PDA

View Full Version : National Semi-Final: Minnesota vs. North Dakota

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

mnstate0fhockey
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Isn't that what UMTC Duluth is?

I'm talking about smaller sattelite locations where you can take post-graduate classes. I took some of my MBA courses in Chaska, for instance.

But yeah, you're correct :)

Dirty
04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Cute that Gopher fans have resorted to claiming Duluth just so they can win the vaunted Homegrown Talent Title. And they pretended like they didn't care or questioned the validity of my factual statements.

Gurtholfin
04-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Cute that Gopher fans have resorted to claiming Duluth just so they can win the vaunted Homegrown Talent Title. And they pretended like they didn't care or questioned the validity of my factual statements.

That also gives them 6 National Championships.

Does that work in reverse? Does Mankato also have 6 titles?

This hard to keep up with.

mnstate0fhockey
04-07-2014, 03:23 PM

UMTC has satellite locations all over the state. If we're going to have a ridiculous debate about homegrown talent only counting when it comes from specific radiuses around the campuses where classes are held, might as well count all locations where classes are held.

On that note, based on the radius criterium provided, virtually every Twin Cities suberb would be included, as well as much of the Duluth, Rochester, Mankato, and St Cloud areas among others.

JoeGopher
04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
This whole homegrown talent issue is about as useful as a Dick flavored lollipop...

Dirty
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
This whole homegrown talent issue is about as useful as a Dick flavored lollipop...

A Gopher fan saying where a player is from is inconsequential? Shocking! Is that allowed? Will you have to give back your Goldy ears for speaking such blasphemy?

Tiggsy
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Your definition of homegrown includes the entire universe!

Makes sense now that the Gophers try to claim all sorts of titles and stuff when nobody else does. Their definition of "homegrown" includes everyone on the planet!!! :p:D:D

See, it's not MY definition. I can site you the source where it came from... an actual reference. That gives it WAY more credibility than yours or Dirty's. So I win. Woot!

Edit: I'm losing track. Who is the troll in this awesome intellectual discussion?

gopher wes
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I agree, but like I said earlier, Dirty is doing his job very well today.

EDIT: And FS23 is helping too. :D

Fighting Sioux 23
04-07-2014, 04:11 PM
See, it's not MY definition. I can site you the source where it came from... an actual reference. That gives it WAY more credibility than yours or Dirty's. So I win. Woot!

My definition came from Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. Not sure where yours actually came from, but it provided for a lot of laughs. :p:D:D

Dirty
04-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Edit: I'm losing track. Who is the troll in this awesome intellectual discussion?

Does it really matter? I'm quite sure this intellectual conversation is on par with, if not surpassing, those that occurred in 17th & 18th Century English Coffee Houses.

SanTropez
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
You guys do win the homegrown sugar beet competition if nothing else.

Dirty
04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
You guys do win the homegrown sugar beet competition if nothing else.

If you go by FS23's definition of homegrown, including the radii and the pi with the parallelograms and the rhombuseses, sure. But with my much simpler definition, probably not since Crystal Sugar is in East Grand Forks. You're thinking of the potato/french fry fart stink that is Simplot.

FredsDeadFriend
04-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, IF the allies had lost WW2, then we might all be Nazis and Ralph Engelstad and UND might be ruling America's collegiate realm these days, but thankfully. because of all the incredible contributions from the state of Minnesota, its OFFICIAL LEGAL residents and it's Flagship University and its Faculty and students, the Allies were able to overcome the evil Axis Powers and the world is not ruled by Nazis, Ralph Engelstad and the University of North Dakota.

Nope, instead democracy and freedom are alive and well, and the State of the University of Minnesota rules the American collegiate realm these days.

captain beefheart
04-07-2014, 04:38 PM

We don't "claim" umtc duluth. It is more like a benign cyst. Dirty, do you walk into a room "claiming" you have the clap? No. It is just common knowledge.

Sioux_fan
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Homegrown Definition:
1. grown or made at home or in your local area; or
2. raised in or coming from your local area

Local Definition:
1. pertaining to or characterized by place or position in space; spatial.
2. pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: a local custom.
3. pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country: local transportation.
4. stopping at most or all stations: a local train.
5. pertaining to or affecting a particular part or particular parts, as of a physical system or organism: a local disease.

Dirty's definition is certainly more appropriate than including everyone in the entire State of the University of Minnesota.

I'm sorry but even as a UND fan, I think this is a dumb argument. If you understood the socioeconomics of major cities, most middle and upper-middle class people move to the suburbs to raise kids because the nice areas of the suburbs are cheaper than the liveable parts of the inner city and crime/schools are generally better.

You need money to play hockey so no surprise that the inner cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul have weak youth numbers.

That being said, most in the Twin Cities identify as being part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, may work in the city, and take advantage of entertainment in the city.

A better definition would be to say that homegrown is the area/media market/locale where players grow up and identify with the program. To say Kyle Rau isn't homegrown because he grew up in Eden Prairie is ridiculous. He probably went to Gopher games growing up and watched them on tv.

Thus, the U of Minnesota includes the Twin Cities metro (and to an extent the state of Minnesota though FSN coverage). UND includes Grand Forks/East Grand Forks/Warroad/East Grand Forks/Roseau/Thief River and probably all of North Dakota. Of course its a moot point for UND since they have some of the most diverse geographic recruitment success of ANY college hockey team. And of course its unfair. The Twin Cities 3.5 million (and lots of money) vs 100,000 Grand Forks metro is not even fair. That's why this whole argument is stupid. Both Greater Grand Forks and the Twin Cities put out good talent per capita.

You can't even used your narrow (only attendance matters) definition for that in your favor right now.

<a href="http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php">Attendance</a>

So sad :(

I have to side with UND on this. The only reason UM won attendance this year is because of the outdoor game. Since Ralph Engelstad Arena opened, UND has beaten the U of M in attendance (except this year). And don't tell me its because REA is bigger because I've seen Gopher games on tv and they are usually not greatly attended. Don't get me wrong, the U of M has a large fan base but its no where near as loyal and well supported per capita as UND. Even Bruce Ciskie, the UMD radio announcer, has said that no fan base travels better than UND.

JoeGopher
04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
A Gopher fan saying where a player is from is inconsequential? Shocking! Is that allowed? Will you have to give back your Goldy ears for speaking such blasphemy?

No Gopher ears to speak of. To paraphrase a somewhat famous Minnesotan, "it's more important that they are playing for the name on the front of the jersey than the name on the back." Don't care where they are from, just that they give it all for The "M"

Fighting Sioux 23
04-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry but even as a UND fan, I think this is a dumb argument. If you understood the socioeconomics of major cities, most middle and upper-middle class people move to the suburbs to raise kids because the nice areas of the suburbs are cheaper than the liveable parts of the inner city and crime/schools are generally better.

You need money to play hockey so no surprise that the inner cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul have weak youth numbers.

That being said, most in the Twin Cities identify as being part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, may work in the city, and take advantage of entertainment in the city.

A better definition would be to say that homegrown is the area/media market/locale where players grow up and identify with the program. To say Kyle Rau isn't homegrown because he grew up in Eden Prairie is ridiculous. He probably went to Gopher games growing up and watched them on tv.

Thus, the U of Minnesota includes the Twin Cities metro (and to an extent the state of Minnesota though FSN coverage). UND includes Grand Forks/East Grand Forks/Warroad/East Grand Forks/Roseau/Thief River and probably all of North Dakota. Of course its a moot point for UND since they have some of the most diverse geographic recruitment success of ANY college hockey team. And of course its unfair. The Twin Cities 3.5 million (and lots of money) vs 100,000 Grand Forks metro is not even fair. That's why this whole argument is stupid. Both Greater Grand Forks and the Twin Cities put out good talent per capita.

Ummm...maybe you didn't get the memo. ALL OF THIS is dumb and stupid. I don't think anyone other than the Gopher fans are taking this seriously.

Dirty
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Ummm...maybe you didn't get the memo. ALL OF THIS is dumb and stupid. I don't think anyone other than the Gopher fans are taking this seriously.

I'm taking this all super cereal. UND = Homegrown Talent Royalty!

mnpokecheck
04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Ah, the specious argument that nobody gets it but me. Congrats....you may be a Whioux fan if......;)

mnstate0fhockey
04-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I have to side with UND on this. The only reason UM won attendance this year is because of the outdoor game.

No doubt. But you are assuming this is a rational discussion. This particular conversation stopped being rational when people started claming that game attendance is the be-all-end-all in determining which fan base is "most followed" and "hometown" talent is only considered players who grew up within a radius of 5 miles from campus.