• Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Same lines as the Clarkson game.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Same lines as the Clarkson game.
      and a win as well... Interested in your observation at Appleton this evening. It was important for the Saints to come away with 2 points against RPI.
      SLU '97

Comment

Came out strong in the first and outplayed RPI. Lots of turnovers by the RPI players, and we were able to capitalize on one of them (Horn's goal).

Second, we got outplayed. RPI got one back on a breakaway after Neal was hanging behind our D off a turnover. Very nice shot up top on Hayton.

3rd period was fairly even, SLU may have outplayed RPI slightly. Marnell's goal was key in giving some breathing room. RPI had the goalie pulled for 2 minutes, but we held them off.

Thought the crowd was pretty small tonight, certainly expected more, although the students showed up after the puck drop. We need to bring our A game tomorrow against Union. They've been coming on strong lately, and just took it to our neighbors down the road.

Comment

Huge News on the rumor mill. WAFT is tweeting that Notre Dame is planning to leave Hockey East for the NCHC, which would make all kinds of geographical sense. They also speculate that the Q would jump all over the empty spot in Hockey East. (who else might want it? RPI? doubt it) If true this would a) get the Q and Pecknold out of our hair since they were impostors waiting for a spot in HEA to begin with and b) open up a spot in the ECAC which WAFT speculates would go to Holy Cross or RIT. (which sounds about right to me ) Aside from the issue of whether Holy Cross would trade up their women to D1, then the issue would be Holy Cross tradition, geography and relationship with the Ivies vs. the new money, new arena, Liberty League relationship of RIT. And, it would inevitably fire up the Ivies go it alone discussion again. ECAC would lose a team that has done well for it in the Pairwise but has never fit the ECAC mold. And all of it is just a rumor but I go back to Notre Dame being poorly located to play in Hockey East --which has to be a burden on them as well as some of the less wealthy schools in HEA.
          St. Lawrence University
          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Nice game by the Saints. Hayton looked sharp and cool in the cage as usual. There is no doubt as to why he is a top 5 goalie (save percentage, shutouts, and minutes played) in the country. He certainly anchors our top 5 nationally ranked defense. Sullivan had a nice game as well. He plays gritty and is a behind the scenes play-maker. I especially liked his back-check in the first period thwarting a potential 3 on 1. All in all, the boys looked good (in high def, lol). Go Saints Go, beat Union!

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
              Huge News on the rumor mill. WAFT is tweeting that Notre Dame is planning to leave Hockey East for the NCHC, which would make all kinds of geographical sense. They also speculate that the Q would jump all over the empty spot in Hockey East. (who else might want it? RPI? doubt it) If true this would a) get the Q and Pecknold out of our hair since they were impostors waiting for a spot in HEA to begin with and b) open up a spot in the ECAC which WAFT speculates would go to Holy Cross or RIT. (which sounds about right to me ) Aside from the issue of whether Holy Cross would trade up their women to D1, then the issue would be Holy Cross tradition, geography and relationship with the Ivies vs. the new money, new arena, Liberty League relationship of RIT. And, it would inevitably fire up the Ivies go it alone discussion again. ECAC would lose a team that has done well for it in the Pairwise but has never fit the ECAC mold. And all of it is just a rumor but I go back to Notre Dame being poorly located to play in Hockey East --which has to be a burden on them as well as some of the less wealthy schools in HEA.
              Sure hoping that where there is smoke......there is fire.

Thanks Brandon for the update. I watched on the computer and thought our only good period was the first. I agree we will have to ramp things up tomorrow night. Union put up a four spot on Clarkson which is pretty impressive considering how stingy Clarkson has been in giving up goals.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                Sure hoping that where there is smoke......there is fire.

Thanks Brandon for the update. I watched on the computer and thought our only good period was the first. I agree we will have to ramp things up tomorrow night. Union put up a four spot on Clarkson which is pretty impressive considering how stingy Clarkson has been in giving up goals.
                Well, we played great in the first. In the 3rd, we had numerous great chances and really didn't give up a whole lot IMO until late when it was 6x5. We didn't take it to RPI necessarily, but it was a nice improvement from the 2nd.

While we didn't capitalize on any PP's, I thought it looked very, very good for most of them. Lots of puck movement, crisp passes, and countless chances. PK was perfect as well, and they are almost to the 90% mark.

Comment

I wonder who they are? Other than that one tweet, there are no news reports on this.
                  SLU '97

Comment

Like I said to Mike last night, with regard to the QU rumor let's all make like Reg Dunlop: act like it's true and spread it around to anyone who will listen . . . and maybe something good will come out of it.

As far as SLU is concerned, boy they just keep moving forward don't they? This team is steady as a rock. They work hard and block shots like crazy in front of Hayton, and when they screw up or have a bad stretch, he pays them back with big saves. I'm starting to think this Marnell kid is going to make a name for himself in Canton.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                      Holy Cross seemed the perfect fit before the Q choice, which left some scratching their heads. If the rumor proves true, HC again appears as the compatible successor in an academic context. One would think the HC faithful would be gleeful over the resurrected prospect.

Comment

If the question of upgrading the HC women reemerges, they can look toward Union. Perhaps the Union women could finally find some company in that crevasse that has proven inescapable. It's a bit of a head scratcher given the men's success in recent years, though the women tied SLU last night. Break out the bubbly!

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                          Holy Cross seemed the perfect fit before the Q choice, which left some scratching their heads. If the rumor proves true, HC again appears as the compatible successor in an academic context. One would think the HC faithful would be gleeful over the resurrected prospect.
                          I'm sure the ECAC would require Holy Cross to upgrade their women's team. That was a big stumbling block last go round. It left the door open for the Q and they took advantage of it.
                          SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                            I'm sure the ECAC would require Holy Cross to upgrade their women's team. That was a big stumbling block last go round. It left the door open for the Q and they took advantage of it.
                            I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember Holy Cross also making a point of saying they would not offer athletic scholarships. (Which I thought was really stupid, given the quality of the other ECAC scholarship schools that they would be joining, and the fact that they themselves already award them for basketball.) Union proved last year it's possible for a non-Ivy to win a championship under that model, but still . . . I don't think that helped their cause, either. I would certainly rather have a Holy Cross-caliber school without scholarships than Quinnipiac, but there are other good schools out there that could probably fit in better than Q and that might convince the ECAC that they're willing to make a bigger investment in high-quality hockey than HC without sacrificing academics . . . or acting like d*****bags.*

*Not directed at the fanbase, some of whom have been good friends here.

Comment

If RIT comes in, how do the travel partners then work? RPI with Dartmouth? Cornell/RIT, Colgate/Union?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                If RIT comes in, how do the travel partners then work? RPI with Dartmouth? Cornell/RIT, Colgate/Union?
                                Tricky...doubt Union RPI would change...they are only minutes apart ala SLU and CLK

Comment

Working...
                                X