Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

I think we'll see plenty of Hietila early in the season at least. The way Mel talks about giving more credit to players that have money in the bank based on history may give Hietila the nod over some incoming freshmen.

For those that missed it, the Mining Gazette's article on the captains, partly focusing on Watson being an underclassman and wearing an A.

Men of letters
    http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Comment

In most years this is true, but this year is a definitely a distinction with higher caliber recruits and solid 2nd year players finding their place.

I am very interested to see how the coaching staff handles all the game day decisions this year.

What do you think of Eick, Neville, and Gould/Vallis as a shutdown line with scoring ability.

There are more difficult choices on defense as well.
      Last edited by Huskiefan906; 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I would like to see a breakout year from Gould (10g, 20p?), but he could just as easily ending up being a less gritty Rix, and without the ability to take draws. Both of which will push him out of the lineup if he's not scoring, IMO.

Vallis, too soon to tell. He didn't see much action last year.

Comment

Unrelated to hockey, apparently the football team now wants in on the D-I action taking on THE Ohio State Univ at the Horseshoe this fall. According to the pricing this is also THE hot ticket on campus. Who can blame them, it is the Huskies.

Ryan J

OHIO STATE VS MICHIGAN TECH TICKETS 11/29/2014
          $1100 / pair
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/181492243171

...and yes I did read the rest of the listing and know what they are really selling.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Unrelated to hockey, apparently the football team now wants in on the D-I action taking on THE Ohio State Univ at the Horseshoe this fall. According to the pricing this is also THE hot ticket on campus. Who can blame them, it is the Huskies.

Ryan J

OHIO STATE VS MICHIGAN TECH TICKETS 11/29/2014
            $1100 / pair
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/181492243171

...and yes I did read the rest of the listing and know what they are really selling.
            Well, good luck to the Huskies! Play like you have nothing to lose! After all, even if you do lose, the NCAA will vacate the O$U win.
            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Re: Original Seats from John MacInnes Ice Arena Available for Sale - $20 each

Bringing this up again as a buyer backed out on the last pair of seats after I had them already broken down and boxed for shipping before I moved. (A fan of Michigan - go figure.) So if anyone is still looking for a pair of seats I have two left, except they now reside in the Denver area. $40 for the pair plus shipping (figure $40-$50 depending on your location). So drop me a line if you need a pair (of JMSIA seats).
              Ryan J

Comment

• Re: Original Seats from John MacInnes Ice Arena Available for Sale - $20 each

I lost the seat I bought when I moved home from Tech and forgot it in my Daniel Heights Apt storage locker. I would love to take the pair off your hands. How difficult are they to reassemble once broken down for shipping? Bear in mind I am not an enginerd...er, engineer.

Also, if you get another buyer between now and August 21st who is willing to pony up cash or check right away, then go ahead and sell. Otherwise, consider them on hold. I'm envisioning a few plans for them that might actually work for my new apartment, although it would require some refinishing (while still paying respect to the original design and retaining the number plates).
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

interesting read.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...en-hockey-ncaa
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

It should be interesting to see how they implement rule changes. I actually think Michigan Tech could and other D2 schools could end up in better shape than D1 and D3 play ups because much of these rules will be focused on full ride players and I'm pretty sure there are no full rides in D2. Granted from what I've heard over the ears, we don't have many full rides.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Finally got around to reading some of the incoming frosh articles yesterday. Just makes me more pumped for next season. I remember when our top scoring prospects were putting up 20 pts a season with their junior hockey teams. We are fortunate enough now to be landing some players with 2-3 times that scoring potential.

Any word if MTU / Mel have had any discussions about a contract extension? Hearing that the team had at least offered him another 3-5 years would be positive news. What Mel did with such an offer would also give us a great deal of insight into his thoughts of how long he plans to be with MTU.

If he signs an extension, to me that pretty much says this will be his last coaching job before he retires (unless there is a complete meltdown or some scandal down the road). However if he gets deep into the last year of the contract and we haven't heard anything about an extension (especially if this year is another step forward for the Huskies) then I'm guessing that MTU was only a stop off to somewhere else to get that head coach title on the resume.

Ryan J

Comment

Finally got around to reading some of the incoming frosh articles yesterday. Just makes me more pumped for next season. I remember when our top scoring prospects were putting up 20 pts a season with their junior hockey teams. We are fortunate enough now to be landing some players with 2-3 times that scoring potential.

Any word if MTU / Mel have had any discussions about a contract extension? Hearing that the team had at least offered him another 3-5 years would be positive news. What Mel did with such an offer would also give us a great deal of insight into his thoughts of how long he plans to be with MTU.

If he signs an extension, to me that pretty much says this will be his last coaching job before he retires (unless there is a complete meltdown or some scandal down the road). However if he gets deep into the last year of the contract and we haven't heard anything about an extension (especially if this year is another step forward for the Huskies) then I'm guessing that MTU was only a stop off to somewhere else to get that head coach title on the resume.

Ryan J
                        This is not the last year of Mel's contract. This is year 4 of a 5 year deal.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          The point missing here is that UM has all sports in D1, hence the $1 million price tag. A D2 or D3 that plays one D1 sport could only give a stipend to the D1 athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            The point missing here is that UM has all sports in D1, hence the $1 million price tag. A D2 or D3 that plays one D1 sport could only give a stipend to the D1 athletes.
                            THe question Andy Johnson brought up when I mentioned that was how could it fly with Title 9. My answer was I thought the stipends were only suppose to go to athletes on a full ride, so that shouldn't effect any d2 athletes because I'm pretty sure no one is allowed to be a full ride in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              This is not the last year of Mel's contract. This is year 4 of a 5 year deal.
                              True, but that's what I mean that I won't be sweating it now if we don't hear anything this off season. However if it gets into next season and there hasn't been any discussion, that is when I will start to worry. In my opinion pretty much any level performance (other than a 25 loss season) in 2014-15 is going to earn him at least some type of extension offer based on how much rope we given past coaches over the last couple decades.
                              Ryan J

Comment

True, but that's what I mean that I won't be sweating it now if we don't hear anything this off season. However if it gets into next season and there hasn't been any discussion, that is when I will start to worry. In my opinion pretty much any level performance (other than a 25 loss season) in 2014-15 is going to earn him at least some type of extension offer based on how much rope we given past coaches over the last couple decades.
                                Ryan J
                                This is a huge year for Pearson. The worry would be that if they wait too long to extend him (after the season is over) and its a good season, this might be when Michigan comes calling. Who honestly knows, but if they are looking like top 3 team and win the GLI, I'd think the extension would happen before Carnival.

Comment

Working...
                                X