This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

During my time at Clarkson we lost twice to you guys my freshman year (1973-74) and then my grad year (77-78).

I can remember close games and blowouts. We may be rivals but this Techer cheers for the Saints except when we're on the same sheet of ice.

BTW - your soccer teams haven't lost to us since 1993.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      During my time at Clarkson we lost twice to you guys my freshman year (1973-74) and then my grad year (77-78).

I can remember close games and blowouts. We may be rivals but this Techer cheers for the Saints except when we're on the same sheet of ice.

BTW - your soccer teams haven't lost to us since 1993.
      I don't remember Clarkson football beating us.....ever. Different kind of football.
      LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Great to see the Saints put it to Clarkson especially on their own ice. I hope they gear up to take 2 more in the regular season. Can't speak for any of clarkson's other sports. Being a Cortland Alum, Clarkson couldn't carry our jocks in anything else GO Saints GO

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
          I don't remember Clarkson football beating us.....ever. Different kind of football.
          I don't think we've lost to you in football since the 40's.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It’s obviously very early in the season, but I’ve gotten my season simulator fired up to see what KRACH says the final standings will be. I update every Sunday based on the week's games. Come have a look in the thread!
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              Bingo. Plus, in my era we won more than 50% and the Clarkson games (along with Harvard, RPI and Vermont) were always the most memorable. Cornell too actually. They are great recruiting tools because what kid doesn't want to see a game with a high energy rivalry? They sell tickets, they are fun for the players, everyone gets to sleep in their own beds, and it's a North Country affair (which sucks for those of us that don't live in the NC).

As long as I live, I'll never forget losing to them 10-1 in December 1985 where we without all four of our top defensemen and Derek Ray and Scott Nickerson went toe to toe at center ice, or playing them a month later and beating them at Appleton in OT 6-5 after Hurley took a retaliation penalty and Don Vaughan was screaming some inappropriate things from the press box over where the President used to sit. I'll never forget beating them 8-4 in 1988 with 5 guys suspended from a fight at Dartmouth and Buckeridge making a move that even they applauded. Or beating them 3-0 in the 1988 ECAC Championship game where shooter had a perfect one-timer on the PP from the top of the circle. Or Mike McKenzie putting on a one man show in period 3 of game 3 at Appleton 3-4 years ago to come from behind and win. Clarkson even eventually got a lame D-1 rink (Cheel) to replace the Canton Pavilion North (Walker). Other than shutting out Cornell at Lynah, the 9-8 game where Lappin and Neweindyk went back and forth, and beating them like a drum 6-1 in the 1989 Semi's and beating them 6-3 after trailing 3-0 at Appleton after 2, I'd say those are the games I remember the best. Now, we add to that with a nice shutout in their building. I'll take it, league game or not.

The only thing about Hayton who I knew last year when I watched him in the USHL was going to be really good for us is, if he keeps playing this way, he may be gone too quickly. Kyle, if you are reading this, see Derek Gustafson....stud goalie, now pumping gas someone where in OR and probably growing fatter. Stay at SLU. You'll never regret playing with a team like this that has the potential in a couple of years on the national stage.
              Would the NHL really look at signing a 145 lb. goalie early?

My comment about the games is that with four dates, with Cheel being a boring corporate rink, that a lot of the hate has gone out of this rivalry.

When I was a kid, things were much more serious. Too much mutual respect these days for my taste. You had to line up outside of Appleton at 5:30pm to get in the door. In the sixties, we genuinely considered Clarkson players to be toothless, brainless troglodyte thugs, Clarkson students ugly dumb zit faced dips&$ts with excess facial hair. You could tell a Clarkson student from an SLU student from several miles away. I'd much rather see us do pick up a couple more Pairwise worthy non conference opponents. Four Clarkson games further devalues the rivalry. It should be home and home last weekend of the season when the rivalry and the ECAC Standings are both on the line.

I would think with all of the realignments, that should work to our benefit in scheduling non-conference games, possibly even with some of the "won't go to Appleton" teams like BC. BU, Wisc, Mich. I would think that any of those teams would a ) be a wash as far as home game revenue vs. The extra Clarkson game and b) might make us some revenue for off year travel to those venues.
              St. Lawrence University
              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                It’s obviously very early in the season, but I’ve gotten my season simulator fired up to see what KRACH says the final standings will be. I update every Sunday based on the week's games. Come have a look in the thread!
                I looked at your thread and based on that it is spelled CRACK.
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                  Would the NHL really look at signing a 145 lb. goalie early?

My comment about the games is that with four dates, with Cheel being a boring corporate rink, that a lot of the hate has gone out of this rivalry.

When I was a kid, things were much more serious. Too much mutual respect these days for my taste. You had to line up outside of Appleton at 5:30pm to get in the door. In the sixties, we genuinely considered Clarkson players to be toothless, brainless troglodyte thugs, Clarkson students ugly dumb zit faced dips&$ts with excess facial hair. You could tell a Clarkson student from an SLU student from several miles away. I'd much rather see us do pick up a couple more Pairwise worthy non conference opponents. Four Clarkson games further devalues the rivalry. It should be home and home last weekend of the season when the rivalry and the ECAC Standings are both on the line.

I would think with all of the realignments, that should work to our benefit in scheduling non-conference games, possibly even with some of the "won't go to Appleton" teams like BC. BU, Wisc, Mich. I would think that any of those teams would a ) be a wash as far as home game revenue vs. The extra Clarkson game and b) might make us some revenue for off year travel to those venues.
                  I dispute the roster saying he is 140, but if it helps us then sure, in fact, he is more like 120.

So what's changed about the Techies from Potsdam? As for your other comments, again, that's why I hate the impact of Tom Budd. I'd be ALL for having these be the last games of the year, home and home. NOTHING irritates me more than when these games are scheduled while students are on break.

The rivalry is not what it used to be, but which one is?? There is too much emphasis on good behavior. Still, the games are hard fought and a good simulation of playoff intensity. I personally wish SLU would schedule themselves in more tourney's. They are fun, there is more hockey to watch, but, I am also fine with the reality that none of the big dogs having the balls to play us because they know there is a good chance for an upset. It is what it is. If we play them, then for Gawdsakes let's try to beat them.

Should make it to the Meehan Morgue of Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    I dispute the roster saying he is 140, but if it helps us then sure, in fact, he is more like 120.

So what's changed about the Techies from Potsdam? As for your other comments, again, that's why I hate the impact of Tom Budd. I'd be ALL for having these be the last games of the year, home and home. NOTHING irritates me more than when these games are scheduled while students are on break.

The rivalry is not what it used to be, but which one is?? There is too much emphasis on good behavior. Still, the games are hard fought and a good simulation of playoff intensity. I personally wish SLU would schedule themselves in more tourney's. They are fun, there is more hockey to watch, but, I am also fine with the reality that none of the big dogs having the balls to play us because they know there is a good chance for an upset. It is what it is. If we play them, then for Gawdsakes let's try to beat them.

Should make it to the Meehan Morgue of Friday.

There's no way Hayton is 120. He was listed for Sioux City at 145 two years ago and he's definitely grown since then. NHL central scouting does all the measuring and their pretty much spot on. He's listed at 6'0 160 now.
                    I've heard there are several NHL teams very interested in him, one team in particular. The last three goalies who have backed Hayton up have all been drafted in the NHL so I see no reason why a team won't pick him up.
                    Scouts don't care how much a goalie weighs, they care how they skate, how athletic they are, how mentally tough they are, and bottom line, how they keep the puck out of they net ! It seems obvious Hayton has got all of these and he gives us a chance to win every game.

Comment

Hayton may get picked up by an NHL team but weight has alot to do with the position. Smaller goalies tend to get worn out more easily and need to be a little bigger than him to withstand the rigors of the lengthy professional schedule. A few years ago, Eric Heffler was trying to establish himself in the professional ranks and he was told to gain some weight on his frame, he tried very hard to gain weight but couldn't pack on the pounds. I wish I had that problem.
                      Point being, Hayton is very good but jumping to the pros at this time wouldn't make much sense. As Got6 pointed out....see Gusto....
                      LETS GO BEARS!

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
                        There's no way Hayton is 120.
                        Ummmm, uhhhhh, it's called sarcasm. I know he is a lot bigger than the roster says, but for any scouts reading this I've heard he has been struck with food poisoning and is now down to 97 pounds. His new name is Stick Boy. That's not his role on team but his description.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                          Hayton may get picked up by an NHL team but weight has alot to do with the position. Smaller goalies tend to get worn out more easily and need to be a little bigger than him to withstand the rigors of the lengthy professional schedule. A few years ago, Eric Heffler was trying to establish himself in the professional ranks and he was told to gain some weight on his frame, he tried very hard to gain weight but couldn't pack on the pounds. I wish I had that problem.
                          Point being, Hayton is very good but jumping to the pros at this time wouldn't make much sense. As Got6 pointed out....see Gusto....
                          Plus, Gusto had the reverse problem of Heff. He was from Oregon so I'll always wonder about the source of his perpetual case of the munchies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                            Point being, Hayton is very good but jumping to the pros at this time
                            wouldn't make much sense. As Got6 pointed out....see Gusto....
                            Speed, athletic ability, and mental toughness is much more important than weight. Look at all the big lugs in college hockey that are highly touted and look how many of them are actually any good.
                            Weighing in at a whopping 168 lbs Ryan Miller proves just because your light doesn't mean you can't be a superstar.
                            I play goalie in my beer league and at 6'3" and weighing in at 235lbs doesn't make me strong,quick or any good, just the opposite actually !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
                              Speed, athletic ability, and mental toughness is much more important than weight. Look at all the big lugs in college hockey that are highly touted and look how many of them are actually any good.
                              Weighing in at a whopping 168 lbs Ryan Miller proves just because your light doesn't mean you can't be a superstar.
                              I play goalie in my beer league and at 6'3" and weighing in at 235lbs doesn't make me strong,quick or any good, just the opposite actually !!!!
                              That's fine but please understand that size has everything to do with that you described. If a player doesn't have the weight, they won't have the energy to do as you posted.
                              LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Great game by the Saints! Hayton looked good and the pressure and forechecking looked tough as well. Nice to see McGovern bury a couple as well as Sullivan and Lough tally a couple points. Nice Friday night and way to start the weekend. If this is mediocrity, I will take it every weekend. Tough task at hand tomorrow night vs Yale, but this team brings it every night. Sullivan must have missed the stats that when we beat Niagara, we were both tied for the final spot in the polls. Then when we split with Ferris St not only did our loss come in OT, but they were ranked 4th Nationally and we came up big the next night and beat them. Then we turn around and beat the #10 team in the nation (Miami of OH) and lose the next night to them in OT. Last weekend we face our top rival and tie them at home and pound them 4-0 in their own barn. All this by the pre-season 11th seed from the ECAC. Gotta love mediocre hockey Go Saints Go, beat Yale!

Comment

Working...
                                X