PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Regional: BC vs Denver, Lowell vs Mankato

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Patman
03-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Where are we drinking?

Red Cows
03-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Since I can't root for the red cows I'll be rooting for the purple ones, particularly since their head coach is likely to be our new head coach when the gap-toothed wonder retires.;)

We need Coach Hastings to be NCAA battle tested when he gets here.:D

purpleinnebraska
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Since I can't root for the red cows I'll be rooting for the purple ones, particularly since their head coach is likely to be our new head coach when the gap-toothed wonder retires.;)

We need Coach Hastings to be NCAA battle tested when he gets here.:D

Slow down, there. Now you're sounding like those Michigan fans trying to steal Mel from Tech.

UML Puck Hawk
03-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Where are we drinking?

Tournament Central (http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/2014/3/23/NCAATournamentCentral.aspx) is up. I would expect an update in the next 24 hours or so about pregame bar, tickets, etc.

MavHockey14
03-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Slow down, there. Now you're sounding like those Michigan fans trying to steal Mel from Tech.

Except more asinine.:p

Checking in here, should be a tough regional.

Red Cows
03-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Doubters would be well advised to scroll to the 50 second mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOTMP2NgRA

The fix is in! ;)

Mike Hastings = Will Muschamp?

UMLFan
03-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Not knowing much about Mankato, would be really interested to hear from some of their fans. Who should we worry about? Strengths and weaknesses?

MavHockey14
03-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Not knowing much about Mankato, would be really interested to hear from some of their fans. Who should we worry about? Strengths and weaknesses?

I'll give a low down later today or tomorrow. Others may beat me to it, but I need to get a few things done before I give a good analysis.

demhall
03-23-2014, 02:12 PM
If I could pick one region to go to this would be my choice. While BC-Denver has the big name panache (5 of last 10 NCAA titles) I'm going to be interested to see how Mankato handles the step up in class against a solid UML squad. Interesting that the #1 seed is the only one not to have won their conference tournament.

Chris_NH
03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Lot of rage against BC from otherwise 'smart' Dave Starman. His Hobey pick? Not Goudreau. His Frozen Four? BC won't be in it. If he's right, he'll remind us of it. If he isn't, we'll remind him.

Red Cows
03-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Lot of rage against BC from otherwise 'smart' Dave Starman. His Hobey pick? Not Goudreau. His Frozen Four? BC won't be in it. If he's right, he'll remind us of it. If he isn't, we'll remind him.

As far as Starman is concerned, I'll just say three words.

"Consider the source".

His work this weekend was just plain laughable during NCHC tourney coverage as he constantly made silly assertions that showed just how little NCHC hockey he probably really saw this season.

I'm certainly no expert, but I saw more than 40 NCHC games this season (almost 30 in person) and little he said matched up with my season's observations.

My wife, who is a casual college hockey fan only because I am a fan, even called him out on his list of Hobey favorites during the selection show this morning. Nick Dowd? Yeah, right.

Her assertion? "Isn't Gaudreau a shoe-in?"

J.D.
03-23-2014, 03:49 PM
he should be.

i think the biggest question of all in this regional is can bc return to form? right now, that's obviously a big if. at their best i think they are the best team in the regional but it will most likely take their best to get through.

one question i have on minnesota state is in goal. if i have it right, you have a freshman phenom who stole the job from last year's freshman phenom? pretty interesting.

purpleinnebraska
03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
he should be.

i think the biggest question of all in this regional is can bc return to form? right now, that's obviously a big if. at their best i think they are the best team in the regional but it will most likely take their best to get through.

one question i have on minnesota state is in goal. if i have it right, you have a freshman phenom who stole the job from last year's freshman phenom? pretty interesting.

Yes on the goalie, although I think Williams was more highly regarded (more "phenom" if you will), and his ascendancy to the job last year was expected. It took a few games, but he earned it. Huggins more fell into the job, as Williams just didn't perform well, with an .867 save % when he lost the job. Huggins may lack Williams' penchant for the spectacular, athletic play, but he's much more consistent, and as Coach Hastings says, "He makes all the saves he should. And some of the ones he shouldn't."

Hokydad
03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
and that is why women dont vote.

Gaudreau will prob win but not with support from the west

horrible bracket for BC
Denver, very dangerous, Lowell on top of gm ++

MavHockey14
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM

horrible bracket for BC
Yes, and Minnesota State is a complete nonfactor in this region. :rolleyes:

jcarter7669
03-23-2014, 05:23 PM

horrible bracket for BC

One trick ponies don't go very far ...

Red Cows
03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

horrible bracket for BC

I'm a homer for my team as big as anybody else but even I don't think Josh Archibald deserves the Hobey Baker Award over Johnny Gaudreau. In the NCHC thread and in the various NCHC team threads, I haven't seen any real Hobey sentiment for anybody other than Gaudreau, either.

I saw Denver play UNO 7 times this season. I don't want to sound trite, since they won the conference tourney and vanquished us doing it, but, they were the most underrated team in the conference in book.

FWIW, Denver has what is arguably the best goaltender in the country (and let THAT argument commence) and goaltending can take you a long way down the path to the promised land. Even though UNO beat Denver 3 times with Brittain in goal, not one of those games was on him, IMHO.

Go-UML
03-23-2014, 06:10 PM
As much as I don't care for BC, Gadreau deserves the Hobey. The kid is just amazing. Anyhow, this is a nasty bracket and I don't think anyone is looking past anyone, regardless if they explicitly mentioned a team (Mankato) by name or not.

UMLFan
03-23-2014, 06:21 PM
SBN's Northeast Regional Preview (http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/23/5538556/2014-ncaa-tournament-northeast-regional-preview-boston-college-denver-minnesota-state-umass-lowell).

Scarlet
03-23-2014, 06:21 PM
If one made the decision on Saturday to attend the games, would one be able to purchase tickets at the door?