X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Semis: UHN vs. Providence

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    True, but its not like its the first time that ever happened
    Correct ... and interestingly, dating back to 1990 which was the first season when the #1 seed didn't get a bye into the HE semis, of the five (5) times a #1 seed has lost in the HE quarterfinals, it's happened three (3) times to BC. The most recent #1 seed to lose was our UNH Wildcats in 2010 (to UVM and midget goalie Madore), and probably still the most memorable was back in 1998 when Merrimack and outgoing Coach Ron Anderson toppled BU in three games. BC's trifecta came in 1991 (single elimination to NU) and in 2004 (best of 3 to BU ) ... and in now 2014 against Notre Dame. They say things happen in threes ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Providence basketball game is a 7:20 tip off on friday...

Comment

Originally posted by squidjigger View Post
        ouch

Comment

Where?
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Yet another (likely VERY small) break comes UNH's way. You keeping a running tally, Felger??

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Yet another (likely VERY small) break comes UNH's way. You keeping a running tally, Felger??
              I'm curious why you see that as a break for UNH. PC only has 10 of us hockey fans anyway. And since I'm out west now, it will be difficult to make it to Boston next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                Where?
                Texas i believe

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                  Texas i believe
                  Yep they'll be playing in San Antonio. Gonna be a blow to what was probably already a small contingent of Friar fans and students making the trip to the Garden.

Comment

ouch
                    That sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar Away View Post
                      Yep they'll be playing in San Antonio. Gonna be a blow to what was probably already a small contingent of Friar fans and students making the trip to the Garden.
                      I suspect the usual 10 fans (it would have been 11 if I was in New England) along with the players families will show for PC. I do hope it is much larger, but PC has not traveled well for a long, long time. I'm not so sure bouncy ball will have a big effect.

Comment

have they announced who is playing early game yet , lowell has the option to choose.
                        I think that's actually NESN's call, not the highest seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          I think that's actually NESN's call, not the highest seeds.
                          It's the higher seeds call.

Lowell is playing the early game.
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                            It's the higher seeds call.

Lowell is playing the early game.
                            Ill let a higher authority than me chime in on this to confirm, but here at BU i believe we learned otherwise a few years back.

You are correct that Lowell is in the early game.
                            Last edited by ericredaxe; 03-17-2014, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Running out of ink trying to keep the tally.

Wishing we could have had just a smidge of this luck when Sadowski walked in on Alfie in ot
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Something else that crossed my mind, looking ahead to next weekend ... one of four programs has an opportunity to add a HE Tourney trophy to their modest hardware collections. Notre Dame, being the newcomers, have a great opportunity to overturn what has been a mediocre debut season by taking their first HE hardware, and as at least one of their fans posted on another thread ... they are still the defending CCHA Tourney champs (something they'll carry with them forever, barring a future rebirth of that league) so they can "repeat" in what would be a very unique way. But I don't see them getting past Lowell.

Providence and UNH have won this tourney twice apiece, and are playing each other on Friday with a chance to advance and play for their 3rd HE Tourney trophy. That would move either program into 4th place overall in HE history, behind BC, BU and UMaine (closest ahead with 5 HE trophies). Defending champions UMass Lowell have a chance to add their second such trophy, and emulate what first-time winners UNH did in consecutive seasons in 2002 and 2003 ... and in doing so, draw even with PC and UNH in the middle tier of HE Trophy hardware (with a bullet though!). Northeastern and Lowell are currently the only one-time winners.

It's pretty modest stuff when compared to what has happened with the three leading programs historically, but an opportunity all the same for one of the programs to enjoy a moment in the sun, and sharpen up their comparisons. It's hard not to give the edge to the defending champs, but regardless it should be a great time, and hope we see some great hockey too.

Comment

Working...
                                X