PDA

View Full Version : UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RSTuthill
11-06-2014, 01:48 PM
UConn is now a hockey school. Amazing what conference affiliations can do...
The Voice of Clarkson Hockey, Bob Ahlfeld, was at the game (Clarkson plays Yale tomorrow night and he happened to be in town). I told him afterward that I had thought of him during the game. Another school that my alma mater (Clarkson) has to recruit against now. So be it. Good for the game.

Butch
11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
The Voice of Clarkson Hockey, Bob Ahlfeld, was at the game (Clarkson plays Yale tomorrow night and he happened to be in town). I told him afterward that I had thought of him during the game. Another school that my alma mater (Clarkson) has to recruit against now. So be it. Good for the game.
Our potential is obviously ridiculously scary. The crowd last night was very loud. We definitely will make the college hockey world proud.

kevin donnelly
11-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Hearing of UConn beating BC made me happy, if for only a moment.

FDNY99
11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
4-4 tie at BU tonight. Taking 3 of 4 points in back to back games is pretty awesome. Now on to the next game.....

RSTuthill
11-08-2014, 08:59 PM
4-4 tie at BU tonight. Taking 3 of 4 points in back to back games is pretty awesome. Now on to the next game.....
I am almost more impressed with this result than I was with the one on Wednesday. Wow.

Happy Husky
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Can a Husky fan help me find out how much it costs to watch Huskies games online,I have the link,I think but dont know the prices,hope it's inexpensive. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/collegesportslive/

FDNY99
11-09-2014, 05:32 AM
I am almost more impressed with this result than I was with the one on Wednesday. Wow.

Totally agree Dick. I really like how Cav has such a young team playing so far.

FDNY99
11-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Can a Husky fan help me find out how much it costs to watch Huskies games online,I have the link,I think but dont know the prices,hope it's inexpensive. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/collegesportslive/
You have to set up an account first...it's $9.95/month or $99.95/year

Jim
11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Terrific week to be a UConn hockey fan. Wednesday was just a terrific experience. Especially want to give a shout out to the BC fan who told me "If we don't win by 8, I'll consider it a loss." LOL,well guess what. Didn't have to consider it anything. It WAS a loss! and it was also a terrific college hockey game.

RSTuthill
11-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Totally agree Dick. I really like how Cav has such a young team playing so far.
I think that a psychological barrier has been overcome and that the Huskies are starting to EXPECT to win. Once that happens, you are in every game right to the end. Yes, there will be games which seem like blowouts still. But every team has those. Behind early, the coach opens it up sending more on the forecheck, the D pinching in more. A third of the time that gets you back in the game -- which means two thirds of the time it means you lose by a lot more (a game you were losing anyway). The next night you come back and win against the same team. So this last week has been fun even though we realistically expect more bumps down the road. We are enjoying the ride for what it is. A lot of fun.

FDNY99
11-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I think that a psychological barrier has been overcome and that the Huskies are starting to EXPECT to win. Once that happens, you are in every game right to the end. Yes, there will be games which seem like blowouts still. But every team has those. Behind early the coach opens it up sending more on the forecheck, the D pinching in more. A third of the time that gets you back in the game -- which means two thirds of the time it means you lose by a lot more (a game you were losing anyway). The next night you come back and win against the same team. So this last week has been fun even though we realistically expect more bumps down the road. We are enjoying the ride for what it is. A lot of fun.
That's the best description of what the fan base needs to expect from the program as I have seen! Thanks for that Dick. It is my hope that when everything is said and done and the plans for the on-campus barn/team facility are done that capacity is in the 5000-5500 range...do it right one time, the first time. That barn will be a loud place with easy access for the students.

J.D.
11-09-2014, 01:11 PM
have to say, last year was a pretty disappointing end to the season for you guys, no? i know your record isn't great thus far but looking at your Hockey East results, i'd say cav has the program right where he wants it right now. i think some of you were skeptical of the hire, but you have to be pretty encouraged right now. really just one bad game so far this year and it wasn't even a league game.

FDNY99
11-09-2014, 02:28 PM
have to say, last year was a pretty disappointing end to the season for you guys, no? i know your record isn't great thus far but looking at your Hockey East results, i'd say cav has the program right where he wants it right now. i think some of you were skeptical of the hire, but you have to be pretty encouraged right now. really just one bad game so far this year and it wasn't even a league game.

I would say yes to last year...BUT he turned over just under 1/2 the roster (12 new players..11 Freshmen and Evan Richardson the Soph transfer form BC) so I personally figured he had assembled a team of his players he thought could compete at the HE level. He is doing a really good job...when the names started to come out as to who would be interviewed..I was a bit shocked he wasn't named. He was the kind of guy Warde Manuel seemed to target as a AD..top Asst at a highly successful program at the level UCONN was trying to compete at. When he was named a finalist it seemed like members of the college hockey media were a bit shocked...but wrote him off due to his past job interviews (I think it was the UMASS-Amherst interview that was mentioned over and over again) and how he couldn't over come the success of Gwozdecky or the popularity and success Berard had as interim HC the season before. He was the right guy for this job...and I think he will be here a long time (although with success here I could see BC making a run at him if/when York retires).

RSTuthill
11-09-2014, 05:57 PM
I would say yes to last year...BUT he turned over just under 1/2 the roster (12 new players..11 Freshmen and Evan Richardson the Soph transfer form BC) so I personally figured he had assembled a team of his players he thought could compete at the HE level. He is doing a really good job...when the names started to come out as to who would be interviewed..I was a bit shocked he wasn't named. He was the kind of guy Warde Manuel seemed to target as a AD..top Asst at a highly successful program at the level UCONN was trying to compete at. When he was named a finalist it seemed like members of the college hockey media were a bit shocked...but wrote him off due to his past job interviews (I think it was the UMASS-Amherst interview that was mentioned over and over again) and how he couldn't over come the success of Gwozdecky or the popularity and success Berard had as interim HC the season before. He was the right guy for this job...and I think he will be here a long time (although with success here I could see BC making a run at him if/when York retires).
+1

Almost all of us wanted Berard to get the UConn job but I was pretty sure once it happened that we'd be fine with Cav -- and that has surely proved to be the case. This is practically a new team now. Very young because the scholarships are being phased in. But clearly Coach Cav knew where to go and what to say to get good players. And if UConn plays many more games with 8,000 in the house the recruiting will get even easier. They could get very good scary-quickly.

One final note, we were all very happy when Berard got the HC job although disappointed that Paul Pearl had left. Apparently the issue was one of scholarships now that HC is taking FB more seriously. Sounded like hockey lost some rides to FB and/or Title 9.

Kenny
11-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Raise your hand if you predicted UConn to be receiving votes for USCHO's Top 20 Division I rankings in 2014....

brassbonanza
11-10-2014, 01:31 PM
And if UConn plays many more games with 8,000 in the house the recruiting will get even easier. They could get very good scary-quickly.

8,000 fans doesn't sway hockey recruits much at all. If that were the case, UMass would be a whole lot better than they are. It's all about the facilities, the exposure on TV, and most importantly, an established pipeline to the NHL.

Attendance is rather meaningless, especially when a coach at BU or BC can say hey kid, you come here and you'll play in front of 18K in the Beanpot every year, or 18K at MSG, or 30K at Fenway - or better yet, you come here and you'll play in a BU-BC regular season game in front of 100+ scouts.

RSTuthill
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
8,000 fans doesn't sway hockey recruits much at all. If that were the case, UMass would be a whole lot better than they are. It's all about the facilities, the exposure on TV, and most importantly, an established pipeline to the NHL.

Attendance is rather meaningless, especially when a coach at BU or BC can say hey kid, you come here and you'll play in front of 18K in the Beanpot every year, or 18K at MSG, or 30K at Fenway - or better yet, you come here and you'll play in a BU-BC regular season game in front of 100+ scouts.
Good points, but time will tell.

Patman
11-10-2014, 08:00 PM

i agree... it were all about fan numbers and performance then Maine would no longer be getting much for recruits. I mean, I REALLY scratch my head at that.

RSTuthill
11-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Of course, it won't be long before UConn is at MSG. UConn has owned that place in men's BB and MSG wants UConn back on a regular basis. That said, I am not aware that any college hockey team ever drew 18K at MSG. Has it happened? Cornell v BC perhaps?

Guessing that the Huskies will be at Fenway soon too for the same reason. That would be a huge draw from down here.

Middle Street
11-11-2014, 06:55 AM
That said, I am not aware that any college hockey team ever drew 18K at MSG. Has it happened? Cornell v BC perhaps?

Cornell v BU at MSG last season was a sellout.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/boxes14.php?mbu_cor1.n30