This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College...the battle goes on...Boston twice in 15

I hate being not being able to go to these games and getting sparkling critique about easy shut outs, literal morons and whatever the hell blind officials UVM fans were complaining about.

PK is getting better. Now about that power play....

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
      I hate being not being able to go to these games and getting sparkling critique about easy shut outs, literal morons and whatever the hell blind officials UVM fans were complaining about.

PK is getting better. Now about that power play....

No clue what they are complaining about...I think it was Tanev that was called for a terrible charging penalty for a clean open ice hit.

The UVM bench went crazy I guess on an open ice hit that I missed that the refs talked about.

PC hit Hoffman but were pushed into him thus the reason no penalty was called
      Last edited by The Zlax45; 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        No clue what they are complaining about...I think it was Tanev that was called for a terrible charging penalty for a clean open ice hit.

The UVM bench went crazy I guess on an open ice hit that I missed that the refs talked about.

PC hit Hoffman but were pushed into him thus the reason no penalty was called
        UVM lost that game and PC was the better team for sure last night but the PC player was not pushed into hoffman. Paliotta stopped before the crease. It was the spin move he tried that put him into Hoffman. He did that on his own.. there was no push.

Comment

PC had the better chances and it's hard to believe more of them didn't result in goals. I thought PC outplayed VT about 5 out of 6 periods over the weekend, and if they put out this kind of effort consistently going forward, things will work out well. Walman stood out and is capable of making some great plays, and is strong at carrying the puck out of the zone and setting up the forwards nicely. VT should be ecstatic about leaving here with a split.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
            PC had the better chances and it's hard to believe more of them didn't result in goals. I thought PC outplayed VT about 5 out of 6 periods over the weekend, and if they put out this kind of effort consistently going forward, things will work out well. Walman stood out and is capable of making some great plays, and is strong at carrying the puck out of the zone and setting up the forwards nicely. VT should be ecstatic about leaving here with a split.
            You get weekends like this.. VT outplayed ND in South Bend and got one point.. They dominated both games with about 10 minutes of "breakdowns" and thus the weekend slipped away. Good teams find a way to win games they should lose. The season will see how that pans out for all of us.

Comment

The first half of the year has turned out to be quite the buzzsaw. Of the 5 opponents, 3 have been ranked in the top 20 (BU, North Dakota, and Vermont), along with one team receiving votes (Merrimack). With that said, Providence needs to come out of Durham with 3 (or 4) points. Although these are games on paper that they should win, this team has struggled mightily to string it together.

I was hoping that the 3-0 win over Vermont would've sparked something on this team, in terms of a run, but I guess it just was not meant to be-- at least for another week. With that said, PC is coming up on on some opponents where they need to do some damage against, especially if they have any real postseason aspirations:

11/21 - 11/22 - 2 games this weekend at UNH -- NEED 3 (or 4) points; Anything less will be a disappointment

11/25 - Versus 3-6-2 Army -- Need a W here.

11/29 - Versus (12) Boston College (as of 11/17). BC, like Providence, has been shaky-- beating lesser opponents and struggling with the better squads. Demko has been battling a fever and a hip injury, the team is having problems with their upperclassmen generating offense, and Santini is out until the second semester.

12/3 @ Northeastern and 12/6 versus Northeastern. This is another series where the team needs to have, at least, 3 points.

12/9 versus (6) Colgate. The team can obviously re-assess itself in a few weeks, but based upon Colgate's hot start -- a tie would be a nice result, and a win would certainly help in the pairwise. Easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by friarfan7 View Post
                The first half of the year has turned out to be quite the buzzsaw. Of the 5 opponents, 3 have been ranked in the top 20 (BU, North Dakota, and Vermont), along with one team receiving votes (Merrimack). With that said, Providence needs to come out of Durham with 3 (or 4) points. Although these are games on paper that they should win, this team has struggled mightily to string it together.

I was hoping that the 3-0 win over Vermont would've sparked something on this team, in terms of a run, but I guess it just was not meant to be-- at least for another week. With that said, PC is coming up on on some opponents where they need to do some damage against, especially if they have any real postseason aspirations:

11/21 - 11/22 - 2 games this weekend at UNH -- NEED 3 (or 4) points; Anything less will be a disappointment

11/25 - Versus 3-6-2 Army -- Need a W here.

11/29 - Versus (12) Boston College (as of 11/17). BC, like Providence, has been shaky-- beating lesser opponents and struggling with the better squads. Demko has been battling a fever and a hip injury, the team is having problems with their upperclassmen generating offense, and Santini is out until the second semester.

12/3 @ Northeastern and 12/6 versus Northeastern. This is another series where the team needs to have, at least, 3 points.

12/9 versus (6) Colgate. The team can obviously re-assess itself in a few weeks, but based upon Colgate's hot start -- a tie would be a nice result, and a win would certainly help in the pairwise. Easier said than done.
                What someone agreeing with me about this poor start? Watch out for the people saying you don't know hockey

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  What someone agreeing with me about this poor start? Watch out for the people saying you don't know hockey
                  It's ok to have a differing opinion then the rest of the crowd. Last I checked there is no poster on here with the credentials to trump anyone else's opinion.

My take is that they are off to a poor start. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that but I welcome the discussion. They were ranked 3rd in the country to start the season and promptly lost to an Ohio State team that is currently 3-6-1 overall. PC got the win the next night in OT. PC lost and got a tie against UND but since it was at the Ralph the tie seemed like it treated as a win. PC has been good for a split each of their last three series and they somehow still remain ranked in the top twenty despite a losing overall record. Timely scoring has been an issue as has team defense and taking stupid penalties. I think the pp and penalty kill leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Anything less than a sweep this weekend against UNH and I'd actually say that their start is **** poor. I think Z rocked the apple cart by mentioning Gillies. Gillies seems to be above reproach this year. I clearly remember his trick or treat play when he returned from the World Juniors last season so I think it's ok to critique his performances without people freaking out. Personally, I think Gillies is a slightly above average goalie who is prone to stretches where his head is elsewhere. I'm curious to see how the next few weeks will pan out for Gillies and the rest of the team.

PC has an opportunity to get themselves together defensively which should make Gillies life easier and this next string of games should help some of the players coming of injury to regain timing and get into game shape for the long haul.

Comment

Gillies was outstanding up at Merrimack but had a total mental lapse giving up the goal that ended up costing them the game. These are the things you look at and see bad mental decisions.

Gillies gets both starts this weekend and I think Ellis gets the Army game. Nick played well out there at West Point last year even though PC was asleep throughout the game. The team needs to start playing like the number 3 team in the country if they want to be in the NCAA tournament because right now, this will be the most disappointing PC team since 2001-2002.

Comment

I feel like 2001- 2002 was probably worse. At best, this is mediocre. They really need to go on some kind of run soon. If only for our sanity.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        I feel like 2001- 2002 was probably worse. At best, this is mediocre. They really need to go on some kind of run soon. If only for our sanity.
                        Well, I will live with this compared to 2008-09's 7-22-5 team. The preseason polls are messing with your heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                          Through 11-24-2001, that squad was 5-8-1...we will see how this year's team is after this weekend.

Comment

Guaranteed no one gets one by Gillies tonught

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Guaranteed no one gets one by Gillies tonught
                              That's right coz the game is cancelled due to ice problems! Tomorrows game is still on scheduled for 5. No word on reschedule for tonight's game.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-21-2014, 06:09 PM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

[We are going tomorrow night and we have a hotel room booked. Let's hope game is played.QUOTE=HockeyRef;6044467]That's right coz the game is cancelled due to ice problems! Tomorrows game is still on scheduled for 5. No word on reschedule for tonight's game.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X