Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Carver Watson, Cooper Watson and Cliff Watson... The jersey guy sees the rare prospect of full names being across the back of the jersey ala the Hillman brothers (Jim and John) at Minnesota in 1993-94. If the maroon and gold causes you to break out in hives, avert your eyes.

MTU alumni, buck up now and donate to the hockey program. Their going to need the money to cover the extra stitch work on the nameplates...
    Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Any early rumors on the coaching search out of Houghton?
      Four years ago we were fan-recruiting for one half of this photo. Where did Cary ever land?

Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Any early rumors on the coaching search out of Houghton?
        Four years ago we were fan-recruiting for one half of this photo. Where did Cary ever land?

Ryan J

He's a head coach in the USHL.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The USHL futures draft is today. And while '98s are kinda far out for MTU, one interesting name popped up. Carver Watson was selected in the 2nd round by Sioux City. I'm pretty sure he's the younger brother of current husky Cliff and future husky Cooper ('96-Waterloo), all defensemen.
          another kid picked in the USHL futures draft by Omaha. Todd Kiilunen from Brighton. i'm guessing he'll be on the radar soon. Another Finn with lots of connections to Tech with family and friends.

interesting note in the USHL entry draft today. Jake Kauppila and Demico Hannoun both selected by the Green Bay Gamblers and Dane Birks selected by the Youngstown Phantoms.
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Birks to Youngstown would make a lot of sense - easy for Pens scouts to keep an eye on him next year, and he learns to play better defense in a more balanced league.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Birks to Youngstown would make a lot of sense - easy for Pens scouts to keep an eye on him next year, and he learns to play better defense in a more balanced league.
              Hannoun and Kauppila to GB makes sense with Mikesch an assistant at GB.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Future Husky, Chris Gerrie won co CJHL Rookie of the Year which is award across the CJHL's 10 junior A hockey leagues including BCHL, AJHL, OJHL...

The co-recipients of the 2014 CJHL Rookie of the Year Award are Jake Walman of the Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL) and Chris Gerrie of the Olds Grizzlys (AJHL).

Jake Walman, Toronto Jr. Canadians, OJHL (43GP, 7G – 26A – 33PTS) - The 17-year old defenceman was one of the biggest surprises on the Jr. Canadiens blueline this season and shot up the NHL scouting radar throughout the course of his rookie OJHL season. His play led him to be named the top-ranked OJHL and CJHL Prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft, as well as most recently being named winner of the OJHL and CJHL Top Prospect Award. Walman recorded 7 goals, 26 assists and 33 points in 43 regular season games played, ranking him second on the club among rearguards. Other highlights of Walman’s impressive rookie campaign included being named a member of Team Canada East for the 2013 World Junior 'A' Challenge and being named to the OJHL South-East Conference All-Star Team that would finish as runner-up at the 2013 Central Canada Cup All-Star Challenge. Walman is committed to Providence College beginning with the 2014-15 Hockey East season.

Chris Gerrie, Olds Grizzlys, AJHL (60GP, 18G – 25A – 53PTS) - Gerrie led all AJHL rookies in goals, assists and points and was second in team scoring with an average of 0.9 points per game. His 19 powerplay assists placed him among the top 3 AJHL scorers. Gerrie was a unanimous choice for the 2013-2014 AJHL All-Rookie team and was named the 2013-2014 AJHL Rookie of the Year. Gerrie made an immediate impact to the Grizzlies' line-up with 27 points in his first 28 games. Gerrie was selected as the Player of the Game five times in his rookie season. During the opening months of his rookie campaign, the 17 year-old committed to Michigan Tech University for the 2016-2017 season.

Each of the 10 leagues in the CJHL submitted a candidate for all of the CJHL National Awards. Each league then ranked their top five players from among the 10 national nominees and the five players with the highest point total moved on as finalists to the final round of voting. The winners were then selected by a second and final point-based vote cast from all 10 leagues.
                He looks like he could be a stud. Of the forwards we have at 0% chance coming in this year, I think he's likely the best. Have to see if he can keep it up and will be interesting to see where he plays next season.
                Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Interesting news on the college hockey recruiting front.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...-by-gentlemans
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

It's probably a safe bet that Tristan Rostagno is on Eaves' list.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      It's probably a safe bet that Tristan Rostagno is on Eaves' list.
                      The only way Tristan leaves is if Mel doesn't appear to be staying long term. I don't see him signing an LOI until Pearson has a renewed contract.

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                        Interesting news on the college hockey recruiting front.
                        http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...-by-gentlemans
                        I don't really have any sympathy for programs that recruit kids they know are not going to stay four years... and then whine when they do exactly what they expected. On the other hand in what other situation is anyone's verbal word a legal decision.

I think as a compromise, they should just let schools sign players earlier and then do away with the unwritten protection of verbal commits.

If you want the kid you sign him and fill a spot. If you think you can get someone better at a later date then you don't sign a player and leave the spot open. You get the risk / reward of ending up with someone less talented or the option to try and snipe an unsigned player from another team at the last minute.

Ryan J

Comment

I don't really have any sympathy for programs that recruit kids they know are not going to stay four years... and then whine when they do exactly what they expected. On the other hand in what other situation is anyone's verbal word a legal decision.

I think as a compromise, they should just let schools sign players earlier and then do away with the unwritten protection of verbal commits.

If you want the kid you sign him and fill a spot. If you think you can get someone better at a later date then you don't sign a player and leave the spot open. You get the risk / reward of ending up with someone less talented or the option to try and snipe an unsigned player from another team at the last minute.

Ryan J
                          that would require the NCAA to make an exception for hockey which isn't likely.

Comment

Funny how it's only the big schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin who are whining about it. I agree with an early signing period, but am not sure if that would happen. You wouldn't see so many schools commiting to players at such young ages that's for sure.

On the recruiting front, looks like Jake Jackson is heading to the Nanaimo Clippers of the BCHL next season.

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                              at Ferris one assistant has 20 years at the D-1 level, the other has NHL Experience. There's a big difference between fan recognition and hockey recognition. The bottom line: most fans, even the "experts," don't know squat.
                              Cam Ellsworth is at Lowell. would love to have him!
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

ok. that discussion was from weeks ago. sorry. I really need to keep up.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X