• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Regional - Minnesota/Robert Morris & St. Cloud State/Notre Dame

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Correct, 5 NCAA titles.

And a fan base that cares about hockey

This is what you quoted, implying your stamp of approval...

"ST. PAUL, Minn. _ Here in the self-proclaimed "State of Hockey," the storied program at the University of Minnesota has achieved and maintained what is often perceived as a "State of Grace."

With 35 NCAA Tournament appearances, 20 Frozen Fours and five national championships in the history books already, those who are convinced the Golden Gophers are college hockey's gold standard might not be far wrong."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      This is what you quoted, implying your stamp of approval...

"ST. PAUL, Minn. _ Here in the self-proclaimed "State of Hockey," the storied program at the University of Minnesota has achieved and maintained what is often perceived as a "State of Grace."

With 35 NCAA Tournament appearances, 20 Frozen Fours and five national championships in the history books already, those who are convinced the Golden Gophers are college hockey's gold standard might not be far wrong."

It was an NCAA Tourney preview article, and the Gophers have 5 NCAA National Championships. Not exactly news.

Perhaps you should stick to posting funny pictures. You're actually good at that
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Yep. 5 National Championships.

Glad that's finally cleared up.

According to Ross Bernstein, the Gopher's have closer to a dozen National Titles. People can try to convince themselves that college hockey was invented in 1948, but that's just not true.

The University of Minnesota Hockey team was even given the opportunity to represent the United States at the Olympics in 1928, but they couldn't afford to send them, so they turned the invitation down.

Also, either 2 or 3 of the 4 candidates to be the namesake for the Hobey Baker Award were UMn people.

But yes, just 5 "NCAA" Titles.

Comment

God it must be embarrassing to be so desperate for another one or two banners to get to a number equal to your neighbors. Minnesota has a very good history: 5 is nothing to be ashamed about. I say embrace your 5ness.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            God it must be embarrassing to be so desperate for another one or two banners to get to a number equal to your neighbors. Minnesota has a very good history: 5 is nothing to be ashamed about. I say embrace your 5ness.
            5 NCAA titles is great. The little schtick you've got going with Gurt, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
              According to Ross Bernstein, the Gopher's have closer to a dozen National Titles. People can try to convince themselves that college hockey was invented in 1948, but that's just not true.

The University of Minnesota Hockey team was even given the opportunity to represent the United States at the Olympics in 1928, but they couldn't afford to send them, so they turned the invitation down.

Also, either 2 or 3 of the 4 candidates to be the namesake for the Hobey Baker Award were UMn people.

You know if you trim the bush, it will look bigger. That is why North Dakota got rid of all the trees.
              In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
              I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Are you serious?! Embarrassing?! LMAO!!!!! 54 Olympians, 16 Hall of Famers, Miracle on Ice, 32 NCAA tourney appearances & 17 Frozen Fours in the last 50 years!!!

And who said anything about 1 or 2 more? lol How about 7 or so more?!

Desperation has nothing to do with it. It's called acknowledging history.

And there are plenty of Gopher fans who have done just that, embraced their 5ness. So there is room for at least 1 of me, one who embraces 13ness!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  It was an NCAA Tourney preview article, and the Gophers have 5 NCAA National Championships. Not exactly news.

C'mon, let the Dubbie all the way out. He's been caged too long.

It's tournament time.

You know you want to...

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

This issue isn't just limited to college hockey, either. Football, same thing. The farther back in it's history you go, the more subjective the question is of who won the title this year or that year.

The Huskers aren't the "official" national champions in 1902, despite some publications that say they are. That team went undefeated and unscored upon, I might add. Pretty hard to top that. If you think it's subjective, now................

An aside, the Huskers were invited to play in the 1915 Rose Bowl (which would have been the school's first bowl game, ever) and turned the committee down. The school couldn't afford to send the team. This was an issue in all sports and at all schools in those days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      This issue isn't just limited to college hockey, either. Football, same thing. The farther back in it's history you go, the more subjective the question is of who won the title this year or that year.

The Huskers aren't the "official" national champions in 1902, despite some publications that say they are. That team went undefeated and unscored upon, I might add. Pretty hard to top that. If you think it's subjective, now................

An aside, the Huskers were invited to play in the 1915 Rose Bowl (which would have been the school's first bowl game, ever) and turned the committee down. The school couldn't afford to send the team. This was an issue in all sports and at all schools in those days.
                      I don't think anyone has ever said that titles from different eras are exactly the same. The game has changed and evolved continuously thruought it's history. That's not unique to just pre and post NCAA eras. For instance, I think the game has changed almost as much pre and post NHL salary cap. So much more parity now.

But to say that titles won before X date mean nothing, or that starting X year titles became meaningful is more than a little ridiculous.

If people were really genuine about trying to determine the strength of programs thruought their history, they'd look above and beyond just national championships all together.

In a one and done playoff format the best team in the tourney doesn't always win. The Gophers themselves have a few national championships they should feel lucky to have won (1974 and 1976), but many more instances where they likely would have won in a best of scenario. I'm sure many of the major programs around the country could say the same.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                        Are you serious?! Embarrassing?! LMAO!!!!! 54 Olympians, 16 Hall of Famers, Miracle on Ice, 32 NCAA tourney appearances & 17 Frozen Fours in the last 50 years!!!

And who said anything about 1 or 2 more? lol How about 7 or so more?!

Desperation has nothing to do with it. It's called acknowledging history.

And there are plenty of Gopher fans who have done just that, embraced their 5ness. So there is room for at least 1 of me, one who embraces 13ness!!! lol
                        Speaking of Minnesota and stars I remember one cold night in Grand Forks and I told Kevin Wehrs he was gonna see stars and I'll be ****ed if I didn't just blow the doors off of him and I guarantee he saw stars, or god, while he laid there on the ice. Go huskies?
                        I'm all about big clappers and clean livin'! Work and church!

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          God it must be embarrassing...
                          As someone that often agrees with you, are his efforts really any different than yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Wow. Who knew?

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
                              First person to track me down, that I don't already know, will get beer on me at Reid's.
                              **** you and your technicalities...
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                                Are you accusing me of some sort of rhyming scheme?
                                I was in awe of your poetic skills . . until I saw the buillboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X