PDA

View Full Version : Colgate...Postseason Thread...Youth Is Served

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

'Gate Radio
04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Keep in mind that Sacred Heart has traveled three times to Colgate in the last 7-8 years, most recently in 2012-13 for a two-game series at Starr. It's very likely that this is simply part of an agreement that was arranged a while ago that Sacred Heart would play X number of games at Colgate and vice versa. One would suspect that at least one of these games could be moved into the AHL building though that will depend on the schedule of the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers which won't be released until the summer.

And going to Sacred Heart is not beneath anyone, sheesh (Not directed at one poster, just saying). In the last 5-6 years, teams that have played at least one game at Sacred Heart include RPI, Princeton, Penn State, Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

red133883
04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Let's remember that we got spoiled this year with our schedule. There was no way to know that all the teams were going to be good games at the beginning of the year. So as much as you'd prefer seasons like this past one (as far as the schedule goes) it isn't going to happen

Rainman
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
But we knew that we only had 1 Atlantic Hockey opponent before the season started. Given how that conference requires its schools to limit its scholarships, its teams are never competitive. Playing 2 at Sacred Heart is not the news I wanted to hear, but I'm guessing it's reciprocal for their trip to Hamilton in 2012-13. Speaking of that season, we started it with a home game against Niagara (where we scored 10 goals). So we probably still owe them a home game.

This means we potentially have 3 of 12 games against Atlantic Hockey for next season, with 6 non-conference dates still TBD. My guess is that we'll know more about our OOC schedule when it's "tentatively" released at the end-of-season banquet.

Joe McGrath
04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I believe I saw somewhere that Colgate is in the Three Rivers Classic with Robert Morris, Penn State and Western Michigan so that would account for 2 more OOC games. Also I seem to remember Coach Vaughn saying that they would be headed to Vermont as the return for the Catamounts trip to Hamilton this past season.

'Gate Radio
04-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I believe I saw somewhere that Colgate is in the Three Rivers Classic with Robert Morris, Penn State and Western Michigan so that would account for 2 more OOC games. Also I seem to remember Coach Vaughn saying that they would be headed to Vermont as the return for the Catamounts trip to Hamilton this past season.

The Vermont game at Starr Rink this season was the back end of a home-and-home between the two schools that was supposed to take place in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Colgate traveled to play Vermont on Thanksgiving Weekend in 2011-2012. UVM was supposed to reciprocate and play at Colgate in 2012-13 in mid-January. However, when the Hockey East block schedule for 2012-13 came out, UVM was scheduled for a league series that weekend and the game between Colgate and UVM was pushed back until this year.

Non-conference that has been announced so far for next year includes two at Saint Cloud State to start the season, two at Sacred Heart and then the Three Rivers Classic with Robert Morris, Penn State and Western Michigan.

sshablak
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks, good info guys.

ColSkate65
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
The rink is still in the design phase. As has been discussed previously on this board, it will likely be ready to go by the 2016-17 season.

Geez...this thing has been in the design phase for eons it seems. Can't they just borrow the blueprints for QU's TD Bank rink and go with it? It's the gold standard. Like Shabby, I'm counting on the Cornwall Line + Kyle Baun to open Slater Arena their senior years, if not before. :)

sshablak
04-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Weren't we talking with the architects that designed Aggannis at some point ? Gawwdd, let's stall another 2-3 years hope I'm still alive.

Rainman
04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Geez...this thing has been in the design phase for eons it seems. Can't they just borrow the blueprints for QU's TD Bank rink and go with it? It's the gold standard. Like Shabby, I'm counting on the Cornwall Line + Kyle Baun to open Slater Arena their senior years, if not before. :)

The design phase began last October. It probably won't be ready for the senior yrs of the Spink twins, Baun, Borkowski etc. However, it should be ready for Charlie Finn's senior yr. Better to be done right than done fast.

Rainman
04-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Weren't we talking with the architects that designed Aggannis at some point ? Gawwdd, let's stall another 2-3 years hope I'm still alive.

Cannon Design? If you search for their website, you'll find their list of projects, and "Colgate University hockey feasibility study" is still on there.

red133883
04-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I just want to hear something from the school. where is it at, why is it delayed. Just tell me something, I feel like the school ran into problems (which is absolutely fine, it happens) but are now scared to tell people about it

Gate93
04-03-2014, 04:46 PM
From the March 17 CAC newsletter (Vicki Chun's weekly what's up posting on the Raiders web site):

Our New Athletic Facility (NAF) continues to move along as we met with Sasaki Associates last week to go over schematic designs
and the seating of the bowl. I will have more information regarding NAF and our New Soccer Facility (NSF) in next week's newsletter.

There wasn't a follow up on the NSF. I wouldn't read much into the time line here. The facility was originally slated to go where B&G is - that was changed for some reason - delay obvious. Also, I think in trying to get donations, the school's promotional materials made it seem as if a facility had been designed and was ready to go. That is highly unlikely as it would represent a huge waste of money (for design, etc.) if the funding didn't materialize or took 2-3 extra years to come together (necessitating significant redesign to accomodate changes in costs, codes, etc.) Additionally, once the facility got to the "go" phase, donors show up to fund extras which need to get worked in (included in the amount raised was a little over $1 million raised for the MLAX locker room!) Competition for recruits once centered largely on coaches, tradition and scholarships. At the level Colgate want to play at in Hockey, Lacrosse and Soccer, that competition now includes facilities so those extras are key. I just hope they are able to do something state of the art broadcast wise. That's selfish as I can't regularly get to Hamilton for games but I also think it could be a huge recruiting edge. Several stories this year about players on multiple teams whose families were getting to see them play for the first time as seniors. Can't help but think the promise of a top quality HD feed right to your parent's Moose Jaw living room might sway a player or two our way/

Gate93
04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
p.s. Went to the Sasaki web site. Looks like they specialize in whole development design (lots of master plans, etc.). Go there and check out the RPI East Campus Athletic Village and pray Sasaki has been brought in to give a similar treatment to the new rink and soccer facility with future improvements to the football/lacrosse stadium in the works.

sshablak
04-05-2014, 08:01 AM
I see in November it looks like the Carrier Dome will be hosting games, Utica College-Oswego, SU Womens hockey and the Crunch vs the Comets. Why not Colgate vs Cornell in a non league game ? It would probably outdraw the others, would be great !!

TchrBill
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
National Champion Clarkson vs. Cornell would be a much better draw than Colgate, unfortunately. They are arguably the league's - and the nation's - premier teams.

sshablak
04-06-2014, 07:50 AM
National Champion Clarkson vs. Cornell would be a much better draw than Colgate, unfortunately. They are arguably the league's - and the nation's - premier teams.

What :confused:

sshablak
04-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Good news...They are digging up the field behind the football stadium for the new soccer facility. Maybe they will start the new arena this year.:)

TchrBill
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
I was talking SU & ECAC women's teams, shabby ;)
'Gate/Cornell would be an obvious choice - have we ever tried something similar at the War Memorial? Students probably couldn't get there but it would the "MSG of CNY"

ColSkate65
04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I was talking SU & ECAC women's teams, shabby ;)
'Gate/Cornell would be an obvious choice - have we ever tried something similar at the War Memorial? Students probably couldn't get there but it would the "MSG of CNY"

Have seen 'Gate men play at the War Memorial in the distant past - think it was a holiday tournament. Clarkson-Cornell women + Comets-Crunch, + 'Gate-Cornell men would make for a great central NY showcase.

Rainman
04-07-2014, 08:58 AM
For those who need their hockey fix, I have started piecing together next season's schedule Keep in mind nothing is official yet, and it probably won't be officially released until July:

<pre>
Oct. 4 Exhibition?
Oct. 10 @St. Cloud?
Oct. 11 @St. Cloud?

Nov. 7 @Quinnipiac
Nov. 8 @Princeton
Nov. 14 St. Lawrence
Nov. 15 Clarkson
Nov. 21 Brown
Nov. 22 Yale

Dec. 27 vs. Western Michigan (Pittsburgh, exact date unconfirmed)
Dec. 28 vs. Robert Morris OR Penn St. (Pittsburgh, exact date unconfirmed)

Jan. 9 @Clarkson
Jan. 10 @St. Lawrence
Jan. 16 @RPI
Jan. 17 @Union
Jan. 23 Dartmouth
Jan. 24 Harvard

Feb. 6 Princeton
Feb. 7 Quinnipiac
Feb. 13 @Harvard (Colgate Day!)
Feb. 14 @Dartmouth
Feb. 20 Union
Feb. 21 RPI
Feb. 27 @Yale
Feb. 28 @Brown
</pre>

Cornell dates TBD. We have Jan. 30-31 open, but we also have Dec. 5-6 open as well. Depending on how Colgate and Cornell arrange their non-conference schedules, we could see the same arrangement that we saw this season regarding the Cornell games (1 game on Dec. 6, then the other game on Jan. 31).

Confirmed OOC Opponents:
-St. Cloud (away x2, possibly to open the season)
-Sacred Heart (away x2)
-Western Michigan (Three Rivers Classic, Pittsburgh)
-Robert Morris OR Penn St. (Three Rivers Classic, Pittsburgh)
-Mercyhurst
-Boston University
-Northeastern

I don't know more about the Mercyhurst, BU, or Northeastern games. All I know is that they're on the schedule for next season. My best guess is that we'll play Mercyhurst and one of the aforementioned Hockey East teams twice at home, and the other Hockey East team twice in Boston. Personally, I like having BU and Northeastern on the schedule, not only because they're Hockey East teams, but also we haven't played them in quite some time.