Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Definitely didn't see Copley leaving, he's had 2 good years but just good, not great, I did see him leaving after next year if he had another solid year, but I am betting the loss of Shields really accelerated his departure like the rest of you said.
    Last edited by bose301s; 03-19-2014, 11:19 PM.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Well, thought we might be talking about Jamie Phillips, but congratulations to Phoenix.
      He was fun to watch, but now I hope being no. 1 is good enough for Philips to stay.
      He can finally be the man now for Tech.

We heard little about Dieter Kochan, will he be back?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
        Are there parallels to Teslak leaving early too? Didn't he want a goalie coach as well. From my memory, Teslak was better and still got burried in the minors.
        Teslak's biggest issue was going to the Flyers organization. He was mismanaged by the Flyers his entire time as a pro. If he was with another team, he very well could still be playing, and maybe in the NHL.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Good luck to Pheonix, wish him the best. I don't think he's ready, but I don't know much about that so, I won't make a stink. It seems like a loss that we can easily weather, since we have 1 capable goalie on the roster, another that we think is quite capable that didn't get in a game last year, and a decent recruit coming in. I don't think we'll lose much going with Phillips, he should only get better with more playing time.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well the guy signed a tryout contract. In other words he might make it somewhere in the organization. But my guess is it won't be in the AHL. Maybe the ECHL. He did get better towards the end of the year, but how many times did we hear it said.. " he wanted that one back"?

One other point.. in Houghton now there is an unrelenting emphasis on getting better. This is the best thing that has happened in I don't know how long. In Hastings' news conference the other day he talked about Mankato working to get better, even this late in the year. It's the only way to field a competitive team now days.
            Look at the parity in the NHL, if you want to be at that level, you have to get better your whole career.You can't be a journeyman hockey player and make it any more.
            Gustav Nyquist is a prime example.

It's not just your physical skills, but it's studying the opponent. Listen to the interview Nick Lidstrom did right before he retired. It's amazing the detail he goes into as to how he approaches every single game.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              Are there parallels to Teslak leaving early too? Didn't he want a goalie coach as well. From my memory, Teslak was better and still got burried in the minors.
              Teslak's freshman year was a lot like Copley's two years here. He was either lights out, or giving up 3 in one period. Wasn't until Teslak's sophomore year that he developed consistency, and IMO that was as much a product of Russell fully implementing the 1-2-2/1-1-3 trap with loads of picks and no-touch icing (line changes were still allowed on icing), as it was Teslak maturing as a goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                Definitely didn't see Copley leaving, he's had 2 good years but just good, not great, I did see him leaving after next year if he had another solid year, but I am betting the loss of Shields really accelerated his departure like the rest of you said.
                There were two factors bigger than Shields departure in Copley leaving. Dollars and cents. Whenever guys leave early fans will speculate in the reasons they left. But in most cases it comes down to one thing. And that's a contract with an NHL organization and a nice signing bonus. From a hockey perspective, Copley, like NMU's Jared Coreau a year ago, would probably have been better served by another year at the NCAA level. But from a financial perspective, there is no guarantee that those same dollars will still be waiting in a year or two. And even if they are, a $65,000 AHL salary next year is a lot more than they'd make in college.
                Last edited by davyd83; 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  There were two factors bigger than Shields departure in Copley leaving. Dollars and cents. Whenever guys leave early fans will speculate in the reasons they left. But in most cases it comes down to one thing. And that's a contract with an NHL organization and a nice signing bonus. From a hockey perspective, Copley, like NMU's Jared Coreau a year ago, would probably have been better served by another year at the NCAA level. But from a financial perspective, there is no guarantee that those same dollars will still be waiting in a year or two. And even if they are, a $65,000 AHL salary next year is a lot more than they'd make in college.
                  You can't really argue with the fact that goalies tend to leave early because they get paid in the pros AND they generally get better coaching because pro teams are allowed to have a paid goalie coach. It's one of the biggest downfalls of the college hockey game in my opinion.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    You can't really argue with the fact that goalies tend to leave early because they get paid in the pros AND they generally get better coaching because pro teams are allowed to have a paid goalie coach. It's one of the biggest downfalls of the college hockey game in my opinion.
                    Shieldsy was a big bonus for the Tech program. Class guy, easy to communicate with and very knowledgeable with NHL credentials. Those types of volunteer assistants don't fall into the laps of the little guys very often. Tech is very lucky to have had him, if only for a couple years. You've got another exUM winner there with Billy Muckalt as well.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: MTU Hockey - Trying to Get Mel Back to the NCAA's Since 1981...

I'm not sure why I feel the need to explain/justify my previous comments further; perhaps my conscience is bothering me...perhaps I'm annoyed to think I was misunderstood. For whatever reason, I'm going to take another shot at this, even with the knowledge that many of you have probably sent me to your 'ignore' list and will never see this.

I've been following college hockey since I was a freshman in high school way back in 1970. Nobody here in Ohio (certainly including me)knew ANYthing about hockey. NObody here played, and in the days before internet and cable, we never even saw it on TV. Lot's of people here in BG thought it was silly to build an ice arena and dump loads of money into a sport nobody cared about. It was a game for those goofy Canadians and snobbish New Englanders. We couldn't possibly compete against traditional powerhouse programs like Michigan, Minnesota, Boston University or Cornell.

"But look" others would say; "the landscape of college hockey is different...LOTS of smaller schools compete with the big boys". Clarkson, RPI, Colorado College and Michigan Tech were examples we'd point to. We had a great run of success here in the 70s and 80s, highlighted by that NC in 84. We were happy to have you come over to the CCHA with the others in 81, sad to see you leave (and take your cup with you) a couple of years later. I had a great time the weekend we spent in Houghton one of those years, met some fine folks and was thoroughly impressed with the spirit, enthusiasm and atmosphere in your building.

Sadly, both of our programs took slides into extended periods of, shall we say; non-relevance. As far as I'm concerned, this only served to strengthen the bond between us. Each year, we have fresh hope that THIS will be the year we return those glory days, or at least take a step toward re-emergence. I've been a regular reader of the forums on USCHO for quite some time, altho I'm not one to post a lot of comments. I make it a point to look at the threads of our upcoming opponents...sort of my own unscientific scouting report...get a feel for where they're at, which players to keep an eye on, what match-ups to look for.

Every school has its passionate followers. Most have a few total jack-holes. Some (at least among those who post) seem to be dominated by the latter, while others come off as sensible folks with genuine knowledge of the game we all love. I have ALWAYS regarded the Tech fans who post here to be among the best of the bunch.

Last weekend's playoff series was some of the most nail-biting and entertaining hockey I've seen in years. BG has been plagued by some inconsistent play at times this year, especially having difficulty holding third period leads. Your guys showed tremendous heart and grit in the third period Friday night, there were several times I feared we were about to cough it up. The final score of Saturday's game is in NO way indicative of the way the game actually went. It had all the feel of a one-goal game, right up to that ENG.

I was shocked and embarrassed by the low fan turnout, especially on Friday. Yes, I know the students were on spring break, and the basketball team was playing in MAC tournament, but fewer than 1000 at a home playoff game? That stinks. At times it seemed like we were playing on the road, particularly due to the presence of your band. I had the opportunity to engage several Tech fans in conversation over the weekend, all were cordial and well informed fans of the game. I even took the time to go over and congratulate the band for bringing some energy to an otherwise empty building.

Now, let me get to the point. After the series was over, I went back to your board to see what you were all saying about the series. I don't think I went there specifically looking for some group genuflect to our superiority, but as I read through the posts, I just kept seeing the same rumbling, grumbling, 'we-suck' comments. I certainly understand that you are feeling frustrated, and are stinging from being eliminated...BUT I would have thought that SOMEONE among you might have at least mentioned (even in passing) that BG played a solid series....and PERHAPS it wasn't so much that you LOST as it was that we WON.

That "drool-bucket" remark really set my teeth on edge, and it all just spun out of control from there. I didn't feel that was called for, and still don't, but in hindsight I wish I had just dropped it there. For the record, I do see a couple of negatives on my reputation from Tech fans regarding this exchange, but also see the exact same number of positives from others among the Tech faithful. This serves to both: renew my faith in your collective sense of fair-play, and relieve me from being overly worried that my original post was poorly worded, and therefore misunderstood.

Please allow me to offer my best wishes on the continued re-birth of your program. I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to meet in MANY meaningful contests over the coming years. In closing, I'd like to quote from one of my favorite films "A Fish Called Wanda".
                      "I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete retraction.
                      The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice.
                      I deeply regret any distress my comments may have caused you or your family.
                      And I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."
                      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Shieldsy was a big bonus for the Tech program. Class guy, easy to communicate with and very knowledgeable with NHL credentials. Those types of volunteer assistants don't fall into the laps of the little guys very often. Tech is very lucky to have had him, if only for a couple years. You've got another exUM winner there with Billy Muckalt as well.
                        Do you disagree that College Hockey rules are flawed in not allowing a 3rd paid assistant?
                        College Basketball allows 3 paid assistants for 13 scholarships and on average what? 15-16 players? College hockey has 18 scholarships and over 20 players dress every game, not to mention as many distinct positions (G, F, C or G, F, D)...it doesn't make sense.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Do you disagree that College Hockey rules are flawed in not allowing a 3rd paid assistant.
                          Or you could fire Damon Whitten and hire a goalie coach.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Or you could fire Damon Whitten and hire a goalie coach.
                            Thank you for the valuable response, really appreciate answering the question.

Comment

I see both sides of the situation. I'm a little surprised that four coaches are needed for basketball, that seems like overkill and they need to reduce that number.

On the hockey side, I understand the handicapping of teams to prevent a school with the financial resources to hire specialized coaches. You'd have a (for example) Michigan with four coaches (Head, Asst., PK/PP, G) versus a Lake State (can barely afford a HC and Asst).

The coaching cap doesn't seem to affect the big schools who routinely make the tournament.

If a school wanted specialized coaches (under the current system) couldn't they hire them on as instructors (ie: PE classes) and they could volunteer for coaching duties?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: MTU Hockey - Trying to Get Mel Back to the NCAA's Since 1981...

Originally posted by Freddie View Post

Please allow me to offer my best wishes on the continued re-birth of your program. I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to meet in MANY meaningful contests over the coming years. In closing, I'd like to quote from one of my favorite films "A Fish Called Wanda".
                                "I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete retraction.
                                The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice.
                                I deeply regret any distress my comments may have caused you or your family.
                                And I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."
                                Well done Freddie, we have a lot of good competitive series to look forward to and I for one am more excited about the future of the WCHA after that down-to-the-wire playoff chase than I was before this season. The animosity on display earlier also, in my view, shouldn't be taken personally but simply as an indication of the passion of Tech fans.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X