PDA

View Full Version : NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

aparch
04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
In the past few days I have spoken with the team and with the league offices. The schedules will be officially released when they are completed.

Can you be sure that the schedule includes the dates of the WCHA quarter finals, WCHA finals, NCAA regional, and Frozen Four? I feel leaving those dates off doesn't give the players something to shoot for. Sure they know it and are told about it, but the gentle reminder would be nice.

davyd83
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I hope Bill Robertson finds a position for you in the WCHA offices.

They can't afford me.

QUAlum2004
04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch now
93 D Zach Urban (@LangleyRivermen) commits to Northern Michigan. 6'4, 212 lb D from Penticton, BC had 19 pts in 49 @BCHLLive games in 13-14.

New recruit for Northern Michigan

davyd83
04-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Did they release Joey from his contract?

How does that relate to a question about the schedule and why would they release Joe from a contract?

davyd83
04-17-2014, 08:51 PM
I thought we were talking about Joey.

The portion you quoted was from a question about the schedule release

aparch
04-18-2014, 02:16 PM
So Joey doesn't want to come home.

You already answered that in the LSSU thread.

Yes Shawhan applied but Comley did not forward the application to AD Dunbar.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
You already answered that in the LSSU thread.

*herpaderp*

gfmorris
04-19-2014, 11:59 PM
I missed that there was an offseason thread when I posted this yesterday, so I apologize if you see it again: Justin Florek looked good last night against the Red Wings. When Paille and Kelly are back in the lineup, I really want Florek to bump Thornton to the press box. That line needs someone who can be physical, and Florek actually still has hockey skills. I guess you need goons in the regular season, but you don't in the playoffs. I was impressed by Florek.

Dave, which UAH-NMU series will be non-conference? I think that you've told me once, but I'm forgetful. I'm just trying to figure out the rotations, as if it matters since we probably won't have this league scheduling arrangement in 16-17 anyway.

GFM

davyd83
04-20-2014, 04:10 AM
I missed that there was an offseason thread when I posted this yesterday, so I apologize if you see it again: Justin Florek looked good last night against the Red Wings. When Paille and Kelly are back in the lineup, I really want Florek to bump Thornton to the press box. That line needs someone who can be physical, and Florek actually still has hockey skills. I guess you need goons in the regular season, but you don't in the playoffs. I was impressed by Florek.

Dave, which UAH-NMU series will be non-conference? I think that you've told me once, but I'm forgetful. I'm just trying to figure out the rotations, as if it matters since we probably won't have this league scheduling arrangement in 16-17 anyway.

GFM

The series in Marquette will be non conference. It is a make up for last year's series which was scheduled as non con prior to UAH joining the league.

davyd83
04-20-2014, 11:19 AM
The Wildcats sure care for other league members.

The series was contracted prior to UAH joining the league.

AnchorsAway
04-20-2014, 03:16 PM
The series was contracted prior to UAH joining the league.

Davy, why couldn't the teams just have mutually agreed to back out of the series in time to schedule other non-conference tilts? This seems kind of a silly setup for both parties, why use up a non-conference weekend on a league opponent, when it wont count for the league standings??

davyd83
04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Davy, why couldn't the teams just have mutually agreed to back out of the series in time to schedule other non-conference tilts? This seems kind of a silly setup for both parties, why use up a non-conference weekend on a league opponent, when it wont count for the league standings??

Two home dates. It was a one series deal. When the WCHA took that away last year, it was very costly. It's a one for none home series with no return trip and expense necessary. Why not keep it? Why forego that revenue?

RapidsCity
04-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Two home dates. It was a one series deal. When the WCHA took that away last year, it was very costly. It's a one for none home series with no return trip and expense necessary. Why not keep it? Why forego that revenue?

Seems reasonable. I know that there was talk between Tech, LSSU and NMU to add a non conference series to make sure all three teams played four games against one another for a "Yooper Cup" type series.

AnchorsAway
04-20-2014, 08:57 PM

Right on, that makes perfect sense, I didn't think of it like that, thanks!

davyd83
04-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Right on, that makes perfect sense, I didn't think of it like that, thanks!
Because of the scheduled non conference series, NMU would have preferred that it be left alone and to play at UAH in conference play. But the WCHA didn't grant that and the team was scheduled to play another opponent on the weekend originally meant for UAH at NMU.

aparch
04-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Dammit Florek. :D What a great way to get your first playoff goal... But I wanted the Wings to win.

Good for him though. He's progressed well, and will be in the NHL for a long time if he keeps playing like this.

aygwm2
04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I see that NMU has a new president, Fritz Erickson. He's been at Ferris and MTU among other places and has a bachelor's degree from WMU. Is he a college hockey fan and will he be a strong advocate of NMU hockey? Curious...

RaceBoarder
04-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I see that NMU has a new president, Fritz Erickson. He's been at Ferris and MTU among other places and has a bachelor's degree from WMU. Is he a college hockey fan and will he be a strong advocate of NMU hockey? Curious...

I don't think he's gonna hurt athletics... Not gonna go out of his way to make them flourish, but not gonna totally disregard them either... At least that's what I read into the situation...

LSSULaker889294
04-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Baker and Kesti Named NMU Hockey Co-Captains For 2014-15.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/20140424rkqkwd

NMUFAN
04-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Baker and Kesti Named NMU Hockey Co-Captains For 2014-15.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/20140424rkqkwd

Solid choices.