This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Leckster, the good news is we only took 4 penalties (and a matching minor). In today's game, that's probably an average number.

I agree with what has been said. We're young, probably shouldn't expect a lot of highs this year, but hopefully we see this tram grow into themselves through the year and in the next 2 seasons.

Comment

[Oprah] "YOU get a goal! YOU get a goal! YOU get a goal! YOU get ANOTHER goal!" [/Oprah]

Wow, a little point night for the boys in scarlet and brown tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        [Oprah] "YOU get a goal! YOU get a goal! YOU get a goal! YOU get ANOTHER goal!" [/Oprah]

Wow, a little point night for the boys in scarlet and brown tonight.
        Not sure what to make of this. Looks like SLU scored ten goals on 30 shots. On the other hand, the PP was 4-7. Was Niagara's goaltending that bad, or were SLU's chances that good? Considering the fact that the overall special-teams efficiency was actually POSITIVE, I probably shouldn't care!

Comment

A hugely entertaining game, but I hesitate to draw any conclusions this early. Especially since the Watertown Times reports that Niagara was down several players. But I love the FY and sophomore production. The future is bright.

My question, what's Gluchowski's status? The SLU website says he was injured in the 3rd. From what I've seen, he's a wonderful addition. Looks like he and Bayreuther will be a stellar D line.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
            My question, what's Gluchowski's status? The SLU website says he was injured in the 3rd. From what I've seen, he's a wonderful addition. Looks like he and Bayreuther will be a stellar D line.
            I watched the Niagara University video feed and their play by play guy said it apperead that Gluchowski had a broken leg. If that is the case his season may be done, which is too bad because he has looked very good in his first two games.
            SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
              I watched the Niagara University video feed and their play by play guy said it apperead that Gluchowski had a broken leg. If that is the case his season may be done, which is too bad because he has looked very good in his first two games.
              A portion of the SLU M/H website write-up said that, "The Saints last hit double digits in goals in a 10-1 win over Yale in 1996. Defensemen accounted for half of the scoring total as Chris Martin joined Bayreuther and Masella among the goal scorers, but the Saints did have two rookie defenders knocked out of action by injury as Matt Purmal was hurt in the first period and Nolan Gluchowski in the third."

I hope that Matt and Nolan are OK. Nice road split by the Saints.
              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                Thanks Spaceman. I certainly hope for Gluchowski's and the team's sake that the play by play guys were wrong. Lest I forget, I also hope that Purmal is OK. He hasn't made as much noise as Gluchowski, but he's on the team so he's just as important as anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
                  A hugely entertaining game, but I hesitate to draw any conclusions this early. Especially since the Watertown Times reports that Niagara was down several players. But I love the FY and sophomore production. The future is bright.

That would be a huge loss (even if he could get a medical red shirt). He was slotted to be Baker's replacement with smooth skating offensive upside. It's impossible to read anything into this weekend. RIT I am sure played with extra giddyup opening their building. One thing that is certain is that Carvy and crew know how to coach a PP. A team near 50% on the first weekend that lost all its offensive stars??? Maybe the stars are on the bench in the coaches corner? There are some real tests coming up. Look forward to the next month to see how these guys react playing some of the best teams in the nation.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    That would be a huge loss (even if he could get a medical red shirt). He was slotted to be Baker's replacement with smooth skating offensive upside. It's impossible to read anything into this weekend. RIT I am sure played with extra giddyup opening their building. One thing that is certain is that Carvy and crew know how to coach a PP. A team near 50% on the first weekend that lost all its offensive stars??? Maybe the stars are on the bench in the coaches corner? There are some real tests coming up. Look forward to the next month to see how these guys react playing some of the best teams in the nation.
                    The Good News: Congrats to Nolan Gluchowski on being this season's first ECAC ROTY.

The Bad News: He will be out for an "extended period" due to the injury he received in the 3rd period against Niagara. Really unfortunate, but glad the cupboard is not bare.

Comment

Does anyone have anything to say about the game last night?

From what I saw, we have a stud of a freshmen goaltender (about time for that), as he was phenomenal tonight! The defense is decent and we made some nice plays when called upon. However, we also made some bad decisions (younger/learning mistakes) that we need to work at for the future, far too many turnovers. We have a lot of team speed which sticks out at you right away as you watch this team. We used this to our advantage as we seemed to catch Ferris State off guard a bit with our speed, especially at the start with that quick goal.

All in all, this was a game that we put a lot of effort into and it's unfortunate to not come away with anything to show for it. On the flip side, we did show quite a bit of promise and we seem to be a team with tremendous upside. Not sure if this upside will translate into much of anything for this year, only time will tell. We will definitely be quite good in a couple of years, if not much sooner, that is for sure!
                      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                        The Good News: Congrats to Nolan Gluchowski on being this season's first ECAC ROTY.

The Bad News: He will be out for an "extended period" due to the injury he received in the 3rd period against Niagara. Really unfortunate, but glad the cupboard is not bare.
                        You guys can't buy a break.
                        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                        12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post

From what I saw, we have a stud of a freshmen goaltender (about time for that), as he was phenomenal tonight! The defense is decent and we made some nice plays when called upon. However, we also made some bad decisions (younger/learning mistakes) that we need to work at for the future, far too many turnovers. We have a lot of team speed which sticks out at you right away as you watch this team. We used this to our advantage as we seemed to catch Ferris State off guard a bit with our speed, especially at the start with that quick goal.

All in all, this was a game that we put a lot of effort into and it's unfortunate to not come away with anything to show for it. On the flip side, we did show quite a bit of promise and we seem to be a team with tremendous upside. Not sure if this upside will translate into much of anything for this year, only time will tell. We will definitely be quite good in a couple of years, if not much sooner, that is for sure!
                          Seventeen kids in the freshmen and sophomore class and we took Ferris State to OT. I'll take it. Especially without three of the best first year players not in the lineup with Gluchowski, Purmal and Horn. The fact is we are a young team that will take our lumps in the process of learning. Hayton had 44 saves last night and is playing great out of the gate. Speed is a great team attribute. You can't teach it and sometimes you can't even make adjustments for it. Just ask us after playing Harvard in 1989 when we were #1!

It is nice to have Tommy Thompson back too.

October is going to test this young team. I don't care what the results are as long as it makes us a better team in March and the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                            Great game .... the most outstanding goal tending effort I have ever seen. A future Ken Dryden Goaltender. Blocked 44 of 47 shots. Incredible. The question is, how do you allow another team to take 47 shots in the first place? Got to help out your goalie ...... can't leave him "hung-out" to dry:.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 10-18-2014, 12:09 PM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Win at Niagara was a dramatic turnaround from RIT game. Certainly a tale of 2 seemingly different teams

After viewing prior blowouts (in Portland to Maine and the other year vs Q Pac at Appleton) it is nice to no longer be on the receiving end

Frosh goalie should afford us the opportunity to steal a few games

Should be a most entertaining season
                              SLU65

Comment

Great win saints !!!!!
                                Best ECAC win this weekend !!!!
                                You have one HELL OF A GOALIE !!!!!
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X