PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Shirtless Guy
03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys, I hadn't seen that. Here's the tweet.

I'll take a one for none over one for games in Green Bay. I would rather see us play home games in Houghton than have UW tell us to play home games in Green Bay. But we've basically traded a 1 for 1 with someone for 2 @ Notre Dame and 2 @ Wisconsin...

davyd83
03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys, I hadn't seen that. Here's the tweet.

I'll take a one for none over one for games in Green Bay. I would rather see us play home games in Houghton than have UW tell us to play home games in Green Bay.

Good luck trying to get those 1-for-1 series. The 1 away series comes with financial guarantees. A lot of the 2 for 1 one offers don't include any money coming back to the little guy that makes two trips. The Green Bay series has worked out well for NMU both financially and as an outreach to alumni in the Fox Valley and Wisconsin.

oldish husky
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Good luck trying to get those 1-for-1 series. The 1 away series comes with financial guarantees. A lot of the 2 for 1 one offers don't include any money coming back to the little guy that makes two trips. The Green Bay series has worked out well for NMU both financially and as an outreach to alumni in the Fox Valley and Wisconsin.

The final answer always lies with the money.

bigblue_dl
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
I'd take a 1 for 1 with a Clarkson, or an RPI or St. Lawrence than a 1 for none with the likes of WI.

Freddie
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Why are we agreeing to such horse**** non-conference games? Screw Wisconsin.

I agree with bigblue_dl on this one. Holy crap, that means I've agreed with him twice in two weeks. I'm worried.

BG has stood firm on this from the start of re-alignment. We told Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and others it's either 1 for 1 or nothing. We had Ohio State for a home and home (granted they were both Tuesday nights, but that appears to have been because of the shake up in WCHA schedules after Hunstville came on board). The rest of our NC schedule looked weak as the season started (Colgate, Union and that Pittsbugh tournament). Next year we've got Ohio State, Miami and Robert Morris, all home and home weekend series, plus a 2 game set at Clarkson, with them coming here for 2 the following year.

Why am I posting this on your thread? Simple; the best/only way to stop this money grab by the big-whatevers and butt-hurts is to ALL STICK TOGETHER. B1G especially...with only 20 conference games, they've got a ton of NC dates they need to fill. If we all make it clear we won't do 2 for 1, or 2 for none, they'll either have to come around or start scheduling NC games against conference opponents just to fill out their schedules.

mtu_huskies
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't like the one for nones, but doesn't it accomplish two things with the ND and UW examples? Suzanne gets cash to help balance her budget and I think Mel truly believes you have to play the better teams to improve, and if we can pull out a W on the road against a good team it'll help the RPI.

bigblue_dl
03-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I don't like the one for nones, but doesn't it accomplish two things with the ND and UW examples? Suzanne gets cash to help balance her budget and I think Mel truly believes you have to play the better teams to improve, and if we can pull out a W on the road against a good team it'll help the RPI.

You could easily argue that it (playing so many non-con road games) hurt the team this year.

mtu_huskies
03-25-2014, 01:49 PM
You could easily argue that it (playing so many non-con road games) hurt the team this year.

Completely agree, I think Mel would even say that. 7 of the first 8 on the road against tough teams was a tough way to start the season, even more so when you don't get the Ws. So to that point we'll have to find some more one for ones so that in '15-16 when we're at MSU and potentially at UMD if that keeps going, we get an early season weekend at home mixed in.

manurespreader
03-25-2014, 04:09 PM
All of this is taking an awful lot of the coaches time I would bet and the options are pretty limited. If the reffing in HE were more fair it would make things easier. But I also would go for the ECAC and 1 for 1's rather than the crap we are getting from the big ten.

Shirtless Guy
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
All of this is taking an awful lot of the coaches time I would bet and the options are pretty limited. If the reffing in HE were more fair it would make things easier. But I also would go for the ECAC and 1 for 1's rather than the crap we are getting from the big ten.
I don't have much problem with having one or two 2 for 1s on the books but I don't think we should be doing 1 for nones, we have the GLI every year, Just replacing the Notre Dame and Wisconsin series with something against an ECAC team would be better...especially if those games with an ECAC team were at home early last year. Confidence is as important and playing in tough places. Think about that first season and how different it might have been if that first series of the season had been at Notre Dame instead of home against American International?

stuckinwi
03-25-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't have much problem with having one or two 2 for 1s on the books but I don't think we should be doing 1 for nones, we have the GLI every year, Just replacing the Notre Dame and Wisconsin series with something against an ECAC team would be better...especially if those games with an ECAC team were at home early last year. Confidence is as important and playing in tough places. Think about that first season and how different it might have been if that first series of the season had been at Notre Dame instead of home against American International?

How about we just win the games in ND instead? First night was close. Maybe stay out of the box the second night. We want to be a good team? We ought to be playing the tough teams. I'm on the Mel bandwagon here.

Shirtless Guy
03-25-2014, 04:49 PM
How about we just win the games in ND instead? First night was close. Maybe stay out of the box the second night. We want to be a good team? We ought to be playing the tough teams. I'm on the Mel bandwagon here.I think ECAC, @UMD, @Michigan, Michigan State is a pretty darn strong NC schedule.

bigblue_dl
03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
How about we just win the games in ND instead? First night was close. Maybe stay out of the box the second night. We want to be a good team? We ought to be playing the tough teams. I'm on the Mel bandwagon here.

Umm, the ECAC is no longer the EZAC. Just because we want to schedule those teams, doesn't mean we want an easy schedule. The ECAC is the home of the defending National Champions, the defending National Runner up, a current #1 seed, and oh, that team isn't one of the teams in the championship game last year. Not to mention Colgate, who went through Ferris and Minnesota, in Minnesota earlier this year, or Cornell, who is never easy to play or St. Lawrence. I'm not suggesting going ECAC because it would make it an easier schedule...

davyd83
03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I agree with bigblue_dl on this one. Holy crap, that means I've agreed with him twice in two weeks. I'm worried.

BG has stood firm on this from the start of re-alignment. We told Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and others it's either 1 for 1 or nothing. We had Ohio State for a home and home (granted they were both Tuesday nights, but that appears to have been because of the shake up in WCHA schedules after Hunstville came on board). The rest of our NC schedule looked weak as the season started (Colgate, Union and that Pittsbugh tournament). Next year we've got Ohio State, Miami and Robert Morris, all home and home weekend series, plus a 2 game set at Clarkson, with them coming here for 2 the following year.

Why am I posting this on your thread? Simple; the best/only way to stop this money grab by the big-whatevers and butt-hurts is to ALL STICK TOGETHER. B1G especially...with only 20 conference games, they've got a ton of NC dates they need to fill. If we all make it clear we won't do 2 for 1, or 2 for none, they'll either have to come around or start scheduling NC games against conference opponents just to fill out their schedules.

Before Huntsville was accepted, a 32 game conference slate was proposed, playing each of the other 8 4x. With the Alaska exemptions, you still have the ability to play 6 NC games and would have put a crimp in the fats cats ability to demand 2/1 agreements.

As for booking even swaps with eastern schools, don't forget the expense if a flight when teams already have their travel budgets stretched. Some will happen, but not a lot.

FadeToBlack&Gold
03-25-2014, 07:03 PM

I agree, it's beyond stupid to be complaining about this. After realignment, you take what you can get. Plus, road games build character. Look at how green this year's team was on defense, and most of those early road games were one-goal losses.

This altruistic nonsense about banding together is exactly that - altruistic nonsense. It won't work. It's not like the B1G teams will be crying about losing games with the WCHA, because everyone is clamoring to play the B1G - they will simply schedule more games with the NCHC, ECAC, and HEA.

bigblue_dl
03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Character is great but when it digs you a 45 team hole in the PWR...

FadeToBlack&Gold
03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Character is great but when it digs you a 45 team hole in the PWR...

As I said, we had three freshman + a sophomore on D, and a handful of each up front as well. They lost a visionary senior defenseman who ran the powerplay and was easily the best player on Russell's final two teams. We were still in a majority of those early road games. What do you expect? Remember, they were only 2.5 years removed from a 30 loss season. For comparison, Berenson didn't have Michigan playing above .500 again until his fourth year. So, next season Mel should be feeling the heat.

bigblue_dl
03-25-2014, 07:33 PM
My argument would be that we need a combination of tough non con games and easier ones. And a combination of home and away non conference games. This year was too extreme. Put the Notre Dame games at MacInnes, and it looks MUCH better than what we had.

FadeToBlack&Gold
03-25-2014, 08:48 PM
My argument would be that we need a combination of tough non con games and easier ones. And a combination of home and away non conference games. This year was too extreme. Put the Notre Dame games at MacInnes, and it looks MUCH better than what we had.

Put the ND games at MacInnes, and we're playing one of the bottom three AHA (or maybe ECAC w/ a return trip) teams instead, to a crowd of 2,200 or less both nights. A marginal profit for Tech, and two probable wins that would've been no better for our RPI.

To an extent, I agree that the early schedule this season was too tough given the team Mel had, but the results proved that they were not completely over their head, and I think the experience was important. That does not mean that we should be throwing up our hands and making the schedule easier. I want us to go into Yost, the Munn Morgue, and that sh*tty basketball arena in Madison, and plan to win, even if the majority of the lunkheaded Walmart crowd expects a blowout.

mtu_huskies
03-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Congrats to Brad.
http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/20140325fgbaaa

Stebner Signs with ECHL’s Stockton Thunder

STOCKTON, Calif. — Michigan Tech hockey player Brad Stebner (Fort McMurray, Alb.) signed an amateur tryout contract with the Stockton Thunder of the East Coast Hockey League it was announced today by Thunder Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Rich Kromm.

Stebner concluded his collegiate career with the Huskies earlier this month. He served as team co-captain and posted one goal and six assists in 37 games this season. A three-time WCHA Scholar-Athlete, Stebner totaled 29 points on five goals and 24 assists in 139 career games.

"I'm happy that Stockton gave me this chance to continue to pursue my goals in hockey," said Stebner. "Tech is a great school and organization that developed me for this opportunity. I'm grateful to all the people there. I look forward to seeing where this opportunity leads."

Stebner will join the Thunder immediately. The team, which is an affiliate of the NHL's New York Islanders and AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers, has 11 games remaining in its regular season. The next two games are at home against the Idaho Steelheads, featuring former Tech goaltender Josh Robinson.