Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Wow, I mention with the Shawhan hire that I am worried and I get lambasted......

I would be offering Mel another 5 years right now. This season is going to be amazing. He has already proven himself.

Stop the Muckalt and Pearson to Michigan right now by giving him another 5 year extension. Mel is an awesome person, awesome coach, and there has been no better representative of Michigan Tech hockey since the "legend"......

Personally, I would rather live on the lake on the Portage and enjoy the lifestyle then go live in Ann Arbor and be part of that crowd. We will see, but we definitely do not need anymore data to see that Mel can stay as long as Mel wants to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      Wow, I mention with the Shawhan hire that I am worried and I get lambasted......

I would be offering Mel another 5 years right now. This season is going to be amazing. He has already proven himself.

Stop the Muckalt and Pearson to Michigan right now by giving him another 5 year extension. Mel is an awesome person, awesome coach, and there has been no better representative of Michigan Tech hockey since the "legend"......

Personally, I would rather live on the lake on the Portage and enjoy the lifestyle then go live in Ann Arbor and be part of that crowd. We will see, but we definitely do not need anymore data to see that Mel can stay as long as Mel wants to stay.
      I'm with you 100%.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'd also agree. Mel's done plenty to be offered an extension.

The default roster has been updated so it's 2014-15 if you click on the hockey roster. Dane Birks has been added as expected.
        http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...2014-15/roster

Coaches were updated to with Joe Shawhan being added. Dieter Kochan is still listed.

Comment

In my opinion, one of the big values Pearson brings to MTU is as simple as his name and reputation. It appears to me he has good relationships with NHL teams and a history of developing talent. That fact alone helps with recruiting the talent to campus and allowing it to stay as long as possible. This is one of the key elements to rebuilding a team. Just based on that, the extension is worth offering at any point going forward from here. I would say make the offer as soon as possible and snuff out any chance of another team even begining to think about talking to Pearson.

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            The default roster has been updated so it's 2014-15 if you click on the hockey roster. Dane Birks has been added as expected.
            Hmm. Justin Fillion and Joe(l) Schuldt are sharing #5. Is Fillion looking to transfer, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              Wow, I mention with the Shawhan hire that I am worried and I get lambasted......I would be offering Mel another 5 years right now. This season is going to be amazing. He has already proven himself.Stop the Muckalt and Pearson to Michigan right now by giving him another 5 year extension. Mel is an awesome person, awesome coach, and there has been no better representative of Michigan Tech hockey since the "legend"......
              I don't see Mel leaving just for a contract, it would be more about other aspects of the program. Support, interest, Asst coach $ etc

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                I don't see Mel leaving just for a contract, it would be more about other aspects of the program. Support, interest, Asst coach $ etc
                Very true, but as long as Mel shows that they can be the class of the WCHA, consistently that upper echelon, he shouldn't have a problem getting funding, there is plenty of money in the alumni pool to give him what he wants if he continues to progress Michigan Tech towards the top of the WCHA, regularly wins the GLI and gets them in NCAA tournament talk.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Very true, but as long as Mel shows that they can be the class of the WCHA, consistently that upper echelon, he shouldn't have a problem getting funding, there is plenty of money in the alumni pool to give him what he wants if he continues to progress Michigan Tech towards the top of the WCHA, regularly wins the GLI and gets them in NCAA tournament talk.
                  Speaking of funding and $$$. Any updates to the rink, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                    Hmm. Justin Fillion and Joe(l) Schuldt are sharing #5. Is Fillion looking to transfer, perhaps?
                    Hmm, wouldn't surprise me if Justin Fillion leaves for playing time at a D3 school...not sure though.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I understand that though it's off the subject a bit, U of M lost a top european recruit to minnesota this last week. After he had showed up on campus.

Here's a link to the traditions of the best team in all sports world wide. The All blacks. just for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebZVMc0NKZs
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Original Seats from John MacInnes Ice Arena Available for Sale - $20 each

I was in the arena a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything new. but I also wasn't looking hard.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Hmm, wouldn't surprise me if Justin Fillion leaves for playing time at a D3 school...not sure though.
                          Fillion only played 1 game last year. Did he formally redshirt? He'll turn 25 in April, so this is probably his last year either way. Given the competition, it doesn't seem like he'd gain much by staying unless he wants to finish his sports & fitness mgt degree. Too bad because I thought he was a pretty decent player when he was healthy. He would have been a regular on some WCHA and AHA teams.

Comment

So since I now have a TV that knows what the Inter-web is, and because I live no where near any WCHA rinks, I'm thinking of picking up the online feed via America One for this season. I tried visiting their site, but there was no info about pricing, what was included and the site was showing as not secure so who knows what is going on.

Did anyone on here buy the service last year? How was the quality? (Especially from the JMSIA since that will be more than half the games I plan to watch.) The demo quality seemed to be very good, but I'm sure that is the best case scenario. I could live with a so-so quality for the road games as that won't be the bulk of the games. What was the price last year for a full season package? I think I remember reading somewhere that the playoffs were not included in the full season package last year. Is that correct?

Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              So since I now have a TV that knows what the Inter-web is, and because I live no where near any WCHA rinks, I'm thinking of picking up the online feed via America One for this season. I tried visiting their site, but there was no info about pricing, what was included and the site was showing as not secure so who knows what is going on.

Did anyone on here buy the service last year? How was the quality? (Especially from the JMSIA since that will be more than half the games I plan to watch.) The demo quality seemed to be very good, but I'm sure that is the best case scenario. I could live with a so-so quality for the road games as that won't be the bulk of the games. What was the price last year for a full season package? I think I remember reading somewhere that the playoffs were not included in the full season package last year. Is that correct?

Ryan J
                              I've had it for the last few years. Last year saw a big improvement in quality with the new equipment. I don't remember the price as last year was my brother's year to pay... The playoffs WERE included. Some road games have better quality. (BGSU, BSU) Some sucked (UAH, LSSU)

Definitely worth it in my opinion.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                                There was an early season rate of $125 then it went up to $150. This included access to all WCHA games live and on demand at a later date. Not sure when the on demand stopped but it is not accessible any more. I believe I had access in to May still. Also had a PIP option. Only tried two games at once but I think you could have more?

The feed from JMSIA was fantastic; TV quality in my opinion. Some of the other venues weren't as good but all were better than previous years. Well worth the $150 for even just the home games. Made it real easy to stay at home and not venture out in the cold & snow.

I have been logging in to America One over the last month or so and getting the same response. Not sure what the plans are for this year. Tried the link from the WCHA website with the same results. Hope they offer a similar package.

Comment

Working...
                                X