X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College...the battle goes on...Boston twice in 15

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Maybe it is time to question the coaching staff...which player under Leaman has improved from his freshman year? Gillies isn't as good as he was as a frosh and Mauermann has regressed. Demo is now up to 22 or 23 games without a point and he keeps playing Hennessy who hasn't got a goal in his ten or so games.

Why would anyone break up Noel's line with the two non-scorers on his wing?

Oh wait, can't question Leaman who has one career NCAA win.
    Why would anyone break up Noel's line with the two non-scorers on his wing?

Oh wait, can't question Leaman who has one career NCAA win.[/QUOTE]

Zlax, You didn't actually watch last nights game did you? If you did, you would have known that the line chart wasn't the actual lines. They did not break up Noel's line. And Janko's line was the same. I agree that Leaman needs to make some adjustments. Mauermann needs to play center, because he is crippling Janko and Mingoia as a wing. No chemistry on that line since he joined it. Put Pinho on that line and make one up for Mauermann. Also need the stability of Adams back as Monk is struggling, -2 last night with an own goal and penalty. Another problem is Walmann on the point for the PP, he is a turnover machine. He is constantly trying to stick handle at the blue line and coughs it up(It's a freakin PP, pass the puck). How in the world is Parisi not on either PP unit, in my opinion the best offensive forward Providence has. He also has the best plus/minus on the team, so safe to say he can play defense too.

Statistically speaking on the regression Zlax mentions: Mingoia, Saracino, Luke, Jankowski, Tanev are ahead of last years pace. Acciari and Rooney are about the same. Pinho has almost replaced the scoring of Army. Demo and Ross are under last years pace, considerably.

This is what happens often in sports when a team does alot of winning and then loses a game. It is followed by a slump. Hopefully the 10 days off will help them refocus and play with some energy against Lowell.

Comment

Here is a top ten list that is nice to be on, from USA Today:

Top 10 U.S. colleges for men's ice hockey

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
        Here is a top ten list that is nice to be on, from USA Today:

Top 10 U.S. colleges for men's ice hockey
        We're number 1! We're number 1! ;-)
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Any word on Tanev's condition?
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Statistically speaking on the regression Zlax mentions: Mingoia, Saracino, Luke, Jankowski, Tanev are ahead of last years pace. Acciari and Rooney are about the same. Pinho has almost replaced the scoring of Army. Demo and Ross are under last years pace, considerably.
            Janko has four goals this year...Scored 13 last season. He has 15 points this season while having 25 last year. Not that far ahead in points.

Mingola has improved but this is his first full year with the squad.

But the dropoff with Mauermann and Demo is off the charts. Mauermann last year was a +22 and now is a +3.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I've hesitated to comment this season, but I figured with a two game slump and the sky suddenly falling I'd throw in my 2 cents. For some reason I turned on Jankowski this season. Every time I watch him he seems to be in the background or getting off the ice. He also just doesn't bang in the corners like the rest of the team. On the upside, obviously he has crazy skills and leave him with open ice he's going to score. So I started to think maybe the Jankowski/mauermann/mingoia line wasn't working and I spent way to much time running the numbers this morning to prove that. These numbers might not be perfect but I did check them twice...

Games Played with 1st line (jankowski/mauermann/mingoia) (7-2, avg team gf 3.33, avg team ga 2.22)
              Games played with different 1st line combo (7-6-1, avg team gf 2.0, avg team ga 1.92)
              Mauermann-Jankowski-Mingoia line has started 9 of the last 11, with a team record of 8-3

What did I learn? Pretty much nothing. If anything it proves the Mau-Jank-Min line has worked. Mauermann's early season slump seemed to end when this line started up. Then again, our schedule was much harder in the beginning of the season when the recent 1st liners weren't playing together. Also, Jankowski missed 4 games (not counting u-18) which creates an issue. And the worst part is that the whole 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line way to prove anything is obviously extremely imperfect. Long story short, I just wasted way to much time, but for some reason I'm a little more optimistic?

Comment

Originally posted by squidjigger View Post
                Long story short, I just wasted way to much time, but for some reason I'm a little more optimistic?
                \

Fred's rose colored glasses can be rented, I've heard.

I'm trying not get as frustrated as the Gillies=sieve crowd (he's only statistically the best goalie in school history), but it's kind of tough to go through that stretch of disappointing games and have to wait a week for the UML season. You lose and want to see them get back on the horse right away...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by squidjigger View Post
                  I've hesitated to comment this season, but I figured with a two game slump and the sky suddenly falling I'd throw in my 2 cents. For some reason I turned on Jankowski this season. Every time I watch him he seems to be in the background or getting off the ice. He also just doesn't bang in the corners like the rest of the team. On the upside, obviously he has crazy skills and leave him with open ice he's going to score. So I started to think maybe the Jankowski/mauermann/mingoia line wasn't working and I spent way to much time running the numbers this morning to prove that. These numbers might not be perfect but I did check them twice...

Games Played with 1st line (jankowski/mauermann/mingoia) (7-2, avg team gf 3.33, avg team ga 2.22)
                  Games played with different 1st line combo (7-6-1, avg team gf 2.0, avg team ga 1.92)
                  Mauermann-Jankowski-Mingoia line has started 9 of the last 11, with a team record of 8-3

What did I learn? Pretty much nothing. If anything it proves the Mau-Jank-Min line has worked. Mauermann's early season slump seemed to end when this line started up. Then again, our schedule was much harder in the beginning of the season when the recent 1st liners weren't playing together. Also, Jankowski missed 4 games (not counting u-18) which creates an issue. And the worst part is that the whole 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line way to prove anything is obviously extremely imperfect. Long story short, I just wasted way to much time, but for some reason I'm a little more optimistic?
                  Short story...the fourth line is useless
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

"UNH Downs #14 Providence: Goal-by-Goal"
                    Includes video highlights.
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      \

Fred's rose colored glasses can be rented, I've heard.
                      They are quite expensive, I am afraid. Listen, I just won't go negative on this team. After so many negative years under the Undertaker followed by the negative years under Army, I gave into the negativity and then gave up the season tix. Coming to games from upstate New York to watch lousy hockey, and believing a win would be a miracle on ice, was not my idea of fun.

While in New York I saw Nate build the Union program to what became a national champion. The championship caliber did not happen overnight nor over the first few years. I am watching him build the same thing here. The team is competitive and can beat anyone. I do not care about the preseason polls, they are BS anyway. My expectation is for this team to be competitive, place in the middle to top of HEA and perhaps play in the NCAA tournament. I still make a two hour drive to catch a game because I enjoy being there. If it was such a horrible performance as has been cast on this thread I wouldnt waste my time showing up for games or having daily rants on these boards. Life is too short.

This program is once again getting respect around the country. It's too bad it gets smeared here every day by some its "fans." I get the sense when they do win a national championship it won't be good enough.

Have a nice day. I will.

Comment

This program is once again getting respect around the country. It's too bad it gets smeared here every day by some its "fans." I get the sense when they do win a national championship it won't be good enough.
                        It won't be enough for me unless they win the championship game by two goals or more. I one goal victory would taint it for me. Especially if my team was offsides when the winning goal was scored RPI!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                          They are quite expensive, I am afraid. Listen, I just won't go negative on this team. After so many negative years under the Undertaker followed by the negative years under Army, I gave into the negativity and then gave up the season tix. Coming to games from upstate New York to watch lousy hockey, and believing a win would be a miracle on ice, was not my idea of fun.

While in New York I saw Nate build the Union program to what became a national champion. The championship caliber did not happen overnight nor over the first few years. I am watching him build the same thing here. The team is competitive and can beat anyone. I do not care about the preseason polls, they are BS anyway. My expectation is for this team to be competitive, place in the middle to top of HEA and perhaps play in the NCAA tournament. I still make a two hour drive to catch a game because I enjoy being there. If it was such a horrible performance as has been cast on this thread I wouldnt waste my time showing up for games or having daily rants on these boards. Life is too short.

Have a nice day. I will.

Bingo.....

Comment

With the talent they have its hard to believe they are not playing well, they seem to play to the standards of the opposition when they should be the one setting the bar

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                              It won't be enough for me unless they win the championship game by two goals or more. I one goal victory would taint it for me. Especially if my team was offsides when the winning goal was scored RPI!!!!
                              If it's RPI, we should score 11 goals and celebrate by the entire team being offsides.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Have a nice day. I will.
                                A while back I posted an enquiry as to what the relationship was between the players and the coach. It is rumored to not be good. Does anyone know what the truth is? Players leaving and acting out....bad players or lack of regard for the coach and the program? Honest question as I do not know the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X