Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    The AmericaOne site has the WCHA packages up. $45 for a 30 day pass and $150 for a season pass. Looks like it expires at the end of the regular season. I thought the playoffs were included last year but I could be wrong.

If you are a previous subscriber you may want to wait to see if they come out with a lower rate like they did at the start of the season last year.
    The on campus playoff games were included last season.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I didn't catch the show. Any nuggets of interest discussed during the show?
      Ryan J
      I'll post my summary in the next post, but anyone else listen and wonder what the statement about having 10 Dmen right now was? And then Mel said they're all on campus at this point. Made me wonder if there was a clearinghouse concern/issue or something.

Also, some of the scheduling was interesting. Sounds like we might get UW up to Houghton which would be impressive if NMU could only get Green Bay out of them.

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary for 8/25:
        What's going on right now?
        A lot, exciting to see new players, all freshmen are here as of yesterday.
        Fun to see them anxious/nervous and excited to get going, freshmen orientation this week.
        Joe Shawhan is in town permanently, in office everyday. Getting our schedule together for 1st part of the season, get ideas on line/d-pairing etc.
        Upperclassmen are filtering in, don't have to be back til next weekend but most are here.
        Recruiting on going, a number visited the copper country this summer.
        Do you size up freshmen? Lying if he said no, Coach Mukalt said wow, they look like hockey players. They all look in good shape.
        We still have a few weeks before we can get on the ice with them, but they'll get on the ice some.

On Freshmen class:
        They don't have to come in and lead. Years ago we had to play younger players, an all-freshmen line playing UND senior and juniors. Can't expect to win in those situations.
        Kero/Pietila/Johnstone some good seniors. Plus Petan, good core of 4 players, filter in younger guys that can come in and be part of a line or D-pair.
        Hanna recently named a rookie student athlete of the year. Do you worry about sophomore slumps? No, not at all. Don't believe in it. Need to remember how hard you had to work last year and do it again.
        Expect to be a top tier team. Hanna isn't satisfied, he wasn't drafted in NHL draft. A lot of people talked to him, but not drafted, still has plenty to prove.
        Can there be a relaxation in drafted players? There can be, we see it more in committed players. Get your scholarship and let up on the energy/push/urgency to be a better player. Have to be careful. Same for being drafted, can't let up if drafted.
        The top 6 Dmen will be very competitive. We had freshmen playing right away last year, not great at the time, but freshmen responded well.
        Some guys have to play better than last year. 4 Dmen on roster will not be playing, at this time we're scheduled for 10 Dmen, we'll see if they all show up. At this time we have 10 on the roster.

On opening series against LSSU:
        We've talked to Damon a few times on some things.
        Any issues with his guys coming in behind the scenes, with Damon as main recruiter? No not at all, we all know all the kids. All freshmen are in town and expected to be here.
        Sometimes as staff leave it can be tough, a couple college schools lost both assistants. Western is one example, not easy to lose any, loosing two is tough.

Blueline start of the season meet the team picnic, Tuesday Sept 9 at waterfront park. Meet the players. 5:30. $5 gets you in. $10 per family, can bring a dish. Burgers/pop etc.

Excited about Michigan coming in. They'll be top 5 in the country form the start. Best forwards in the country. Solid D and good goaltenders. They'll be as good of a team as we'll see all year.
        Excited for our fans to see a team of that caliber to come up here. We've played MI 2nd most all time in history of Tech hockey. Great they're coming up there. We'll go back down in a couple years. Talking to them currently about coming back up here.
        A ton of Michigan fans have already called our ticket office, their allotment has sold out so they're calling our ticket office. Tickets are going fast, get them soon.
        We have a few plans for that home opener that can't be announced yet, it'll be fun. We need fan support, full stands can help. We had 2 hard fought games last year.
        Red doesn't show much emotion, do you get that he's excited to come to Houghton? He is, back when he played, he remembers the Dee stadium days. He's got great stories of old timers he played against. Loved the community. Talked to him last week, they're excited.
        It's good for college hockey in MI we should be playing MI and MSU.

On Schedule in 1st month:
        Anxious on 2 weeks off? Once you get going, want to keep playing. It's good/bad. Don't mind it, because we play 1st weekend, that 2 weeks will allow us to work through details/systems.
        Will be an intrasquad game. Meet the huskies that night.
        No Canadian team scheduled yet. Canadian league changed scheduling, finding it difficult to play in US college time frame. Snag this year, should be fixed in future years.
        Canadian schools like exhibitions too, they can look through their roster. Enjoy playing in front of good crowds. Talked to some schools for Fall 2015.
        Very big games at Ferris before our home opener too. Can't overlook that. They're as good as anyone. Big important games early in the season.

Touch on defense again:
        Haven't had a player like Seigo step up as PP quarterback. Credit to Hanna as he stepped up 2nd half. Led all Dmen in scoring in WCHA. Hard to do for freshman. He was a +8, not many freshmen were plus players. He has some puck handling struggles at the start, but he got a lot more comfortable, excited about him.
        Our PP towards the end of the year was very good.
        Shane will get a crack in 1st group. Auk is very capable with good numbers in USHL for 2nd PP unit. 2nd PP unit quarterback could be wide open. Sweeney could play on the 2nd unit. Walker Hyland has got a shot or could stick a forwards back there.
        On other players:
        Patrick Anderson, he has a redshirt if we'd like to. We have to talk to Patrick about that. He's experienced, hard worker, outstanding kid/student. Anxious to see how he does. Has had an injury bug.
        Vallis showed flashes, has to come in better shape and a little more hungry to do little things without the puck. Have to be able to trust him defensively.
        Heinonen was in/out, probably would've played late but got hurt. He has to play harder without the puck. With the puck he's good offensively. But needs to play a lot better defensively so we can trust him.
        Officially this is Jimmy Davis junior year after medical hardship last year, we'll visit it after this year. We played him late in the year against NMU and he was fine. Need to keep him healthy.
        Blake Hietila entering his 5th year and staff talked about him moving on or wanted to continue to play. He wanted to stay and work hard with competition, he looks good.
        Justin Fillion has transferred, had some academic issues, got some warnings, but he's decided to move on to a D3 school and play baseball/hockey.

Touching on schedule again: Nice to have MI coming into our building. UMD coming in too. Really like our schedule. Fair and tough schedule.
        We need good goaltending. Have a lot of in-experience in the net.
        Mentioned UMD. How is relationship with Sandelin? It's good, but we'll take a break after this year. Would like to continue the scheduling process. Known Scott a long time, he wants to continue it. UMD plays in a tournament in MN, so the years they play in that they likely wont play us.
        Talking to UND, MN, playing WI this year, have an agreement to bring UW up to Houghton. Not finalized. Good things going on with schedule. Trying to get the best schedule we can every year.
        Any conversation with NCHC teams? Sure. SCSU, UND, UMD. Looking at Western too, talking to Murray. Like trips to lower MI for alumni base.

Questions for Mel:

Did the WCHA have any conversations about letting all 10 into the playoffs?
        At last spring meeting, coaches presented that. We're only league in college hockey that does not allow all members into playoffs.
        Athletic directors will review it and consider, this year it will be the same. Only top 8 make it. Mel's opinion, all 10 should make the playoffs.
        Bergeron from BGSU gave a good talk about it. First few years, his teams were poor, didn't think they should be in playoffs.
        Others feel that this year, standing so tight that 8th from 9th place team, unbalanced schedule could have a say in the standings.
        At least give players for some hope for a second season.

Who do you see challenging for top 6 forward group?
        We have established players, Pietila, Kero, Johnstone, Petan have proven they can score consistently. Sturos had a strong year, but has to do some things to earn time. Expecting him in that group.
        Wide open after that. We have a few freshmen to push for roles up there. Maybe Heinonen or Hietila. Neville had a tremendous year, can play any team top center.
        A number of players will have opportunity. With exhibitions you can experiment, but we don't have that this year. A lot based on practice.

A number of rumors of more movement among schools in NCAA hockey, what are your thoughts on more changes in school alignments?
        Good question, it'll continue to come up.
        Saw an article on Arizona State adding hockey. The whole Pac 10 has real possibilities. You never know. Things have quieted down now. Haven't heard a lot of talk, but as things play out there might be more rearranging.

What are keys of turning around offense numbers from when offense ranked 43 and PP 49th.
        A healthy Blake Pietila will help, had 1 goal at xmas. Missed Johnstone too, and losing Jujhar hurt too, 3 big pieces.
        Blake is completely healthy. David feels better than ever. We'll get off to a good start on the PP. Have to finish.

Any chance of playing a Hockey East team in non-conference in the future?
        Yes, we've talked to a few. We've talked to ECAC, Union or RPI. Maybe playing each one in Albany. Talked to David Qunn of Boston University, they have so many close teams though. Hard to get them to travel to Houghton instead of a Cornell.
        Different culture out there, but it's changed. More teams willing to make trips. Once MI comes here, they'll have a positive experience and coaches will talk about the good experience of traveling to Houghton.

31 on roster, do you expect 31 at start of season?
        Yes I do. As he's aid in past, don't want to just get rid of players. 28 would be ideal, but at this time it's a full locker room.
        Competition is a good thing.

Comment

Well a couple of if's for this year. Will the goaltending be solid. I hope so. I really hope so.
          2. Will the 3ed and 4th lines contribute in a meaningful way?
          3. Will the power play click early in the year?
          4. Will we win enough games to where the fans start filling the place.?
          5. Will we get some shorty's and can the penalty kill be a weapon?

I'm hopeful but skeptical. I'm expecting the first six games to end up with at best a 4-2 record. I'm glad we are at Ferris early in the year.

The coach mentioned that teams want their non con schedule to help their rpi. So they are going to be picking non con opponents that, if they win, will boost them up. In order for us to get teams into Houghton consistently, we have to be higher in the rpi.
          I look at the Duluth games as very important.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'd be happy just to have the powerplay back at 20+% and the PK around 85%. Do that, play well 5x5, and they should have a 20+ win season with home ice.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              Mel Pearson show summary for 8/25:

Mentioned UMD. How is relationship with Sandelin? It's good, but we'll take a break after this year. Would like to continue the scheduling process. Known Scott a long time, he wants to continue it. UMD plays in a tournament in MN, so the years they play in that they likely wont play us.
              As I figured. After this year UMD won't play Tech too often.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                I am guessing they will probably do a single 1-for-1 exchange in a five-year cycle. That keeps them playing each other and lets UMD do their scheduling with the Gophers and the MN tourney, but also allows Mel to go after trading series with Western (which I would definitely road-trip to K-zoo for), and look towards HEA/the ECAC as well. I see a trade with Union and RPI much more likely in the near future than getting any of the Boston schools to agree to 1-for-1. I would get in touch with Walt or Damon and try do it as a travel partnership with NMU or LSSU, each team swapping opponents between Fri/Sat. Then a reciprocal 1-for-1 from Union and RPI as travel partners to the UP doing the same thing (but probably Fri/Sun).

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well a couple of if's for this year. Will the goaltending be solid. I hope so. I really hope so.
                  2. Will the 3ed and 4th lines contribute in a meaningful way?
                  3. Will the power play click early in the year?
                  4. Will we win enough games to where the fans start filling the place.?
                  5. Will we get some shorty's and can the penalty kill be a weapon?
                  I'm with you, goaltending is number 1. So many question marks. It'll be interesting to see how Jamie plays when he knows he's #1 guy.

Comment

There will be plenty of weight on his shoulders, with a sophomore who'd like playing time and a freshman local who wants to be the hometown hero to push him, and the Jets watching closely.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      Twitch Boy just wants to keep the third person thread tradition going.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        Twitch Boy just wants to keep the third person thread tradition going.
                        maybe we should pick a WCHA team. who hates Huntsville?
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

tJohnson's Jerseys nominates BGSU for booting MTU from the inaugural nWCHA playoffs and for all their discussion to secede from the nWCHA and reform the CCHA.

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Mel sounded great the other day.

I would too if I had his job.

Jamie Phillips will rise to the occasion.

I cannot wait to see the puck drop at the Soo.

I really look forward to Tech making some noise this year.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              maybe we should pick a WCHA team. who hates Huntsville?
                              Pretty much everyone in Bemidji.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Pretty much everyone in Bemidji.

GFM
                                So did you guys watch Fargo (TV Series, not movie) and just root for EVERYONE to die?
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X