This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
    That sums it up perfectly. We got our butts outworked, plain and simple.
    We absolutely did and that is 100% completely unacceptable! Not only is it unacceptable against your biggest rival, but against your biggest rival at home! They need to really take some time to reexamine how important this rivalry is to St. Lawrence because clearly at this time it means way more to Clarkson and it shows! If you can't get up for this game, then you shouldn't be able to get up for any game, ever!!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Like I mentioned in October...the only results that matter are league games. As much as I was happy we tied and beat Tech earlier in the year, they got us when it counted tonight . I'm hoping we can bounce back against a good UVM team next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SLU2000 View Post
        Like I mentioned in October...the only results that matter are league games. As much as I was happy we tied and beat Tech earlier in the year, they got us when it counted tonight . I'm hoping we can bounce back against a good UVM team next weekend.
        If SLU gives the same effort next weekend that we saw tonight, UVM will win both games by 5 goals. I agree 100% with the previous statement that these games appear to mean more to Clarkson than they do to St. Lawrence. The Clarkson guys skate harder, they work harder, and they play with more energy and confidence. Neither team was very good tonight, but Clarkson wanted it more . . . which means they deserved to win.

Comment

That was just ugly hockey and painful to watch. Since when do Clarkson games not matter. There was zero intensity in that game. The ice looked terrible. The officiating was terrible (Graber is truly awful). But even with that we still could have won. We missed Hughes, but I swear we also forgot to read the schedule to see who we were playing.

You can't not show up. Tonight is what the result will be when that happens. There was nothing about that that was fun to watch. We are a better team than that. I sure hope we learned what happens when you get completely outworked and when one team wants it a lot more than you do.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
            If SLU gives the same effort next weekend that we saw tonight, UVM will win both games by 5 goals. I agree 100% with the previous statement that these games appear to mean more to Clarkson than they do to St. Lawrence. The Clarkson guys skate harder, they work harder, and they play with more energy and confidence. Neither team was very good tonight, but Clarkson wanted it more . . . which means they deserved to win.
            If I were coach Carvel..........I would not let the team wear any kind of jersey in practice that has an STL on it, until they prove they deserve to wear it. Tonight they did not. Like many before have already stated....we got outplayed, outworked in our barn, against our biggest rival....and, in a league game that matters. Just sad. Tonight they played like the team we thought they might be before the season started.......not like the team we have seen all this season before tonight.

We have been so pleased and surprised with the way this team has played and performed. Beyond expectations. Tonight was well below those expectations. Looks like the new top sport at SLU is Squash.
            SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              That was just ugly hockey and painful to watch. Since when do Clarkson games not matter. There was zero intensity in that game. The ice looked terrible. The officiating was terrible (Graber is truly awful). But even with that we still could have won. We missed Hughes, but I swear we also forgot to read the schedule to see who we were playing.

You can't not show up. Tonight is what the result will be when that happens. There was nothing about that that was fun to watch. We are a better team than that. I sure hope we learned what happens when you get completely outworked and when one team wants it a lot more than you do.
              It was fun to watch if one likes to view faceoffs. I'll be seeing those in my sleep tonight. How a team, our bitter rival no less, can come into our barn for a league game, outwork us, and get us to play their style of hockey is beyond me. With 66-121-11 in mind, Clarkson is, forever has been, and forever will be - one big pain in my ever-loving butt.
              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                If I were coach Carvel..........I would not let the team wear any kind of jersey in practice that has an STL on it, until they prove they deserve to wear it. Tonight they did not. Like many before have already stated....we got outplayed, outworked in our barn, against our biggest rival....and, in a league game that matters. Just sad. Tonight they played like the team we thought they might be before the season started.......not like the team we have seen all this season before tonight.

We have been so pleased and surprised with the way this team has played and performed. Beyond expectations. Tonight was well below those expectations. Looks like the new top sport at SLU is Squash.
                I'm sensing a possible repeat of last season where 6-2-2 was quickly squashed (no pun intended). I know these negative thoughts may upset some fans, but the Larries/Saints have fooled me too many times over the years. Let's hope that SLU learned a lot from tonight's "effort."
                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                  I'm sensing a possible repeat of last season where 6-2-2 was quickly squashed (no pun intended). I know these negative thoughts may upset some fans, but the Larries/Saints have fooled me too many times over the years. Let's hope that SLU learned a lot from tonight's "effort."
                  Well, a performance like that can certainly make one have a lot of negative thoughts. Gunnar Hughes might have been the difference. I just don't think it is time to throw in the towel on these guys. We are a better team than last year, with a better goaltender, better team defense, and more balanced scoring. But it was Clarkson that turned us in the wrong direction last year, and if we don't work harder and play smarter than that we won't win another game this season. To win in this league, you have to win individual battles. We also need to get some production from the PP. Other than a minute of the last power play, it was freaking dreadful.

Possibly the saddest part of that is even though we didn't show up, Clarkson was lucky to win that. So, in other words, we gift wrapped one for our rivals. I know this team can beat anyone. Tonight, they beat themselves.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Here are my thought's on watching last night's game in person at Appleton last night:

The Saints were very rusty. You could tell that we had not played a game in two weeks and that Clarkson had played two games last weekend. We seemed to be a step behind skating and with our passes. This was only the second time in fifty years that we did not play over the Thanksgiving weekend. It showed.

Two, this team missed Gunner Hughes during his three game suspension. In those three games we went 1-2 with the one win coming against Princeton. The Saints will be improved with him returning next Friday.

Three, while the game was ugly, SLU did limit Clarkson's chances. Clarkson only really had two good scoring chances in the game, and they scored on both. For as rusty as we were, we still could have won or at least tied that game.

Four, it appears that their was a refrigeration pipe failure at Appleton. From the second period on (that's when I noticed it), there was a sheet of water three feet across near center ice running from goal line to goal line during the entire last two period of play. That slowed down the puck and play. With the fast pace skating Saints, the ice condition was a major problem. Literally for two periods you could not, or at least well, pass the puck from one side of the rink across to the other.

Lastly, the Saints will have to shake the rust off this week and bring their A game against UVM. The Cats are having a very good year and it's going to take SLU's best effort to win those games.
                    SLU '97

Comment

Now that Marnell is back and Hughes has served his suspensions, I'm hoping that the lines used earlier in the season can get reunited. I especially hope that the freshman line of Marnell, Lough, and Sullivan gets back together because I suspect their incredibly high energy level helps set the bar for the energy level of the team.

Comment

Thanks for the in person update Tayt.........Although I watched the broadcast (my apologies to Wally and Greg) I had the sound turned off as I was watching the Bruins game at the same time and too many whistles get confusing. Wasn't aware of the ice problem and Tim and I were texting back and forth and he had the sound on and I'm sure would have mentioned it had the announcers pointed it out.

Yes.......we have to get that power play sorted out. Every time we got a PP Tim and I would text.... "Oh, no!!" PP doesn't have to be a killer one like last year....but, they have to wear the other team out and put one in once in awhile to make them pay. What are we like 0 for the last three games? Hopefully we can work out some kinks in the UVM
                        SLU

Comment

I agree with Spaceman on all accounts.

The ice was terrible and totally favored Clarkson's game. We are a fast team that would prefer to play on hard ice. When it's a home game and the ice conditions favor your opponent that's a problem. This Definitely needs to be addressed.

I think we were rusty, you never want a break when you're on a good roll. The ice may have contributed to some of the sloppy puck movement and missed shots but the boys were also not seeing guys that were wide open. I didn't like the chemistry at all. The boys absolutely wasted some odd man rushes.

As good as Hayton's been and he has been very good I didn't like either of Clarkson's goals. I think the team has done a very good job of limiting the good scoring chances in the last couple of games but unfortunately when they do get one it seems to go in.

The powerplay has been awful and I think it's fair to say it's even disrupting our 5 on 5 play.

Lastly I was disappointed with the effort the boys gave against their cross town rivals! There didn't seem to be much intensity, desire and willingness to do whatever it takes to win! As much as I've enjoyed watching this team this year for the first time I really left the rink disappointed with the teams effort. I hope that if the boys are reading this it causes them to reflect and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                            Definitely a fear of deja vu

Hopefully my presence in situ Saturday night will not have its usual negative impact
                            e.g., embarrassing blowout losses to Q Pac at Appleton and Maine in Portland
                            SLU65

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                              Definitely a fear of deja vu

Hopefully my presence in situ Saturday night will not have its usual negative impact
                              e.g., embarrassing blowout losses to Q Pac at Appleton and Maine in Portland
                              IIRC, 0-8 and 1-10, respectively. Enjoy being at the game on Sat.

As for the ice last night, Greg and Wally did mention that it was unusually warm in Appleton. SLU needs to stop wasting energy while heating Appleton.
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

I can't add anything else to what has already been stated except that if we do have a complete collapse (hopefully not, god willing) it wouldn't just be the same as last year, but the same as the previous two years. The previous two seasons we have started off strong and went through a mid-season slump and ended up underachieving ... Hopefully this does not happen again this year, but I am afraid it is already starting to look painfully similar!
                                Last edited by Saints#1; 12-07-2014, 03:59 PM.
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X