PDA

View Full Version : Providence College...the battle goes on...Boston twice in 15

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Jon
01-25-2015, 12:06 PM
So after BC we have tough series against Notre Dame, Maine, UCONN. They need to keep this up as we apparently have 1-2 games on hand against everyone ahead of us in the standings.

And we play UMASS who I refuse to take for granted.

The Zlax45
01-25-2015, 12:14 PM
So after BC we have tough series against Notre Dame, Maine, UCONN. They need to keep this up as we apparently have 1-2 games on hand against everyone ahead of us in the standings.

And we play UMASS who I refuse to take for granted.

PC should be considered heavy favorites in the rest of the games...I see them losing a game out at ND but Maine and UMass need to be 8 points. No excuse for losing to either of those teams.

UConn on the other hand is a fiesty squad since their goalie has been keeping them in games and they have been getting just enough goaltending to be in contention for home ice in the opening round of the Hockey East tourney. Nichols should be the first team goalie in Hockey East but doubt he gets named it.

cavbim
01-25-2015, 02:36 PM
UConn on the other hand is a fiesty squad since their goalie has been keeping them in games and they have been getting just enough goaltending to be in contention for home ice in the opening round of the Hockey East tourney. Nichols should be the first team goalie in Hockey East but doubt he gets named it.

Is that part of your anti Gillies agenda also. Look Nichols certainly is a big reason why UConn is competitive game in and game out, but despite being a defense first team he is 9th in conference in save percent and 10th in goals against. The difference in minutes played and shots seen between him and he who you have the agenda against is negligible. It is not like on a regular basis hee is seeing 40+ shots a game that might justify accepting the lesser numbers in those categories. Of course we won't mention who is clearly #1 in those categories.

As far as heavy favorite the rest of the way that is also a questionable statement. As had been said before look any week at the top 20 (the top 1/3 teams in Division 1). For instance this week I believe 2 top 20 teams did not play. Of the 18, 11 lost a game, 4 dropped 2 games. Every game is a dog fight. Yes for instance the Brown loss is tough seeing instead of finding their stride with a young team they seem to have thrown in the towel, losing 4, and getting their butts handed to them in 3. Then again maybe that PC game and the Mayor's cup was their season. You will notice even though they lost both games CC fought the soon to be new #1 North Dakota tooth and Nail in their building

The Zlax45
01-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Recognize you fail to say that Gillies has a .932 save percentage and Nichols has a .926 save percentage in all games. Nichols is playing in front of a much worse defensive corps and been able to keep the team in the hunt this season.

Gillies wasn't the reason PC won or lost this weekend. The defensive corps was good on Saturday night while on Friday I would say Gillies and his defensive corps was below average. Several turnover right in front of the net that Lowell missed their opportunity.

cavbim
01-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Recognize you fail to say that Gillies has a .932 save percentage and Nichols has a .926 save percentage in all games. Nichols is playing in front of a much worse defensive corps and been able to keep the team in the hunt this season.

Gillies wasn't the reason PC won or lost this weekend. The defensive corps was good on Saturday night while on Friday I would say Gillies and he defensive corps was below average. Several turnover right in front of the net that Lowell missed their opportunity.

Because to be named to Hockey East allstar team they consider only 22 games.....the league games so its .950 vs .919. Put that UNH degree to better use

The Zlax45
01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Because to be named to Hockey East allstar team they consider only 22 games.....the league games so its .950 vs .919. Put that UNH degree to better use

Only one stat matters is wins and losses where Gillies is at .583 while O'Connor is at .792.

Stats aren't always telling the full story.

cavbim
01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Only one stat matters is wins and losses where Gillies is at .583 while O'Connor is at .792.

Your changing your statement you were talking about Nichols now you bring up Nichols.
Yes clearly with over a third of the league play to go I would say O'Connor is one of 4 goalies in the discussion.

Do note though I was able to look quickly at conference stats dating back to o4-05. In that period not one qualified goalie ended the year with the save pct Gillies has and exactly 2 goalies in that whole time frame had lower goals against, both played only just about half the minutes Gillies has played already, one back in the 27 game schedule

Again just look at baseball they say the most meaningless pitching stat is wins, same goes got hockey. You've seen repeatedly brought up here about the lack of goals, hence the jokes about waiting for Gillies to take it upon himself and score (but I guess that just messes with your agenda). We mentioned 5 of Providence's losses are by 1 goal (a 0-1 game and 3 1-2 games), a little timely offense and that stat is also better

Netman
01-25-2015, 09:05 PM

Enlighten us. What is the full story? What is your agenda?

The Zlax45
01-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Enlighten us. What is the full story? What is your agenda?

Gillies is far from a god like you guys make him out to be...PC would have one less win this year with another goalie. The young man is good but seen plenty of other goalies play much better than him.

The thing is that it is Leaman's system over Gillies talent why they are winning.

Leaman's last season at Union, his goalie Kevin Kincaid had a 1.99 GAA and a .920ish save percentage. He did make the NHL though.

Even Mayotte in Nate's first season with Union was respectable with 2.69 GAA and a .918 save percentage.

Beaudry had one of the crazier seasons in Leaman's first year giving up a ton of goals on some nights but still finished with a .896 save percentage.

It is always the argument is it the player or the system?

steven22
01-26-2015, 07:00 AM
The thing is that it is Leaman's system over Gillies talent why they are winning.

Hmmmm. I've been following PC for over 35 years, been to close to 800 PC games, I think I understand the systems that the coaches have been using over the years. I'm going to call Coach Leaman today and see if he will put me in net this Friday against The Eagles. After all I'm pretty sure I know the system, I'm even going to see if he will let me try and score a goal. I hope he lets me pick my lucky number for my game jersey! That always helps, it's part of the system.

Jon
01-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Hmmmm. I've been following PC for over 35 years, been to close to 800 PC games, I think I understand the systems that the coaches have been using over the years. I'm going to call Coach Leaman today and see if he will put me in net this Friday against The Eagles. After all I'm pretty sure I know the system, I'm even going to see if he will let me try and score a goal. I hope he lets me pick my lucky number for my game jersey! That always helps, it's part of the system.
Is Leaman's system really more defensively orientated than Pooley's dump and watch, cycling monstrosity from 10 years ago? Gotta wonder at what point certain people give the statistically best goalie in the program's history his due.
The only thing Gillies has yet to do is go on the insane run Terreri did in 1985.

The Zlax45
01-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Is Leaman's system really more defensively orientated than Pooley's dump and watch, cycling monstrosity from 10 years ago? Gotta wonder at what point certain people give the statistically best goalie in the program's history his due.
The only thing Gillies has yet to do is go on the insane run Terreri did in 1985.

But Gillies has played his worst games when the pressure is on...Blown out by Russia, played horrible against UNH last year, and was below 90 percent save percentage vs Union in the NCAA Tournament. The year before in two must wins games vs Lowell lost including giving up three goals on 25 shots in a winner take all game at home.

Let's see Gillies get to a frozen four before we anoint this kid the next saint because he could just be like Nolan Schafer that brought you to the NCAA Tournament with being an All-American but never could bring you to the promise land.

steven22
01-26-2015, 12:40 PM
But Gillies has played his worst games when the pressure is on...Blown out by Russia, played horrible against UNH last year, and was below 90 percent save percentage vs Union in the NCAA Tournament. The year before in two must wins games vs Lowell lost including giving up three goals on 25 shots in a winner take all game at home.

Let's see Gillies get to a frozen four before we anoint this kid the next saint because he could just be like Nolan Schafer that brought you to the NCAA Tournament with being an All-American but never could bring you to the promise land.

I have never seen any person so obsessed with the Providence College men's goalie position. It's comical reading your posts. You have some major issues you need to internally deal with.

By the way, just heard from Coach and the NCAA, I'm cleared to start against The Eagles. I have one game of eligibility left. I'm Psyched! Hope the system works for me or I'm going to be in Big Trouble! LOL.

PcFriars13
01-26-2015, 01:05 PM

I mean he did okay this year against Boston College. Unless you've got something against a 43-save shutout against the number 11 team in the country at the time.

The Zlax45
01-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I mean he did okay this year against Boston College. Unless you've got something against a 43-save shutout against the number 11 team in the country at the time.

Not a tournament game or for a conference title.

If we are going to play that game, Matt Grogan should be a god then as he beat the #9 ranked Friars last year with a 58 game performance as he stole that game.

Lets pump the brakes on all the love with Gillies....

The Zlax45
01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
I have never seen any person so obsessed with the Providence College men's goalie position. It's comical reading your posts. You have some major issues you need to internally deal with.

By the way, just heard from Coach and the NCAA, I'm cleared to start against The Eagles. I have one game of eligibility left. I'm Psyched! Hope the system works for me or I'm going to be in Big Trouble! LOL.

Come back to me next season and see the numbers PC puts up between the pipes. Bet they are right around the same GAA.

steven22
01-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Come back to me next season and see the numbers PC puts up between the pipes. Bet they are right around the same GAA.

One game at time. I'm just hoping I don't inflate the GAA this Friday night. I hope the system holds up for me. LOL

Jon
01-26-2015, 08:37 PM
So that shutout of QU last year in the NCAA's doesn't count?

PcFriars13
01-26-2015, 09:37 PM
So that shutout of QU last year in the NCAA's doesn't count?

shhh you're disrupting his narrative

cavbim
01-27-2015, 09:33 AM

Doubt it . As I said below in the past 2 years only 2 goalies have had a lower gaa then what Gillies has now and none his equal in save pct. don't set up a scenario where next year you will crap on Ellis

Also as The Fred's have mentioned twice below after years of losing how to win big games in a process. Getting that change of culture involves not just the goalie, but the whole team