The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

If the WCHA won't show interest due to the regional nature of the network, at least MTU, NMU, LSSU, and FSU ought to be looking to strike a deal of their own.

The Griffins are clearly the anchor team for the network, and given their recent success and affiliation with the Wings, that should give them a modest built-in audience for 6-8 months out of the year at least. With the increasing bombardment of TV advertising now, I think that seems to offset the costs of running a minor network - why else would there be hundreds of these regional channels now?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      If the WCHA won't show interest due to the regional nature of the network, at least MTU, NMU, LSSU, and FSU ought to be looking to strike a deal of their own.

The Griffins are clearly the anchor team for the network, and given their recent success and affiliation with the Wings, that should give them a modest built-in audience for 6-8 months out of the year at least. With the increasing bombardment of TV advertising now, I think that seems to offset the costs of running a minor network - why else would there be hundreds of these regional channels now?
      Just curious what would be involved for a team to strike a deal on their own? I assume that they are allowed to do so if they choose...

I would be curious who would cover production costs for something like this though... Live broadcasts seem like they would be pricey for an operation of this size...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        Just curious what would be involved for a team to strike a deal on their own? I assume that they are allowed to do so if they choose...

I would be curious who would cover production costs for something like this though... Live broadcasts seem like they would be pricey for an operation of this size...
        Depends on how the package was drawn up. Using NMU as an example, they could use volunteers (similar to the B2 feed, some WNMU productions) and uplink the feed for MES to satellite downlink and then broadcast. Unless MES has some deep pockets, or a solid advertising commitment, and would be rolling an HD production truck to each location to produce the feed themselves.

Just spitballing, but this website says it's approximately $15,000 to rent a production truck. The WCHA or each school could... just spitballing... set up where they purchase cheap air time from MES, and in turn the WCHA/schools can sell advertising to cover the costs of producing the games/purchasing air time. The Chicago Wolves pony up for one of Corplex's HD trucks for every one of their games (except regular season games IN Canada), and they used to purchase air time on Comcast Chicago's local cable access channel, and currently purchase air time from WCIU's The U too channel (which broadcasts over-the-air in Chicagoland along with cable/satellite).

I don't see each University forging separate deals, but I COULD see the Michigan schools, for example, working together to get advertising/sponsorship to cover costs to provide a game of the week.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Bowling Green has quite a few home games televised on BCSN (Buckeye Cable Sports Network). Ironically, if you live in Bowling Green, you are stuck with Time Warner and cannot see the games. Toledo, however, can.

Comment

http://overtheboards.net/recruiting-...-wcha-uaa-uah/

Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Why hasn't the WCHA released a conference composite schedule yet? All the league games and dates are known.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
                What's wrong with the streaming option? An HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV makes for a pretty good view, especially if all you're doing is duplicating the streaming anyway.
                The WCHA's number one goal needs to be increasing the fanbase in every market and getting more people interested enough in their teams to buy tickets. There's just not enough people that care enough about hockey at those schools for the WCHA to be successful, or possibly even survive. Streaming at $7 a game contributes exactly zero to that goal. Putting games on local cable and getting casual fans more interested in the sport might help.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
                  So where do you find the advertising dollars to cover those costs in markets like Houghton, the Soo, Big Rapids & Marquette? How deeply do those dollars cut into the current broadcast partners revenues? Those organizations that invest tens of thousands of dollars each year to cover their respective schools in multiple sports with minimal, if any profit? What's wrong with the streaming option? An HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV makes for a pretty good view, especially if all you're doing is duplicating the streaming anyway.
                  Oh cool. Lemme call up TV6 and tell them to stop their efforts into broadcasting NMU and/or MTU games, since you say it's just a big waste of time.

You have Minnesota Public Television's number handy? I want to let them know that you feel their efforts in broadcasting Bemidji games is a lost cause. Just air some Lawrence Welk in their place.

I would think the TV side would be an additional marketing tool available to the schools and/or the WCHA. Like Maize said, it's a way to draw casual viewers into your product. As for the sponsorship, why does it have to be local businesses in those markets? Who says Schwan Food Company wouldn't want to advertise more to the WCHA markets if the WCHA spearheaded the TV package? Mother Mining? Wells Fargo? Caterpillar? Meijer?

I'm not saying the new commissioner needs to visit every business with his hat in hand, but there are wells to tap instead of going back to same dry ones.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh, and to add to the discussion of sponsorship: I believe companies would love to partner with the WCHA, considering the WCHA's status as a 501(c)(3) Charitable Organization. What a great way for companies to make a donation to lessen their tax burden AND get "free" advertising by the WCHA.

I mean, the WCHA's tax returns even state their mission is to "Improve and Promote Amateur Athletics." Surely the additional donations could help offset their stated expenses of "Distribution of Surplus Funds to Member Organizations at the End of Each Year With Equal Amounts to Each Organization," "Incurs Expenses for Statistics Promotion of the Sport and Publications. Operate Amateur Hockey League Where a League Champion is Determined," and "Incur Expense and Pay For All Officiating Expenses for all League Games."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Why can't we allow the cup winner host the next years playoffs? Would give each school a year to advertise and prepare, yet still allow the WCHA to have time to prep. I would go to Alaska if I had a year to plan it ahead of time. Just a thought.

Comment

Interesting idea , but seems too much like travel hockey than NCAA Div 1 league.

Comment

• To me it seems a cost effective way to ensure an enthusiastic crowd coupled with low overhead and a hell of a reason to fight for the title each and every year. Would also allow for best airfares and package deals to be produced. I think it would be great and perhaps the smaller airlines might want to sponsor flight packages.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
                            To me it seems a cost effective way to ensure an enthusiastic crowd coupled with low overhead and a hell of a reason to fight for the title each and every year. Would also allow for best airfares and package deals to be produced. I think it would be great and perhaps the smaller airlines might want to sponsor flight packages.
                            The problem there is that you don't know who, if anyone would need flight accommodations and from where until as little as 3 days before travel. Which one of these smaller airlines that serve Houghton or Marquette or Bemidji or any market is going to hold 25-30 seats on a maybe?
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              The problem there is that you don't know who, if anyone would need flight accommodations and from where until as little as 3 days before travel. Which one of these smaller airlines that serve Houghton or Marquette or Bemidji or any market is going to hold 25-30 seats on a maybe?
                              How is that different from what they currently do?
                              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
                                Why can't we allow the cup winner host the next years playoffs? Would give each school a year to advertise and prepare, yet still allow the WCHA to have time to prep. I would go to Alaska if I had a year to plan it ahead of time. Just a thought.
                                I like it.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X