This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dillon View Post
    Gillies is terribly inconsistent, and too many times doesn't seem to have his head in the game. I know this is blasphemy, but Ellis seems the more solid dependable goalie in his limited appearances. Gillies, while capable of great games at times, tends to give up too many cheap goals to instill alot of confidence.
    I guess I am not the only one that recognizes the inconsistent play by him.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Previous 17 games
      13-4
      4 losses team scored 1-0, 2-1, 2-1, 5-3.
      In Hockey East he is number one in goals against at 1.46 and save % at 956

If that isn't good enough, without Gillies you would be back to the 2009 era. Period
      Yes in losses by Gillies they have struggled to score but now in back to back weekends he has given up four goals to CC, and four goals in less than half a game to Brown. I don't care if he was sick against CC as it is an excuse to give him a break. If you are sick and not 100 percent be a good teammate and let the backup play.

He also gave up four goals in two periods to North Dakota in a big series and Ohio State put 5 behind him. BU put 4 in at Scheinder...
      Last edited by The Zlax45; 01-11-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        Don't know about that...Hayden Hawkey is already drafted but going to be coming off a knee injury. I wouldn't pencil Ellis in as the starter yet.

Briefly looking back at Union, looks like Leaman likes to ride one goalie consistently.

Giving up five goals in college hockey isn't getting it done.
        He didn't give up 5

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          He didn't give up 5
          Did I say he gave up five? I don't think I did. I said giving up five goals is playing losing hockey. The team gave up five...that is losing hockey at any level

Comment

• Re: Providence College...the battle goes on...Boston twice in 15

I was at the CC games and the Brown games, and Gillies played poorly. If he was sick in the first CC game he should have not played. Leaman should have started Ellis in the second Brown game, even though PC beat Brown in game 1, Gillies wasn't tested alot and looked out of sorts and slow in his reactions. I'm not trying to be a basher. Gillies was great as a freshman, but since the World Juniors last year, he has been inconsistent. He has looked great at times, but when he is off, he is really off, and the team seems to sense it and I think it effects everybody on the ice.

Comment

I was at the CC games and the Brown games, and Gillies played poorly. If he was sick in the first CC game he should have not played. Leaman should have started Ellis in the second Brown game, even though PC beat Brown in game 1, Gillies wasn't tested alot and looked out of sorts and slow in his reactions. I'm not trying to be a basher. Gillies was great as a freshman, but since the World Juniors last year, he has been inconsistent. He has looked great at times, but when he is off, he is really off, and the team seems to sense it and I think it effects everybody on the ice.
              You can't say that about Gillies...(sarcasm)

Comment

His record over past 17 games is top 3 in country, number one in Hockey East in GA and save %. If that isn't good enough, such is life and simply shows how little you know about hockey and the position. Little to none

Comment

I would not put Gillies out there as the reason for last night's loss as he was left on an island by his defense on those 4 goals. Even the 5th goal by Brown was due mainly to letting the Brown player skate free from behind the net right out front. People are expecting miracles every time Gillies steps out on the ice. Where do you think Friars would be without him. I think Ellis can be a decent goalie and has shown to be a good backup but please, to think the Friars would be better without Gillies playing as much as he has is wishful thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    You can't say that about Gillies...(sarcasm)
                    1. Those goals were on very poor defensive play. Gillies (and actually even Ellis on the 5th goal) should hire a divorce lawyer and sue the defense for divorce on the grounds of abandonment.
                    2. Someone joked the defense must have been watching the Patriots early defense in their game
                    3 you didn't know you would miss Mark Adams so much. All 3 of Browns even strength goals, well one was with the delayed penalty came with Walman and Monk on the ice. Walman has not looked any where as good since Adams was out. Certainly not pointing the finger at Monk, but he is what he is, a 7th defenseman and clearly his game does not mesh well with what Walman does best.
                    4. You know you are in trouble when the Acciari line is on the ice for the 2 true even strength goals, but it does show the total breakdown of the defense.
                    5. Divver made a comment that Brown's 4th line played well all weekend, though I believe they had no points, but it does kind of show up how poor our 4th line is.
                    6. I fully realize unless you believe Cromwell can give you solid minutes a major culprit in this game was Demopoulous. 2 bad penalties, one leading to 2 goals, extra attacker and then the penalty. Then just as Ellis gets to the bench he takes an offensive zone interference call. He was also on the ice for that extra attacker goal
                    7. If you have no wind in your sails to begin with, losing that 1st goal was huge. It was clearly never covered, just plain bad work by the ref to not follow it, and bad luck for PC in that the shooter was just lifting it as the whistle blew, if he had gotten it up in the air a split second faster the ref might have found it.
                    8. Need we discuss the power play and their inability to finish
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

His record over past 17 games is top 3 in country, number one in Hockey East in GA and save %. If that isn't good enough, such is life and simply shows how little you know about hockey and the position. Little to none

Comment

Simply look at either top goalies, Jay Williams, 4th ranked Miami, Matt O'Connor, 2nd ranked BU, Jamie Phillips, 8th ranked Mich Tech, all top ten ranked teams and goalies. Look at them over past 6/7 games. By the way, all are the only goalies ranked top ten on a top ten team. Rough patches to say the least.
                        Gillies is so far the least of PC's issues. PC hitting a rough stretch now is expected. Better now than late Feb
                        PC ready to roll

O'Connor, BU goalie, ranked top 10 in country in gialues, team ranked 2nd in country, has 3 wins in past 7 games, the other 4 non wins were all vs non ranked teams, including this weekend vs 54th ranked team, below Brown
                        Last edited by Hokydad; 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

The friars were playing better when they had trouble scoring goals. Now that they are scoring goals they are playing crappy defense and the goaltending is not exactly sharp.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                            I also to the extent I didn't see the game, say this is funny, you hear the diving thing about a couple of Hockey East teams, but PC is not one if them. Mauerman is a prime example he gets knocked around all the time and he just pops back up and keeps going. The opposite end of this spectrum is Brown does have a rep as being dirty. Most likely it is youthful inexperience (and maybe frustration), but that is something you work on, more than the players that rep is on Whittet. Funny in the run up to the game one of the things said was Brown has worked to overcome the abundance of penalties. I do remember Ricky was BS about the hit Corcoran put on one of his guys and Corcoran got supplemental discipline
                            ECAC rule no supplemental discipline upon review.

https://twitter.com/markdivver/status/542080742659215360

Comment

1 team in top ten won both games this weekend. All to lower ranked teams, 8 of which were not top 20
                              Go figure.

Get rid of their goalies and trash them immediatly

Comment

Down 2-1 to a terrible UNH squad with ten mins left...not a good start to the second half of the year at all

Comment

Working...
                                X