PDA

View Full Version : Mid-West Regional North Dakota/Wisconsin & Ferris State/Colgate

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MagnessMan
03-24-2014, 05:47 PM
On paper the Sioux/Bucky first round game might be the marquee game of the tournament.

willythekid
03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
On paper the Sioux/Bucky first round game might be the marquee game of the tournament.

Meh, the becky fans will be too busy having sex with roadkill to care about this matchup.

Dirty
03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Meh, the becky fans will be too busy having sex with roadkill to care about this matchup.

Plus they'll still be hungover from drinking a couple gallons of paint thinner after their pumpkin pushers get destroyed by Baylor the night before.

MavHockey14
03-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Go SIOUX

darker98
03-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Plus they'll still be hungover from drinking a couple gallons of paint thinner after their pumpkin pushers get destroyed by Baylor the night before.
That will ruin my bouncy ball bracket, but make my hockey bracket golden.

Terry Switzer
03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Or the Sioux will lose in the first game just like 2009 and 2010:D

darker98
03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Or the Sioux will lose in the first game just like 2009 and 2010:D
As written in Scripture. We will lose to B.C. in the Championship game.

Terry Switzer
03-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Well if you do, have a better showing than UW 5 - 0 defeat in 2010

Slash01
03-24-2014, 10:23 PM

On paper? No.

On ice.

MagnessMan
03-24-2014, 11:06 PM
On paper? No.

On ice.

Sometimes it doesn't always play out that way "on ice"--especially first round. My guess if it aint close the advantage will be Bucky's.

SJHovey
03-25-2014, 09:40 AM
It's more marquee by name or reputation than current performance, IMHO.

Notwithstanding a second half showing that enabled UND to sneak into the tournament, they are just 5-4 in their last 9 games, with 5 played at home and 2 on neutral ice with a big home crowd advantage. They have also shown a tendency, in recent weeks, to struggle putting the puck in the net in games where they could really take a step forward, put themselves in a position to win the conference, to win the conference tourney, or even secure a place in the NCAA's. From one fan's perspective they've played with a tight grip on their sticks in those games, death for a team that doesn't have a ton of high end talent up front.

If UND is going to win this game, I think these things will be key:

1. They have play with a lead. With this team, a one goal deficit can feel like a mountain. An early goal does amazing things for this team. It seems to loosen them up to play more aggressive, take a few more chances, in general just play better. As soon as they fall behind the defense starts backing off to protect against additional goals, and the forwards try to score every goal unassisted.

2. They have to win the special teams battle. Limit their penalties, which they've done a pretty decent job of lately. But I think they'll need at least one power play goal to win.

3. They'll have to have a little "puck luck". They aren't going to score a bunch of tic-tac-toe pretty goals. They need a deflection or two. Score a "greasy" goal, as Hak likes to say. Wisconsin shots from prime positions that hit someone's stick.

4. Zane will have to be on. He has done a terrific job of limiting the soft goals this year. There can't be any this weekend if UND is to advance. He's also going to have to steal one or two, maybe get the Badger forwards a little frustrated.

MagnessMan
03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
I agree with what you're saying about the Pioux SJ. I expect Bucky to come out of this regional.

Siouxfaninseattle
03-26-2014, 12:46 AM
It's more marquee by name or reputation than current performance, IMHO.

Notwithstanding a second half showing that enabled UND to sneak into the tournament, they are just 5-4 in their last 9 games, with 5 played at home and 2 on neutral ice with a big home crowd advantage. They have also shown a tendency, in recent weeks, to struggle putting the puck in the net in games where they could really take a step forward, put themselves in a position to win the conference, to win the conference tourney, or even secure a place in the NCAA's. From one fan's perspective they've played with a tight grip on their sticks in those games, death for a team that doesn't have a ton of high end talent up front.

If UND is going to win this game, I think these things will be key:

1. They have play with a lead. With this team, a one goal deficit can feel like a mountain. An early goal does amazing things for this team. It seems to loosen them up to play more aggressive, take a few more chances, in general just play better. As soon as they fall behind the defense starts backing off to protect against additional goals, and the forwards try to score every goal unassisted.

2. They have to win the special teams battle. Limit their penalties, which they've done a pretty decent job of lately. But I think they'll need at least one power play goal to win.

3. They'll have to have a little "puck luck". They aren't going to score a bunch of tic-tac-toe pretty goals. They need a deflection or two. Score a "greasy" goal, as Hak likes to say. Wisconsin shots from prime positions that hit someone's stick.

4. Zane will have to be on. He has done a terrific job of limiting the soft goals this year. There can't be any this weekend if UND is to advance. He's also going to have to steal one or two, maybe get the Badger forwards a little frustrated.

Definitely agree with 2 ,3 and 4, but they are 10-5 on the year when the other team scores first, so no panic needed. Having said that, like most teams, they have a losing record when they are behind after both the first and second periods. If they can get an edge 5 on 5, and do 2, 3 and 4, I like their chances.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I suppose everyone can say this about their team, but I think the Badgers are in the FF if they avoid the defensive breakdowns that plagued them against OSU.

Dirty
03-26-2014, 05:31 PM
I think UND is in the Frozen Four if they win two games this weekend.

burd
03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
It all depends on the refs. When the Sioux don't get f**ched over by the refs, they win every time.

hanasoni
03-26-2014, 06:10 PM
I think UND is in the Frozen Four if they win two games this weekend.

Brilliant deduction!!

firstpusk
03-26-2014, 06:55 PM
It all depends on the refs. When the Sioux don't get f**ched over by the refs, they win every time.

Sioux? Who are the Sioux?

Slap Shot
03-26-2014, 06:58 PM

I'm not biting.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Sioux? Who are the Sioux?

The Whioux?