PDA

View Full Version : NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Your man Gustafsson just scored to make it 3-0 Flyers in Game 6.

aparch
05-06-2014, 04:08 PM
All quiet in MQT regarding the hockey program?

Saw MTU is trying to drum up interest by offering a (pretty significant) discount on season tickets.

And on NMU's end: No ticket push. No fundraising efforts (ie: video board talk). Not even the schedule release. Nothing.

LSSULaker889294
05-07-2014, 07:32 PM
All quiet in MQT regarding the hockey program?

Saw MTU is trying to drum up interest by offering a (pretty significant) discount on season tickets.

And on NMU's end: No ticket push. No fundraising efforts (ie: video board talk). Not even the schedule release. Nothing.

I'm also suprised by how quiet things have been with NMU hockey.

bigmrg74
05-13-2014, 12:10 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2082/killitwithfiredemotivatj.jpg

MissThundercat
05-13-2014, 12:14 AM
I suppose I could riff a list of things that I care as little about as another Pink Pony post. Let's see... low carb diets, Michael Moore, the Republican National Convention, Kabbalah & all Kabbalah-related products, Hi-Def TV, the Bush daughters, wireless hotspots, the OC, the UN, recycling, getting Punk'd, Danny Gans, the Latin Grammys, the real Grammys, Jeff that Wiggle that sleeps too darn much, the Yankees payroll, all the red states, all the blue states, every hybrid car, every talk show, everything on the planet, everything in the solar system, everything, everything, everything, everything, everything, everythingj every-everything that exists past present & future, in discovered and undiscovered dimensions!

[turns away, then turns back]

Oh, and Hugh Jackman.

Pink Pony
05-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Seems reasonable. I know that there was talk between Tech, LSSU and NMU to add a non conference series to make sure all three teams played four games against one another for a "Yooper Cup" type series.

About Time. Father Cappo would be in his glory.

aparch
05-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Couple of alumni notes: Phil Fox and Greger Hanson (with the Allen Americans) win CHL's Ray Miron Presidents Cup. http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=11043

And Matt Thurber returns to the ECHL Bakersfield Condors lineup in time to help them play for the Western Conference Finals against the Alaska Aces. Thurber was hospitalized (and Flight-of-Life'd to a specialized hospital) three weeks ago after having a tear in his esophagus. :eek:
http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/all-news/x588888906/Thuber-back-in-lineup-for-Condors

WildcatGoal
05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Just announced: 2 University of Wisconsin hockey games vs. Northern Michigan at the Resch Center in Green Bay on Oct. 17-18, the same weekend as the Packers-Panthers game at Lambeau Field at noon Oct. 19.

RaceBoarder
05-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Well, so much for having a cheap hotel within 50 miles for that weekend.... Anyone have experience with hotels on football weekends? I assume everything in Green Bay will be high prices.... Better to stay down in Appleton?

RapidsCity
05-14-2014, 03:09 AM
Well, so much for having a cheap hotel within 50 miles for that weekend.... Anyone have experience with hotels on football weekends? I assume everything in Green Bay will be high prices.... Better to stay down in Appleton?

Most GB hotels will have a 2 night minimum at 2 1/2-3 times the regular rates. You may be able to avoid some with a Saturday checkout. The mom and pop places are also a better bet than chains.

aparch
05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Matt Wellens just tweeted the tentative schedule:

Oct. 17-18 vs Wisconsin at Green Bay (NC) (as noted earlier, same weekend as Packers home game)
Oct. 24-25 at Lake Superior
Oct. 31-Nov. 1 vs Ala. Huntsville (NC) (was owed this by UAH for prior agreement)
Nov. 7-8 vs Ferris
Nov. 14-15 Bye Week
Nov. 21-22 at Alaska Anchorage
Nov. 28-29 at Alaska (I believe this is part of the Thanksgiving weekend, so NMU can stay in Alaska that week)
Dec. 5-6 vs Bowling Green
Dec. 12-13 at Bemidji
Jan. 2-3 vs Minnesota State
Jan. 9 vs Michigan Tech
Jan. 10 at Tech
Jan. 16-17 at UAH
Jan. 23-24 at Penn State (NC)
Jan. 30-31 vs UAA
Feb. 6-7 at Minnesota Duluth (NC)
Feb. 13-14 vs Bemidji
Feb. 20-21 at BGSU
Feb. 27-28 vs LSSU
Mar. 6 at Tech
Mar. 7 vs Tech

Really wish those LSSU games would be home/home games again. What a fun road trip that used to be twice a year.

NMUFAN
05-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Oct. 17-18 vs Wisconsin at Green Bay (NC) (as noted earlier, same weekend as Packers home game)
Oct. 31-Nov. 1 vs Ala. Huntsville (NC) (was owed this by UAH for prior agreement)
Nov. 7-8 vs Ferris
Nov. 14-15 Bye Week
Nov. 28-29 at Alaska (I believe this is part of the Thanksgiving weekend, so NMU can stay in Alaska that week)
Dec. 12-13 at Bemidji
Jan. 9 vs Michigan Tech
Jan. 10 at Tech
Jan. 16-17 at UAH
Jan. 30-31 vs UAA
Feb. 13-14 vs Bemidji
Feb. 20-21 at BGSU
Feb. 27-28 vs LSSU
Mar. 6 at Tech
Mar. 7 vs Tech

Really wish those LSSU games would be home/home games again. What a fun road trip that used to be twice a year.

Didn't you say that was a Roque decision to end the home/home? Maybe we'll see it again in the near future.

LSSULaker889294
05-15-2014, 07:54 PM

You and me both!

davyd83
05-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Most GB hotels will have a 2 night minimum at 2 1/2-3 times the regular rates. You may be able to avoid some with a Saturday checkout. The mom and pop places are also a better bet than chains.

Even those are scarce on a Packer weekend. You might have a little better luck with the Mom & Pops in the outlying areas.

davyd83
05-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Nov. 7-8 vs Ferris
Nov. 14-15 Bye Week
Dec. 12-13 at Bemidji
Jan. 9 vs Michigan Tech
Jan. 10 at Tech
Jan. 16-17 at UAH
Jan. 30-31 vs UAA
Feb. 13-14 vs Bemidji
Feb. 20-21 at BGSU
Feb. 27-28 vs LSSU
Mar. 6 at Tech
Mar. 7 vs Tech

That makes for a really long day for players for whomever has to do the Friday travel. Much better to travel Thursday, have a skate & a good dinner, morning skate Friday and operate with regular weekend road schedule as opposed to leaving at 1:30 in the afternoon and not getting home to bed before 2 or 2:30 am.

aparch
05-16-2014, 09:24 AM
That makes for a really long day for players for whomever has to do the Friday travel. Much better to travel Thursday, have a skate & a good dinner, morning skate Friday and operate with regular weekend road schedule as opposed to leaving at 1:30 in the afternoon and not getting home to bed before 2 or 2:30 am.

East Coast teams don't b*tch about busing two/three hours before and after games, and in-fact frequently prefer it while they rue hotel stays and long distance travel.

davyd83
05-16-2014, 10:46 AM
East Coast teams don't b*tch about busing two/three hours before and after games, and in-fact frequently prefer it while they rue hotel stays and long distance travel.

Where did I say anyone b****ed? I've got many years of 3 games in 3 cities in 3 nights under my belt with 4-8 hours on the bus between them, 10 in one case. What I said was that it was a long day for the teams and at that distance, it's preferable to play 2. If it's an hour or two each way, it's not as bad. As for the Esstern teams, they also have a lot of trips of an hour or less. The grueling roadies Northeastern makes to BC, Providence, BU and Lowell are tough. Those Eastern teams rarely play the same team back to back as well.

aparch
05-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Where did I say anyone b****ed? I've got many years of 3 games in 3 cities in 3 nights under my belt with 4-8 hours on the bus between them, 10 in one case. What I said was that it was a long day for the teams and at that distance, it's preferable to play 2. If it's an hour or two each way, it's not as bad. As for the Esstern teams, they also have a lot of trips of an hour or less. The grueling roadies Northeastern makes to BC, Providence, BU and Lowell are tough. Those Eastern teams rarely play the same team back to back as well.
You got defensive quickly. :p

I can't image a three hour trip leads to "bus legs" that severe that the team needs to leave Thursday just to get a light skate in that night. But, I will defer that to you because you have dealt with it much more than I have. For as much time as the 'Cats spent on a bus this season (or even any other season) to get to conference games, it just seems odd that such a close (relatively) game would not be home/home. I would think it would be a way to boost attendance by "adding" one more home weekend date to the schedule.

LSSULaker889294
05-16-2014, 04:25 PM
2014-15 schedule just officially released.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/20140516p9s7di

Pink Pony
05-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Marquette isn't to close to anybody.