Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Bussing from Tech to Huntville would take you through Chicago then down I-65 through Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee before taking the Huntsville exit.
    Thanks, Google Maps.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

LaLonde will be named the head coach of the ECHL Toledo Walleye at 10 am Monday. Not sure why this would be huge for Tech???
      I'm not sure it's huge, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a Tech alum as a head coach to a USHL team when talking to potential recruits. Good for Pat if he gets it.

Bussing from Tech to Huntville would take you through Chicago then down I-65 through Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee before taking the Huntsville exit.
      I wouldn't be surprised to see Mel go through the LP and stop in Ann Arbor to practice. It's Thanksgiving break for the week, and as he said on his show, they'll take their time getting down there with no school.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Thanks, Google Maps.
        Made that drive many times before Google or it's maps ever existed, being from Hancock and living in Birmingham as I mentioned in a prior post. We were even able to plan road trips and get the team bus to the rinks, hotels and restaurants without a GPS!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Made that drive many times before Google or it's maps ever existed, being from Hancock and living in Birmingham as I mentioned in a prior post. We were even able to plan road trips and get the team bus to the rinks, hotels and restaurants without a GPS!
          Why are you so obsessed with chiming in on travel? We don't care.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Why are you so obsessed with chiming in on travel? We don't care.
            Because he got an atlas book from his State Farm agent recently and dammit if he's not going to take advantage of it?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The assistant coach position has been posted officially.
              https://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/1662

Assistant Hockey Coach

Position Information

Position Title
              Assistant Hockey Coach

Department
              General Athletics

Position Type
              Staff

Full-time/ Part-time
              Full-time

Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)

Appointment Term
              12 Month

Pay Type
              Salary Basis

Salary or Hourly Rate
              No Less Than $40,000; Negotiable based on experience

Shift

Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
              No

Title of Position Supervisor
              Head Hockey Coach

Position Summary Information

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Job Description Summary

Michigan Technological University seeks a goal-oriented, charismatic and dedicated assistant hockey coach with a genuine interest in the success of student-athletes and building a winning hockey program. The coach will assist the Head Hockey Coach in overseeing the direction of the varsity hockey program at the NCAA Division I level. Primary duties include: identification and recruitment of quality hockey student-athletes, practice/game preparation, and implementation of coaching principles. Other duties may be assigned by the Head Hockey Coach. The coach works in a collaborative fashion with the Athletic Department and serves in a leadership role to enhance the internal and external visibility and recognition of the Michigan Tech hockey program.

Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)

1. Assist in all aspects of the recruiting program.
              2. Identify and recruit hockey student-athletes on a national and international basis.
              3. Develop and implement hockey practice sessions, to meet needs for individual and team improvement – growth and development from the first year through the fourth year are of highest importance.
              4. Evaluate Michigan Tech and opposing team capabilities to determine game strategy and manage/prepare for competition; determine strategy during games in consultation with Head Hockey Coach.
              5. Enhance and promote the internal and external visibility and recognition of the University and team to alumni, community, campus and off-campus groups.
              6. Actively participate in fund raising activities and alumni activities.
              7. Monitor and promote the academic success of hockey student-athletes.
              8. Represent and act on behalf of the University as directed by the Head Hockey Coach.
              9. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
              10. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.

Required Education (minimum requirements)

• Bachelor’s degree.

Required Experience (minimum requirements)

• Demonstrated recruiting experience with proven networks and relationships in key recruiting areas.
              • Experience coaching at the junior/college level and/or playing at the Division 1 level or higher.

Desirable Education and/or Experience

Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)

• Significant hockey recruiting experience.
              • Demonstrated ability to foster a positive and enthusiastic team attitude.
              • Superior written and oral communication and public relations skills.
              • Mental agility and dedication to ingenuity.
              • Exceptional organizational and administrative skills.
              • Demonstrated strong work ethic.
              • Demonstrated commitment to comply with all NCAA rules and regulations.
              • Demonstrated excellent decision making capabilities.
              • A passion for the success of student-athletes.
              • Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
              • Demonstrated commitment to a culture of safety by having established safety as a key professional value and essential component of daily practice.

Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities

Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills

Work Environment and/or Physical Demands

Work Environment and/or Physical Demands:
              The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.

The work environment is not typical of an office and/or classroom setting.

The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
              None required.

Required Training

Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.

Required University Training:
              • Employee Safety Overview
              • Sexual Harassment Training
              • Annual Data Security Training

Posting Detail Information

Posting Number

Posting Type
              Internal & External Posting

Internal Posting Date

External Posting Date
              05/28/2014

Open Until Filled
              Yes

Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)

Additional Information

Posting Specific Questions

Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
              1.* Do you have a bachelor's degree? •Yes
              •No

2.* Do you have experience coaching at the junior/college level and or playing at the Division 1 level or higher? •Yes
              •No

Applicant Documents

Required Documents 1.Resume
              2.Cover Letter
              Optional Documents

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Because he got an atlas book from his State Farm agent recently and dammit if he's not going to take advantage of it?
                That Rand McNally....****ing genius.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  I'm not sure it's huge, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a Tech alum as a head coach to a USHL team when talking to potential recruits. Good for Pat if he gets it.

He may be a Tech alum, but wasn't he also shown the door by Tech? Pat will advise his players on what each player's best options are. He's a pretty honest, straight forward guy. I don't see him being anti Tech in any way. But I also don't see him pushing a player there if that's not the best option for the player. What's best for his player will come first.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    Required University Training:
                    • Employee Safety Overview
                    Sexual Harassment Training
                    • Annual Data Security Training
                    That must be interesting, considering Tech is an all-male school.
                    BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      I'm glad that you're coming. I think that I might have a jersey for you. In fact, I know that I do.
                      GFM
                      I love the alternate the team brought out for the end of last season.
                      I am also willing to check a second or third bag if necessary for the return flight.

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: Original Seats from John MacInnes Ice Arena Available for Sale - $10 ea (8 left)

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        I am putting up for sale about a dozen of the original gold seats from the John MacInnes Ice Arena. I have run out of space to keep all this stuff so some of it has to go. I have set a reasonable price on them and I am offering them to Tech fans / alumni first before I post in other public areas. They are currently in groups of four and would prefer to sell them that way if possible as it will save me a lot of work. I'm willing to deal on the price if you want a larger quantity of them.

The seats are in the Plymouth, MN area and I am really not interested in shipping them. However I might be willing to deliver them a reasonable distance.
                        info@johnsonsjerseys.net
                        About eight left - holding one arm for Tim. $10 each until they are gone.

QUESTION: You know what goes really well with new siding and a backsplash in the kitchen?
                        ANSWER: JMSIA seats!

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

He may be a Tech alum, but wasn't he also shown the door by Tech? Pat will advise his players on what each player's best options are. He's a pretty honest, straight forward guy. I don't see him being anti Tech in any way. But I also don't see him pushing a player there if that's not the best option for the player. What's best for his player will come first.
                          Jujhar Kharia would not have gone to Tech for the year he did if Ed Dempsey (before he was canned by Prince George) hadn't encouraged him to do so. I suspect Pat had a big hand in getting C.J. Eick to choose Tech as well.

If Pat becomes the next Gamblers coach, of course we can't expect Green Bay to become our farm team . Players ultimately make the final decision on where they want to play, and they'll be getting calls from a lot of different schools. However, the impact of having a junior head coach who is an alum of your program, which is only a 4-4.5 hour drive away, would be a significant leg up in terms of recruiting top talent. Especially if Tech finally turns the corner here and has a winning record next season.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Jujhar Kharia would not have gone to Tech for the year he did if Ed Dempsey (before he was canned by Prince George) hadn't encouraged him to do so. I suspect Pat had a big hand in getting C.J. Eick to choose Tech as well.

If Pat becomes the next Gamblers coach, of course we can't expect Green Bay to become our farm team . Players ultimately make the final decision on where they want to play, and they'll be getting calls from a lot of different schools. However, the impact of having a junior head coach who is an alum of your program, which is only a 4-4.5 hour drive away, would be a significant leg up in terms of recruiting top talent. Especially if Tech finally turns the corner here and has a winning record next season.
                            You're first mistake was you took something that Davy The Fool said seriously.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              You're first mistake was you took something that Davy The Fool said seriously.
                              What did I say that was incorrect? If he feels that Tech provides the best situation for one of his kids, he'll certainly advise in that manner. If he doesn't, then he'll advise otherwise. The success of his program depends on moving kids up and into advantageous situations. He's a pro and he'll provide a very objective point of view for his team. One thing is for certain, the Tech fans sure seem to love him a lot more in Green Bay than they did in Houghton!
                              Last edited by davyd83; 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I suspect Pat had a big hand in getting C.J. Eick to choose Tech as well.
                                He likely had a hand in Barrett Kaib going to NMU from Green Bay as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X