East Regional- Union vs Vermont & Quinnipiac vs Providence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: East Regional- Union vs Vermont & Quinnipiac vs Providence

I enjoy being a PC fan, just sitting back, watching this... not talking smack because of that lovely January-February stretch where no one could score whose name didn't rhyme with Bus Flowerman.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I was told to check out this thread. And now I'm glad I did.

FWIW, four pretty darn good teams. I have a tough time not seeing Union win this regional, but should be some great matchups. Good luck to all.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        I enjoy being a PC fan, just sitting back, watching this... not talking smack because of that lovely January-February stretch where no one could score whose name didn't rhyme with Bus Flowerman.
        Why respond to these losers who are rooting for loser programs? UVM sucks, Union sucks, Quinnipiac sucks and their fan bases suck. PC is going to take this bracket. I'm just glad these losers can't see what I just wrote. It would just make them sad.

By the way Jon my wife is out of town if you want to come over for another backrub. I know you like when daddy.....

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
          Why respond to these losers who are rooting for loser programs? UVM sucks, Union sucks, Quinnipiac sucks and their fan bases suck. PC is going to take this bracket. I'm just glad these losers can't see what I just wrote. It would just make them sad.

By the way Jon my wife is out of time if you want to come over for another backrub. I know you like when daddy.....
          Shall I wear the purple robes?

(BTW, can I be the bad cop next time? )

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Shouldn't that be reserved for the BC thread?

Comment

Of course you can beauty. As long as we continue to keep it on the low.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                Shouldn't that be reserved for the BC thread?
                I hear if you mention BC in any thread, Johnny Hockey sends an avatar to smite you with a lightning bolt (that looks like Jerry York's sweater vest).

Just don't mention the Rodents. This mild thread cannot withstand that much arrogance.

-Blackadder
                -Casablanca
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  I was told to check out this thread. And now I'm glad I did.

FWIW, four pretty darn good teams. I have a tough time not seeing Union win this regional, but should be some great matchups. Good luck to all.
                  How did I know this thread was going to end up an HEA v. ECAC fight? I've watched both conferences play a lot this season and let me say that they are different. The HEA does not have the physical teams that the ECAC has, so calling the ECAC conference trip a "grind" is not an inaccurate term. I don't think there's any team in the nation that would want to face Cornell's physical presence one night and then Colgate's speed the next.

With that said, the HEA is not nearly as physical a conference but they have a lot more talent and speed from top to bottom. I think any team in any conference can beat any other team on a given night but I think it holds true more for the HEA than ECAC. Even the top teams have to bring their A or at least a strong B game to win every night. So, to say that the HEA teams are more "battle tested" is also not an inaccurate term.

The one advantage that I'd have to give Union, other than being the best team of this bunch in my opinion, is their versatility. They've had experience against teams based on speed like Colgate and Yale. They've faced teams like SLU that have a top line that could probably be a top line on any team in the country. And finally, they've faced the strong physical teams like Cornell and Clarkson. However, this versatility might help them in Philly eventually, but they're going to have to get past 2 tough squads first.
                  Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                  10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                  5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                  21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                  ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                  ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                  12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                  National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                    . And while your at it, answer why the superconference only won 22 out of 50 games against such an inferior league.
                    Why? I never made the assertion that HE is a super conference or that the ECAC is an inferior league. You posed the question, now go ahead and enlighten us all. How is it possible for a super conference to only win 22 out of 50 games against an inferior league? I'm going to guess and say its because BU and Merrimack suck and combined for 7 losses otherwise they would have won 29... but you feel free to give me your take on it.

Regardless it's not of importance, since there aren't 12 ecac and 11 HE teams in this regional... and it has nothing to do with who has the more competitive schedule.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Maybe we should discuss the games this weekend. I don't know much about UVM hockey. What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? Who are the players to watch?
                      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

The one advantage that I'd have to give Union, other than being the best team of this bunch in my opinion, is their versatility. They've had experience against teams based on speed like Colgate and Yale. They've faced teams like SLU that have a top line that could probably be a top line on any team in the country. And finally, they've faced the strong physical teams like Cornell and Clarkson. .
                        Umm... Vermont has had experience against teams based on speed like Colgate and Yale (and BC and ND) and the have faced teams like SLU that have a superior top line (SLU twice as well as the best top line in hockey in BC) and they have faced strong physical teams like Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                          Maybe we should discuss the games this weekend. I don't know much about UVM hockey. What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? Who are the players to watch?
                          They have no strengths, only weaknesses and you shouldn't watch for anyone. They are overrated and should be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                            How did I know this thread was going to end up an HEA v. ECAC fight? I've watched both conferences play a lot this season and let me say that they are different. The HEA does not have the physical teams that the ECAC has, so calling the ECAC conference trip a "grind" is not an inaccurate term. I don't think there's any team in the nation that would want to face Cornell's physical presence one night and then Colgate's speed the next.

With that said, the HEA is not nearly as physical a conference but they have a lot more talent and speed from top to bottom. I think any team in any conference can beat any other team on a given night but I think it holds true more for the HEA than ECAC. Even the top teams have to bring their A or at least a strong B game to win every night. So, to say that the HEA teams are more "battle tested" is also not an inaccurate term.

The one advantage that I'd have to give Union, other than being the best team of this bunch in my opinion, is their versatility. They've had experience against teams based on speed like Colgate and Yale. They've faced teams like SLU that have a top line that could probably be a top line on any team in the country. And finally, they've faced the strong physical teams like Cornell and Clarkson. However, this versatility might help them in Philly eventually, but they're going to have to get past 2 tough squads first.
                            Being physical is one area I think UVM could keep up. Walls and Brickley in particular would do well in a game where the whistle is put away.

I still go with Brickley (and Hamilton) as the wildcards. A good game from both of them and UVM comes out. If Hamilton doesn't play well then we have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                              Weaknesses... power play, in fact if they go on the power play Sneddon will just send out the first line...
                              Strengths ... PK which was at one time in the top 2-3 in the country but has fallen lately
                              Players to watch:
                              Hoffman (G) 2.01 GAA 0.927 sv%
                              McCarthy (F) 16-24-40
                              Puskarich (F) 19-16-35
                              Paliotta (D) 5-22-27 with 49 pm

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                Umm... Vermont has had experience against teams based on speed like Colgate and Yale (and BC and ND) and the have faced teams like SLU that have a superior top line (SLU twice as well as the best top line in hockey in BC) and they have faced strong physical teams like Clarkson.
                                I wasn't saying that Vermont didn't; I just think that Union's week in and week out preparation is a lot different. I think the HEA teams are all pretty similar in styles of play, more pro-style than most college teams. However, since you brought up the Catamount Cup, I think that the Clarkson game was one where UVM was really frustrated and came out with a win only because Clarkson didn't come out playing their brand of hockey early. The UVM offense was pretty well bottled up by the Knights and the Knights were able to force mistakes. The difference in that game was between the pipes, with Hoffman (apologize in advance if I got the name wrong), stopping a number of grade A chances and also Clarkson turning a lot of grade A chances into shots right into the goaltender's chest.

I'm not discounting the Cats, I think they have every chance to win the game (although I'd really love to not hear that "Go Cats Go" chant on the second night of the regional and I still get a little sick to my stomach watching St. Louis play for the Rangers).
                                Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                                10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                                5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                                21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                                ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                                ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                                12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                                National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X