X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Regional - Minnesota/Robert Morris & St. Cloud State/Notre Dame

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
    CANT TAKE IT?!

Let me provide an analogy for you, Bo Peep.

Golden Gopher Hockey is the United States of college hockey.

Just without the immigration problems.

Equal parts admired and hated, we bestride our frozen world a colossus.

And like the United States, we suffer the slings and arrows of smaller "countries" for any number of slights, real or perceived. We suffer them at the same time we pay the bills that support the greater world of college hockey.

And all we ever ask for in return is the night game.

Go ahead. Dish it out. For SCSU, it's no worse than throwing a snowball at the Nimitz.

Have you spent too much time at the crack houses in north minneapolis? The golden goof-ups are third in national titles. In their own conference. Maybe more like the France of college hockey since their players like to turtle all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      Have you spent too much time at the crack houses in north minneapolis? The golden goof-ups are third in national titles. In their own conference. Maybe more like the France of college hockey since their players like to turtle all the time.
      Another country heard from.

France?

The "cheese eating surrender monkeys"?

Remind us again who surrender their nickname - their very identity - and bowed down to the NCAA?

But I digress.

National titles are not the sole barometer of greatness, son.

If they were, we could consider North Dakota the Portugal of college hockey as, like Michigan, their best years are well behind them.

No, they are but one of many factors that allow the Gophers to walk tallest among the college hockey nations.
      Last edited by Go4PuckFan2.0; 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
        CANT TAKE IT?!

Let me provide an analogy for you, Bo Peep.

Golden Gopher Hockey is the United States of college hockey.

Just without the immigration problems.

Equal parts admired and hated, we bestride our frozen world a colossus.

And like the United States, we suffer the slings and arrows of smaller "countries" for any number of slights, real or perceived. We suffer them at the same time we pay the bills that support the greater world of college hockey.

And all we ever ask for in return is the night game.

Go ahead. Dish it out. For SCSU, it's no worse than throwing a snowball at the Nimitz.
        Great post! France? Counting titles? Hummmmmmm.....Whouix fan? Yeah 7>5
        Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

Comment

Atlantic Hockey has won an opening-round NCAA game three times in 10 years: Holy Cross (over Minnesota) in 2006, Air Force (over Michigan) in 2009 and RIT (over Denver) in 2010. Niagara beat New Hampshire in 2000 but they were in the CHA then, and got an at-large bid as the CHA did not yet have an AQ.

Comment

Are there any Robert Morris or Notre Dame fans out there?
            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
              Atlantic Hockey has won an opening-round NCAA game three times in 10 years: Holy Cross (over Minnesota) in 2006, Air Force (over Michigan) in 2009 and RIT (over Denver) in 2010. Niagara beat New Hampshire in 2000 but they were in the CHA then, and got an at-large bid as the CHA did not yet have an AQ.
              That's a pretty high rate of success.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                If they are the Unites States, then I guess Holy Cross is Vietnam and Yale is Afghanistan.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  That's a pretty high rate of success.
                  Too high.

Love the glass % by the way. LOL!
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it seems as though multiple people have suggested that last year's loss to Yale should be considered among the Gophers humiliating ncaa losses. Was it all in my imagination that they went on to win the whole thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      If they are the Unites States, then I guess Holy Cross is Vietnam and Yale is Afghanistan.
                      And your threads make it clear that SCSU is the former Yugoslavia and that your team in the NCAA is a Yugo.
                      "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Weekend preview from Gophersports

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...032614aab.html

The No. 1/2 Minnesota men’s hockey program makes its 35th appearance in the NCAA tournament this weekend as the host insitution of the NCAA West Regional at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The Gophers kick off the national tournament with the first-ever meeting against Robert Morris on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. CT (ESPN2). Notre Dame and St. Cloud State follow in the second semifinal at 8:00 p.m. (ESPNU) while the NCAA West Regional championship game is set for Sunday at 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU).

In the NCAA Tournament

Minnesota is 53-35 (.598) all-time in the NCAA tournament, now with 35 all-time appearances and 20 Frozen Four berths. The Gophers have won five national titles including two under Don Lucia (1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003).

Against the Field

The Gophers have only played one NCAA tournament game against the 2014 NCAA West Regional Field -- a 5-2 win over Notre Dame in the first round of the 2004 NCAA Midwest Regional in Grand Rapids, Mich. Minnesota has never met Robert Morris while the Maroon & Gold are 24-13-3 all-time against Notre Dame and 53-28-12 all-time against St. Cloud State.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                          Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it seems as though multiple people have suggested that last year's loss to Yale should be considered among the Gophers humiliating ncaa losses. Was it all in my imagination that they went on to win the whole thing?
                          But.... it has to be a humiliating upset to lose in the NCAA tournament to the National Champion.

Doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                            Well..........yeah, I agree with you AND they were a great team last year.

However it does kind of tick me off that the last two times (only twice in 24 years) that an ECAC school won it all the Gophers got the short end of the stick. But yeah, Yale was good. So was Quinnipiac for that matter.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Well..........yeah, I agree with you AND they were a great team last year.

However it does kind of tick me off that the last two times (only twice in 24 years) that an ECAC school won it all the Gophers got the short end of the stick. But yeah, Yale was good. So was Quinnipiac for that matter.
                              Yeah, I agree. They were a good team. The reason we don't see #15 seeds winning it all to often is there are rarely #15 seeds that talented. And it ticks me off too. Heck, the Harvard game still ticks me off
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Just a friendly reminder that although tomorrow is Thursday, hockey talk shall not take place in this thread until Friday as these games take place on Saturday/Sunday.

Thank you! Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X