Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

OK - someone had to start the next UNH thread, so it might as well be me ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Very clever Chuck

I swear, Stephen King could use you and Sonar for his next macabre novel
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Very clever Chuck

I swear, Stephen King could use you and Sonar for his next macabre novel
      Yup totally awesome Chuck! I'll buy that book.... the first line would be, of course "Call me Dick" and it would be set in "Almost, Maine" to coin the name of a play we just did at our school..
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

This could be a very short thread, or with any luck maybe we can get a few more weeks out of it.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Yup totally awesome Chuck! I'll buy that book.... the first line would be, of course "Call me Dick" and it would be set in "Almost, Maine" to coin the name of a play we just did at our school..
          As long as the first line isn't "Call me BIG DICK" I guess we'll be okay. Sorry, couldn't resist

Comment

The least you could have done was say something compelling so this thread lasts beyond the first page.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Replying to an unfinished discussion on the last thread right before it closed
              Soooo not trying to start anything (honest!) but I got a text today from someone with a quote from the NU coaching staff about not being happy about the fish throw, then the hat throw (Goumas hattie)...that it's a penalty to throw anything on the ice...if that's true then I'd say we're long overdue for a penalty with just the fish throw! Thoughts? And please, I'm not looking to get into a UNH v NU thing here. Maybe next time I'll keep my hat on my head...or...maybe not.

Bring it 'Cats!!
              Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Actually, great point there. The fish throw should be the warning not to throw anything on the ice and the next time it happens, it should be a penalty.

Here is the rulebook

67.3 Interference by Spectators - In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game are thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the play; and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is stopped.
              Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice. At the discretion of the referee, a warning may be issued before the game.
              Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers, air horns or electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
              The band(s) shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.
              PENALTIES—Warning or bench minor against offending fans’ team for delay of game.
              It is the referee’s discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary.
              Note: Conferences or the proper disciplinary authority are encouraged to develop policies in this area if necessary.
              Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna has previously defended the fish as "part of the tradition and pageantry of the game", and I'd expect hats on the ice after a hat trick would meet the same standard. There were some tense moments a decade or so ago when ZX and Athletics got in to a p1ssing contest over control of the fish, with both an "official" (AD's) and "unofficial" (ZX) fish being thrown for several weeks - iirc the league told them to get it sorted out because if the dual fish throw continued it would be an issue.
              EDIT: Under a strict interpretation of the above rule the cowbell would also be considered an "artificial noisemaker" and only allowed during a stoppage, in practical usage this is not enforced at the Whitt. Mr. Bertagna even personally authorized it on one occasion at a Women's Hockey East Tournament game many years ago at BU when the rink staff "weren't sure" that it was allowed and sought him out for clarification.

USCHO: "On Traditions, Old and New" by Joe Bertagna (January 28, 2003)
              One fairly recent trend that is in danger of getting out of control is the throwing of objects on the ice. The newspapers at Cornell and even the single fish at New Hampshire are kept under control. They are long standing traditions, someone comes out right away and cleans up, and the game goes on. [Author's Note No. 2: I've often wondered how that fish at UNH goes undetected until it actually gets tossed on the ice. I mean, wouldn't you notice if the guy next to you is hiding a halibut in his parka? I could understand if it was in the student section, where those replica jerseys and sweatshirts may not have been to the laundry in a while. But even Hans Blix could find a flounder in a fleece, no?]

Some people question why my own league even allows a single fish to be tossed on the ice. Our position has been, as long as it is not disruptive and happens just once, it is part of the tradition and pageantry of the game. We don’t want to sanitize the events to the point that we remove the unique atmosphere of each place.
              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                As long as the first line isn't "Call me BIG DICK" I guess we'll be okay. Sorry, couldn't resist
                e.cat OMG. You do know "call me ischmael" is where I got this idea from...haha Oh...here comes the TvR question on the USCHO interview... is he coming back to UNH? Basically 'its a wait and see". 'No decisions have been made yet'... As per this weekend...he's not going to make it this weekend...THAT was the question Jim (interviewer) basically wanted to have an answer for...

Bring it 'Cats!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It really would be nice to see Dick to win the big one. Good program, good guy, kids stay out of the papers, and they play the game the right way.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                    It really would be nice to see Dick to win the big one. Good program, good guy, kids stay out of the papers, and they play the game the right way.
                    We totally agree with ya Carmine! He always is very complimentary in interviews (like this most recent one on USCHO radio) about other teams and their strengths; don't think I've ever read or heard him put down other players, schools, etc. (I'm only coming from limited experience here tho..) He talked about how the 'younger coaches' in the HE are making the league great but he's no slouch either when it comes to doing well and promoting the game...Appreciate your kind words towards UNH!

Bring it 'Cats!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Coach Madigan was just being a big baby, complaining about the refs, the fish, the poor ice quality, and sordid other nits he felt needed to be picked. It's funny - I've always liked Northeastern - worked summers there on the grounds crew many moons ago, my brother and cousins went there, and my uncle was dean of one of the satellite campuses (i.e. night school). And I was in the original Garden in 1980 when Wayne Turner beat BC in OT to capture NU's first Beanpot. Even knew a couple of kids on that team.

But Coach Madigan comes across as a total jack***** every time he opens his mouth. A Jack Parker wanna-be.

He makes Coach Umile sound like Scotty freakin' Bowman. And that takes some doing.

Comment

e.cat OMG. You do know "call me ischmael" is where I got this idea from...haha Oh...

Bring it 'Cats!!
                        ya right sure you did.....

btw, i only know ishmael from my kids. haven't had the peasure of reading it myself.

i wan't more of the intelligence report on what DICK is saying on USCHO.
                        Last edited by e.cat; 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Coach Madigan was just being a big baby, complaining about the refs, the fish, the poor ice quality, and sordid other nits he felt needed to be picked. It's funny - I've always liked Northeastern - worked summers there on the grounds crew many moons ago, my brother and cousins went there, and my uncle was dean of one of the satellite campuses (i.e. night school). And I was in the original Garden in 1980 when Wayne Turner beat BC in OT to capture NU's first Beanpot. Even knew a couple of kids on that team.

But Coach Madigan comes across as a total jack***** every time he opens his mouth. A Jack Parker wanna-be.

He makes Coach Umile sound like Scotty freakin' Bowman. And that takes some doing.
                          I didn't think it was possible, but Northeastern replaced Greg "Roid Rage" Cronin with someone even more loathsome....
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I've never seen anyone embarrass themselves on a nightly basis behind the bench like this guy. Total clown.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

e.cat OMG. You do know "call me ischmael" is where I got this idea from...haha
                              Psst ... e.cat still thinks "Moby Dick" is the 20 minute drum solo at an old Zeppelin gig. Don't spoil it for him.

For what it's worth ... I'd been holding onto that thread title for something bigger for quite some time now, but the writing staff at WIS Productions could never come up with a suitable concept. So it's used here as a "throwaway", as they say in the biz.
                              Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X