X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by critsports View Post
    Thanks for the in person update Tayt.........Although I watched the broadcast (my apologies to Wally and Greg) I had the sound turned off as I was watching the Bruins game at the same time and too many whistles get confusing. Wasn't aware of the ice problem and Tim and I were texting back and forth and he had the sound on and I'm sure would have mentioned it had the announcers pointed it out.

Yes.......we have to get that power play sorted out. Every time we got a PP Tim and I would text.... "Oh, no!!" PP doesn't have to be a killer one like last year....but, they have to wear the other team out and put one in once in awhile to make them pay. What are we like 0 for the last three games? Hopefully we can work out some kinks in the UVM
    Actually Greg did mention the line in the ice that was just to the Saints bench side of center the entire length of the ice. It was noticeable on the camera, they mentioned the line and the pooled water which is never a good sign for a fast skating team (he even joked that next weekend we will have to play at the Canton Pavilion due to ice conditions at Appleton), BUT, we still should have found a way to win the game. I can live with rust, I can live with a dry spell on the PP and I can live with losing because of crappy ice, but I can't live with losing to Clarkson and showing no intensity, vitriol and physicality. I didn't see one decent hit the entire game. That looked more like a womens game than an SLU - Clarkson game.

With Hughes coming back it is a big question in my mind who sits. I too would like to see Marnell, Lough and Sullivan back together, but I don't think Dahl deserves to sit the way he has been playing. Maybe you sit Hudson, but he is one physical guy so I wouldn't. Honestly, I think it's someone off the 2nd line of Smolcynski, Ward and Horn. I was very frustrated watching this line last night. A lot of golden scoring chances squandered, missed nets, pipes....basically snakebitten. Whatever it is, that's not an easy decision.

I feel like we have to find a way to get 2 points from Vermont to not head into the second half with some negativity. We've beaten better teams that UVM, but they have some goalies that have been on fire and we have some problems to fix.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      Actually Greg did mention the line in the ice that was just to the Saints bench side of center the entire length of the ice. It was noticeable on the camera, they mentioned the line and the pooled water which is never a good sign for a fast skating team (he even joked that next weekend we will have to play at the Canton Pavilion due to ice conditions at Appleton), BUT, we still should have found a way to win the game. I can live with rust, I can live with a dry spell on the PP and I can live with losing because of crappy ice, but I can't live with losing to Clarkson and showing no intensity, vitriol and physicality. I didn't see one decent hit the entire game. That looked more like a womens game than an SLU - Clarkson game.

With Hughes coming back it is a big question in my mind who sits. I too would like to see Marnell, Lough and Sullivan back together, but I don't think Dahl deserves to sit the way he has been playing. Maybe you sit Hudson, but he is one physical guy so I wouldn't. Honestly, I think it's someone off the 2nd line of Smolcynski, Ward and Horn. I was very frustrated watching this line last night. A lot of golden scoring chances squandered, missed nets, pipes....basically snakebitten. Whatever it is, that's not an easy decision.

I feel like we have to find a way to get 2 points from Vermont to not head into the second half with some negativity. We've beaten better teams that UVM, but they have some goalies that have been on fire and we have some problems to fix.
      UVM is also pretty deep. No one will amaze you but they can roll 4 lines and 2 solid D pairs (Paliotta and Privetera are very good as the top D pair). There is no real drop off from lines 1 to 3 for UVM. So basically they will grind you down. They can also skate with anyone. They outplayed ND but lost and tied in South bend (puck luck and a few good shots from ND). The other losses were at UConn (who is a solid grind it out team) and PC where they just didn't show up (and PC did and deserved to win).

You aren't going to beat UVM from the outside..you have to do the dirty work down low and move the puck.

Comment

Another SLU commit for 2017:

From OTB:

98 F Jacob Nielsen - Milwaukee Jr. Admirals U16

Nielsen could be a good one – we didn’t get a clear read on him, though he was very involved offensively – we spent a lot of time watching NMU recruit Collin Peters and fellow NTDP invite Grant Cruikshank (above).
        - See more at: http://overtheboards.net/ntdp-camp-r....M4nzsqc5.dpuf

From Elite Prospects:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=272302

http://tier1midget.stats.pointstreak...seasonid=13260

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbzCTaVGzE

https://sites.google.com/site/wwwhoc...-1998-forwards

Welcome aboard Jacob...Let's hope your scoring streak continues in the Scarlet and Brown.

Comment

Friday night UVM game streamed via UVM athletics website
          SLU65

Comment

You'll find the free feed here: http://nsnsports.net
            SLU '97

Comment

Good Luck this weekend Saints .... the ECAC is 17-10-2 against HE teams thus far this year. How about adding two more wins this weekend?
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

http://pic.***********/QvtAuy4Gw6

Of note: Parks starts. Sullivan up to 2nd line, Horn scratched. Bruckel to 3rd line in his place.

Comment

Pretty even so far. SLU has had better chances but UVM has had the better of the play.. (not by much)

Comment

Tough loss ... As soon as I saw Parks in net and he let in two quick soft goals I thought "ohhhh here we go with this **** again". Then he settled down and actually played a decent game overall. The defense looked solid, not much to complain about on that end of the ice. However, the offense is in some serious need of some retooling. Whatever they are doing is not working, time to switch it up! I feel like this is turning into the same old song and dance as the past few years. Great start with lots of promise, completely fall apart mid-season and we can never get it back together again. Hopefully we can right this ship and quickly. I am already starting to get down at this point and I can't even imagine how they must feel. Not sure if there is anything else good I can say at this point so ... **Insert positive statement of encouragement here**
                    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                      Tough loss ... As soon as I saw Parks in net and he let in two quick soft goals I thought "ohhhh here we go with this **** again". Then he settled down and actually played a decent game overall. The defense looked solid, not much to complain about on that end of the ice. However, the offense is in some serious need of some retooling. Whatever they are doing is not working, time to switch it up! I feel like this is turning into the same old song and dance as the past few years. Great start with lots of promise, completely fall apart mid-season and we can never get it back together again. Hopefully we can right this ship and quickly. I am already starting to get down at this point and I can't even imagine how they must feel. Not sure if there is anything else good I can say at this point so ... **Insert positive statement of encouragement here**
                      If you had some guys who could finish you would have won this game. UVM looked sluggish coming off the break. They were a few steps slower than normal..

Comment

I thought SLU looked good. Yes, they need to finish. But Hoffman made some big saves and we had some good shots in traffic. We won faceoffs, broke out of our zone well, and probably deserved at least a tie. Bayreuther, Sweetman, and Gluchowski were terrific. The Clarkson game and this game were night and day. They need to follow it up with a good performance tomorrow, but I thought that was a fun game to watch and I was very encouraged with the direction we're headed.

Comment

I thought your guys moved the puck through the neutral zone really well and looked to be the quicker team.

Parks is a rebound machine though wow. Did he play for you guys last season?

Comment

Originally posted by CTcatamount View Post
                            I thought your guys moved the puck through the neutral zone really well and looked to be the quicker team.

He was on the team, but saw very little action. Hayton is our #1 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by CTcatamount View Post

Parks had incredible numbers in junior and would get games on many D-1 teams. He does cover a lot of the net. Hayton has had every other start this year though.

SLU is a quick team and getting quicker every year. The coach looks for speed.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                                I thought SLU looked good. Yes, they need to finish. But Hoffman made some big saves and we had some good shots in traffic. We won faceoffs, broke out of our zone well, and probably deserved at least a tie. Bayreuther, Sweetman, and Gluchowski were terrific. The Clarkson game and this game were night and day. They need to follow it up with a good performance tomorrow, but I thought that was a fun game to watch and I was very encouraged with the direction we're headed.
                                I echo all of your comments. A solid performance despite the result.
                                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Working...
                                X