Hockey East Semis: #2 UMass-Lowell vs. #8 Notre Dame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Semis: #2 UMass-Lowell vs. #8 Notre Dame

I was at game yesterday, they were all over the BC forwards, most games they would have been whistled, pretty amazing with what they got away with...Gaudreau was mugged all night with no calls....if both teams play that style it is okay, I guess, but it clearly favored the ND style of play....not to say they didn't clog the center ice....but you can do things to break that, but if the refs are not calling the clutching, spinning, and pulling down....it's tough....

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
      Less clutch/grab and more clog/congest lately to be honest.
      no

Comment

Originally posted by beach327 View Post
        I was at game yesterday, they were all over the BC forwards, most games they would have been whistled, pretty amazing with what they got away with...Gaudreau was mugged all night with no calls....if both teams play that style it is okay, I guess, but it clearly favored the ND style of play....not to say they didn't clog the center ice....but you can do things to break that, but if the refs are not calling the clutching, spinning, and pulling down....it's tough....
        well vermont was playing similar in style so we've had some practice against it. Not the way I like to see things go, but the refs have their styles.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Depending on what ref you get..... tough when the ref assignment determines what type of game you're getting....GO LOWELL!!!

Comment

If it's not a blatant hold, hook, or trip, and the puck is there, what are they going to call? Maybe I missed something obvious yesterday, but I don't remember a slew of things like you're insinuating. Yet ND does usually get more things called against them, quite possible I wasn't paying attention to things behind the play while watching the broadcast like I do in person. Overall they did call the stuff that was obvious (6 guys out there, tripping of Demko). But the groans from the crowd on a lot of the contact along the boards just had me shaking my head.

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            no
            Implied comparison to 'way they were before.' If you have further insight as to how ND was playing their average game from Nov-Jan compared to Feb-now I'd love to hear it.
            Last edited by candycanes99; 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM.
            Boston University 2009 Champs
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
              If it's not a blatant hold, hook, or trip, and the puck is there, what are they going to call? Maybe I missed something obvious yesterday, but I don't remember a slew of things like you're insinuating. Yet ND does usually get more things called against them, quite possible I wasn't paying attention to things behind the play while watching the broadcast like I do in person. Overall they did call the stuff that was obvious (6 guys out there, tripping of Demko). But the groans from the crowd on a lot of the contact along the boards just had me shaking my head.

Implied comparison to 'way they were before.' If you have further insight as to how ND was playing their average game from Nov-Jan compared to Feb-now I'd love to hear it.
              I can't recall a game in HE with more grabbing, hooking, etc than what happened Sunday. If that was down from what occurred earlier in the season, Bennedetto & crew would have you guys playing a man down for 60 minutes.

It was the Pat Riley school of thought, if I foul (or in this case commit a penalty) on every play they can't call it every time. Mainly because those morons were thinking, "It's a playoff game, I can't call a penalty, I might have an affect on the game!" All the while by calling nothing they were influencing it more.

*ND DESERVED TO WIN THE SERIES*
              Last edited by claver2010; 03-18-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I can't recall a game in HE with more grabbing, hooking, etc than what happened Sunday. If that was down from what occurred earlier in the season, Bennedetto & crew would have you guys playing a man down for 60 minutes.

It was the Pat Riley school of thought, if I foul (or in this case commit a penalty) on every play they can't call it every time. Mainly because those morons were thinking, "It's a playoff game, I can't call a penalty, I might have an affect on the game!" All the while by calling nothing they were influencing it more.

*ND DESERVED TO WIN THE SERIES*
                I know you probably are too young to be around for the Shawn Walsh years but this was exactly how he got things done. It was especially bad in the last minute of a game or overtime. You had to have a laugh when his last game involved his team getting called for it (non-HE refs, hahahhaha) and him getting booted for complaining that his kids got caught cheating under his orders. Then the next year, Minnesota beats Maine on a PP in overtime for the national title. That remains some of the most rich stuff in college hockey history.

Interestingly, the games this weekend resembled those Maine teams of old right down to the coach complaining about getting caught. Sometimes it works as we learned from Walsh.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

ps - Go Riverhawks.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    I know you probably are too young to be around for the Shawn Walsh years but this was exactly how he got things done. It was especially bad in the last minute of a game or overtime. You had to have a laugh when his last game involved his team getting called for it (non-HE refs, hahahhaha) and him getting booted for complaining that his kids got caught cheating under his orders. Then the next year, Minnesota beats Maine on a PP in overtime for the national title. That remains some of the most rich stuff in college hockey history.

Interestingly, the games this weekend resembled those Maine teams of old right down to the coach complaining about getting caught. Sometimes it works as we learned from Walsh.
                    Man, I remember those Maine teams, and what they got away with. Not that they weren't talented, of course.
                    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Well if anything that's a testament to just how talented the forwards for BC were, and ND probably did get away with too much. There probably won't be as much without a Gaudreau or Hayes on the ice to catch.

And alas, I wish we had more Benedetto. Seemed like Bunyon was the one most willing to make the trip to South Bend most of the time.
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Is it Friday yet?
                        Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                        Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                        "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                        KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

It is fine when refs swallow their whistles when the teams play similar styles... But in this case, complete opposites, it clearly gives the advantage to the clutch and grab team. Some of the calls not made would have been made a hundred times out of a hundred, just seemed incredible they weren't in this series. Listening to the announcers in the replay, saying as "bad" as the no-calls were, at least the were consistent. Well only ND was clutching and grabbing, so their consistency favored ND's style.

Comment

It is fine when refs swallow their whistles when the teams play similar styles... But in this case, complete opposites, it clearly gives the advantage to the clutch and grab team. Some of the calls not made would have been made a hundred times out of a hundred, just seemed incredible they weren't in this series. Listening to the announcers in the replay, saying as "bad" as the no-calls were, at least the were consistent. Well only ND was clutching and grabbing, so their consistency favored ND's style.
                            Fair enough, agree with that. Just curious not having seen a lot of their games, what was BC doing all season to lead the conf in PIM?
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

150 free student tickets look to be gone by the end of the day. About 80 in line right now
                              BS UMass Lowell 2015
                              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

you're exactly right....I haven't a clue.....blinded by bias too....When one team is a speed team, passing etc.....and the other is a clutch and grab(talented too) wait for a mistake, (and continually clutching and grabbing w/o calls leads to a number of odd man rushes)... it favors one team as they clog the middle and wait for the mistake...sure they can clutch and grab too, but if it's not their style of hockey, it's tough to adjust (YES) in a game....you can definitely get slowed down by the way a game is called, however a team can't gain speed and finesse by the way a game is called....my bias is I didn't like the Devil's style of hockey when they were winning their Cups and after watching ND play I don't like their style either...If the refs call all the grabbing and clutching ND did this weekend, they probably fall behind because of the PP and would have to open up, which is not their strength....hey...hockey is a game and there are winners....I just think the refs really did influence the outcome this weekend by the calls they didn't make...calls they make are always going to be argued, I think it is always the calls they don't make that can really influence an outcome...JUST MY BIAS
                                Last edited by beach327; 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X