Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Will the realignment talk keep going?

Who will leave early from FSU and MSU (if anyone)?

Will anyone else leave early (Tech guys seem to think that they might have a few)?

Who will be coming into the league (player-wise) next year, and who gets deferred?

Who will be the new commissioner?

These questions and more face the nWCHA going forward.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Who will be the new commissioner?

GFM
    Dave Danis of Marquette should be the next Commish.

He knows logistics, money, and WCHA. Plus Marquette would be a great location as future home of the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post

He knows logistics, money, and WCHA. Plus Marquette would be a great location as future home of the WCHA.
      I am sure Marquette has many redeeming qualities but it won't be the home for any conference HQ.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I am sure Marquette has many redeeming qualities but it won't be the home for any conference HQ.
        The WCHA offices can be at Stuckos.

Marquette is one of the most livable cities in America.

Comment

Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

...from June 15 to September 15.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

The WCHA offices can be at Stuckos.

Being livable has nothing to do with it.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              ...from June 15 to September 15.
              Let's make that July 1 this year. We've gotta get the snow cleared for the parade.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                I'm not sure the league needs a brick and mortar HQ. It is already splintered between Denver, the Cities and Madison. Basically, I guess whatever the mailing address is will be called the "league office." It will likely be wherever the next commissioner resides.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

And knows that right now in college hockey, the logistics and money don't mesh very well and there are no simple solutions. Common sense and logic were throw right out with the Zamboni snow a long time ago.

Comment

I'm really happy to see 3 up and down teams in the frozen four. I hate the trap.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

They really need to pick the right candidate for commissioner, there are many improvements that could be made, and a forward thinking commissioner could be the first step in the right direction.

As far as conference alignments go, I'd figure out what is common sense, throw that idea in the garbage, and go with the exact opposite.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        As far as conference alignments go, I'd figure out what is common sense, throw that idea in the garbage, and go with the exact opposite.
                        Maine, Vermont, Dartmouth, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, LSSU, Northern, and Tech form the Big Snow Conference. Two Ontario schools join the NCAA and become the 9th and 10th members.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Maine, Vermont, Dartmouth, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, LSSU, Northern, and Tech form the Big Snow Conference. Two Ontario schools join the NCAA and become the 9th and 10th members.
                          Then petition the government to change the time zones from being vertical to HORIZONTAL, so all games are in the same timezone. Wait, what?
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Will the realignment talk keep going?

Who will leave early from FSU and MSU (if anyone)?

GFM
                            On leaving early from Mankato (And let me preface this by saying that I have ZERO inside information. This is just fan speculation.), the only one I see as a real possibility would be Stephon Williams. He is an Islanders draft pick, and they may see little value in having him stay a year if he isn't going to play. On the flipside, he's young for a goalie, and they may not want to use a roster spot on a minor league team until they've seen a little more of him.
                            Others who are unlikely to leave, but there might be a slim chance:
                            Teddy Blueger - Goals dropped from 6 to 4 last year, but assists were up from 13 to 22. More importantly, I think he developed a lot as a player. Was used on the PK more often as the season went on, and in the last few games of the year, he became our main faceoff guy (and won 55.4%). More defensively responsible, and played a little stronger. I would think, however, that the Penguins would want to see him stay another year. Pittsburgh already has some offensive talent on their roster.
                            Matt Leitner - Free agent. Tremendous talent. But a pro organization might want to see him improve his consistency, conditioning, and leadership.
                            Zach Stepan - Nashville prospect. Had a good (but not great) Freshman year. Very solid player who does everything well, but maybe nothing at an A+ level that would cause the Predators to want to rush him. Needs to add some muscle. The only reason Nashville might want to sign him would be that they're hurting for forwards.

As for realignment - Really? One year in, and everybody starts jumping ship? I know these new leagues seemed, in some cases, like an odd marriage, but they're not a Kardashian marriage. I think they'll last at least 3 years.

Comment

I think there were some teams who joined, and had a lot of worry about how things would go. In fact I think most teams were concerned about it.

Now that we've had a year, the reffing isn't too bad, the administration is set up, and we have a handle on the finances going forward, I think everyone might just relax. As long as we did not as a league, lose money. I think overall most teams came out better than they thought they would financially.

I would like to know what UAH thinks about their first year and what their reality was vs what they thought when they got into the league. Plus do they expect to have a lot more fans next year. Based on the football stuff, maybe they will get a lot of away games early and a lot of home games late for instance.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                              X