Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Chuck, every UNH team has had spare parts, guys who never play nor do they deserve to. Without naming names, there are a few on the current roster who fit this profile. That's a problem. If the incoming frosh take away playing time from upperclassmen it means that they are better. Better players filling out your roster is a good thing.
    I totally agree, Greg. I'm just interested in determining who is actually a "spare part", and who isn't (see Quast, Regan). Based only upon observations of how the players have been handled, I would guess Regan is a "spare part", and we find out about Quast this Fall.

Three seasons ago UNH essentially were forced into redshirting Eric Knodel and Justin Agosta because the following six defensemen ALL played in ALL 39 games that season (I think you've raised this example before, to be fair):

* Blake Kessel
    * Brett Kostolansky
    * Damon Kipp
    * Matt Campanale
    * Connor Hardowa
    * Mike Beck

Hindsight is wonderful, and obviously players improve with experience and growth over the course of a four year D-1 career (sometimes five years ). But this shows you that someone like Mike Beck (a non-factor in his first two UNH seasons) earned regular ice time for his last two seasons, and in his senior season got the nod at the expense of Knodel AND Agosta. So if you're Harry Quast, you gotta think your chances of getting a pretty fair run-out at the start of your junior season is pretty darned good, given Coach Umile's history.

I'm not saying it's right and I'm not saying it's wrong, Greg. I AM saying this is just the way things have been with Coach Umile in the past, and every year we read or hear all this speculation (to differing degrees) on how next year's slate of incoming frosh are going to shunt established, returning players to the stands. And it really almost never happens.

Yes, the relative absence of returning upperclassmen will likely increase playing opportunities for the incoming frosh this season, but the idea that guys like Thrush, Camper, Correale, Smith, Quast and Gaudreault are going to plummet off the depth chart (as various posters have speculated) in favor of lower rung frosh players is probably very unrealistic, given the way Coach Umile runs his program. JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

At UNH Honors gIg Jeff Wyer only hockey player named nice to see...
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Tim Burke mentioned as a possible successor to Ray Shero in Pittsburgh.
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

There is NO ONE better qualified to be a GM than Tim Burke!! However if it means leaving Melrose, and playing golf on the Cape.......with that said, after some 20 odd years traveling the world as a scout, I'm sure that a stay at home job might be appealing.....nuts Burkie!!

Comment

Wow ... when the off-season does finally kick in, we UNH folk sure do get scarce in these here parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Wow ... when the off-season does finally kick in, we UNH folk sure do get scarce in these here parts.
              That's why it's the off season. Too busy driving boats and catching up with the non hockey friends abandoned for the past 6 months.
              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Zzzzzzz........mmmph....hockey......zzzzzzz....... .fire umile......zzzzzz.....fire scarano..........zzzzzz.....foegle for hobey.......zzzzz......mmph-mmph-mmph...wha...wha...WHA???

Oh, sorry I dozed off!!! Have they dropped the puck yet??
                UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Zzzzzzz........mmmph....hockey......zzzzzzz....... .fire umile......zzzzzz.....fire scarano..........zzzzzz.....foegle for hobey.......zzzzz......mmph-mmph-mmph...wha...wha...WHA???

Oh, sorry I dozed off!!! Have they dropped the puck yet??
                  hahhaha awesome Scott! Funny you post this coz last night I had a dream it was opening night at the 'Whitt...but the odd thing was...the team never appeared. Then I work up in a cold sweat...! You can't make this stuff up. Have a great summa everyone...it will be Oct. before we know it...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    last night I had a dream it was opening night at the 'Whitt...but the odd thing was...the team never appeared.
                    Sounds more like a game in March than one in October
                    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Hi all....

Wanted to put it out that the Friends are gearing up for the annual golf tournament...I know my husband would play (Ill be in florida...) so if anyone needs a 4th for a foursome, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll get him signed up. Here's the info:

http://friendsofunhhockey.com/?p=1173

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        ...but the odd thing was...the team never appeared. Then I work up in a cold sweat...!
                        "...never appeared" or "did not show up"? If Umile says one more time this coming season "We did not appear ready to play tonight.....", I will scream.

Been in Iceland the past three weeks; not much interest in hockey here.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 06-02-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          "...never appeared" or "did not show up"? If Umile says one more time this coming season "We did appear ready to play tonight.....", I will scream.

Been in Iceland the past three weeks; not much interest in hockey here.
                          Cool trip Snively! Wow that comment did bring out some stuff! Actually in the dream the team never comes out of the tunnel very strange. I'm sure it's just a silly dream....but I hear ya!

Comment

It is not a dream ....it is a nightmare with a continuing, long-standing, repeating, replicated formula .... with only one "constant" in that particular formula.

Comment

Sooo....to move along here if you are in the voting frame of mind, vote for our fish throw! (But don't tell Jim Madigan )

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2014/06/02/...sports-nation/

click on the vote here which will take you to a facebook page.

Someday I'll learn how to shorten a URL...sigh.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-02-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

What's worse sonar is the *nightmare* seems to have control of its own destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X