to play in the same league as Army and Air Force.
                        Last edited by bcarlisle; 02-07-2015, 05:34 PM.
                        St. Lawrence University
                        World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                          First, I'll be the first to admit that this is entirely subjective and that I'm more than a little bit elitist about the whole issue.
                          Not to hijack or be argumentative but if Q's success in the ECAC had not been as good to date would these feelings still be what they are?

I make no apologies for being a Q fan. Both my kids went there, it's located in the town I grew up in, and has done a great job promoting itself and its athletics. I have nothing but respect for the other schools in the league.

I also know Pecknold isn't well liked outside of Hamden. Some of that is deserved... much of it is not IMHO. Some people have really taken that hatred to a personal level and that I cannot understand. He's done a great job with the program considering where it was when he took over.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of moving to HE. I don't believe it's where the admin wants to go either. With our AD retiring in June who knows what the future really holds.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Rolling in Appletown. We look awesome. We are for real. Next Friday is huge.

Comment

Great Win SLU !!!! Well deserved .... keep it going .....
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                Rolling in Appletown. We look awesome. We are for real. Next Friday is huge.
                                Yet another big win

Comment

Working...
                                X