PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Bottom-Feeders Bracket, Futile Four BRACKETOLOGY

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Freddie
03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Welcome to this year's installment of The Bottom Feeders Bracket, on the road to The Futile Four.

We are pleased to announce several changes to the team selection process. While we will retain FARTS (Freddie's Arbitrary Rankings of Teams that Suck) as the primary selection criteria, this year YOU are the selection committee!

It is our sincere hope that opening up the selection process will produce more dissatisfaction and angry discourse.

According to FARTS, here are this year's leading candidates for the brackets:

1. Army (AH Auto-bid)
2. Alabama-Huntsville (WCHA Auto-bid)
3. American International
4. Sacred Heart
5. Princeton (ECAC Auto-bid)
6. RIT
7. Holy Cross
8. Penn State (B1G Auto-bid)
9. Colorado College
10. Niagara
11. Merrimack (HEA Auto-bid)
12. Canisius
13. Robert Morris
14. Massachusetts
15. Bemidji State
16. Boston University
***BUBBLE***
17. Dartmouth
18. Connecticut
19. Bentley
20. Harvard
21. Northern Michigan
22. Michigan State
23. Brown
24. Michigan Tech
25. Air Force
26. Lake Superior
27. St Lawrence
28. Mercyhurst
29. Nebraska-Omaha
30. Rensselaer
31. Miami (NCHC Auto-bid)

Applying the "Atlantic Hockey Rule" eliminates any team from consideration if they finish the season with a winning record, regardless of how weak their opposition was. This eliminates #13 Robert Morris, #18 UConn, #19 Bentley, #25 AirForce and #28 Mercyhurst from consideration.

One big problem remains; With #12 Canisius and NCHC Auto-bid Miami playing for their respective conference championships today, either or both could earn spots in that other tournament.

The committee is open to any suggestions to solve these issues.

FlagDUDE08
03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
If UAH can get into the other tournament with a losing record and an autobid, a BHHC team can do the same. Although why wouldn't Colorado College get the autobid for the BHHC?

Freddie
03-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Although why wouldn't Colorado College get the autobid for the BHHC?

Traditionally the auto-bid went to the LAST place finisher in the regular season conference standings.

That said, the committee is willing to be flexible, even arbitrary.

vizoroo
03-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Any team that gets to the conference final should be automatically executed--:oooops I mean excluded.
How dare they betray a season of incompetence.

FlagDUDE08
03-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Any team that gets to the conference final should be automatically executed--:oooops I mean excluded.
How dare they betray a season of incompetence.

Was going to say, isn't that like the Bentley rule or something? I know there's a Bentley rule for the other tournament...

steakbomb
03-22-2014, 08:42 PM
The brackets no doubt will fill out. I'm concerned the committee won't hold these games in the appropriately toxic environments. Unfortunately Worcester and Bridgeport are being used for that other event.

BUPhD
03-22-2014, 08:52 PM
BU has to make this. If only for the general trajectory of their season toward the end. It'll be interesting to see how many players are left by the time they lose their way through to the final.

Snively65
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Well, Bobby Mo is out, as they now have a date with the Gophers in St Paul for that other tournament.

Jimjamesak
03-23-2014, 03:52 AM
This is the first time in what, years, that UAA won't be in this?

riverchief1
03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Can't wait to see how this all plays out. One of my favorite threads all year. Died laughing several years back as the locations for the "games" were revealed and someone actually thought they were really going to happen and how to get tickets.

Freddie
03-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Died laughing several years back as the locations for the "games" were revealed and someone actually thought they were really going to happen and how to get tickets.

There's one born every minute.

MissThundercat
03-23-2014, 12:17 PM
How will the games be covered this year? Are we relying on ham radio, carrier pigeon, Pony Express... what?

BUPhD
03-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Twitter users in Turkey will be relaying the scores.

RPI fan 4 life
03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
How will the games be covered this year? Are we relying on ham radio, carrier pigeon, Pony Express... what?

None of the above. Morse code... Dit dot dot dit dot...

blazer777
03-23-2014, 07:23 PM

The Ukrainen Navy has setup a media center at their naval base in Crimea...

John J. MacInnes
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
by not qualifying for the WCHA playoffs, I think Lake Superior State should be a stronger candidate for the tournament field. Plus they'd be playing with no head coach.

Freddie
03-23-2014, 08:26 PM
by not qualifying for the WCHA playoffs, I think Lake Superior State should be a stronger candidate for the tournament field. Plus they'd be playing with no head coach.

They've been playing without a head coach for YEARS,...That won't help or hurt their chances.

AnchorsAway
03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
They've been playing without a head coach for YEARS,...That won't help or hurt their chances.

My favorite comment in 6 years on USCHO...so true!!

Freddie
03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Selection day has come and gone, and the committee has still not completed the field.

Here are the final FARTS numbers:

1. Army (AH/AQ)
2. Alabama Huntsville (WCHA-AQ)
3. American International
4. Sacred Heart
5. Princeton (ECAC-AQ)
6. RIT
7. Holy Cross
8. Colorado College
9. Penn State (B1G-AQ)
10. Niagara
11. Merrimack (HEA-AQ)
12. Canisius
13. Massachusetts
14. Bemidji
15. Boston Univ
16. Dartmouth
29. Miami (NCHC-AQ)

The committee has just ONE simple decision to make, and is deadlocked. ***YOU WILL HAVE TO HELP***

QUESTION Does Miami still deserve a bid, or did their dismal tournament performance overshadow their outstanding regular season to the point that we should disqualify them, award the NCHC auto-bid to Colorado College (certainly worth of this event)? If so, Dartmouth is in.

Responses will be accepted on this point until 8pm CDT on Tuesday, March 25.
If there is no clear consensus by that time the committee will resort to the Ouija Board.

Buck 'em
03-23-2014, 09:19 PM
QUESTION Does Miami still deserve a bid, or did their dismal tournament performance overshadow their outstanding regular season to the point that we should disqualify them, award the NCHC auto-bid to Colorado College (certainly worth of this event)? If so, Dartmouth is in.

Stealing a bad idea from our basketball friends, I propose a play-in (or out as the case may be) game between Dartmouth and Miami at a neutral site (perhaps the committee could make an exception to the US rule and have the Russians host in Sochi). Winner is out of the tourney.