Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I'm very excited to travel for the road series.
    Get ready to see a revenge sweep....

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Reading from the "fans" on the LSSU thread, I'm bordering on surprise that they had any applicants at all for the HC job. I had no idea how toxic that program had become. D Whitten is going to need the patience of a saint to get anything done.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Reading from the "fans" on the LSSU thread, I'm bordering on surprise that they had any applicants at all for the HC job. I had no idea how toxic that program had become. D Whitten is going to need the patience of a saint to get anything done.
        There are a small group of "fans" who can't get over the fact that Jim Roque was fired and have had almost nothing but negative things to say about the AD and school since then, and there are a few fans who thought the job should have been handed to Joe Shawhan on a platter. A lot of the posts you are seeing is from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          There are a small group of "fans" who can't get over the fact that Jim Roque was fired and have had almost nothing but negative things to say about the AD and school since then, and there are a few fans who thought the job should have been handed to Joe Shawhan on a platter. A lot of the posts you are seeing is from them.
          I really hope they start to pull together in the same direction. We've learned at Tech that it's a huge undertaking to try to build a winning program (although we started out from farther behind than LSSU is in terms of sucking at hockey), and it requires taking on challenging goals and working together (fans, admin, staff, team) to attain them. I have high hopes that we'll be seeing some fruits from our recent investments at Tech as soon as next season in terms of wins and tournament play.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

That whole thread has become quite the soap opera. Makes me wonder what would've happened here if Mel had been passed over for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              That whole thread has become quite the soap opera. Makes me wonder what would've happened here if Mel had been passed over for someone else.
              It just got better. Someone making his first post, as "hockeyace," put up something that was so stupid as to be almost indecipherable, with poor grammar besides. If he starts throwing random periods into the middle of sentences, it can mean only one thing - The Pony is Back!!!

Comment

I'm not worried about Mel being able to find a quality assistant. Besides, now he can further sell the role as a great way to get on the path to excellent head coaching opportunities.

I will admit to perusing the LSSU thread for entertainment. If posters are any indication of the overall fan base, that's one messed up situation. And it goes way back to before the coaching opening. It's like every poster has their favorite former head coach and everyone else is the death of the program. I'm sure that being a D1 head coach is a dream come true for Whitten, but I can't imagine walking into that firestorm. I have a lot of respect for Whitten. There's a reason that Mel kept him on board when he showed up.

Comment

Plus based on some issues that the posters are talking about (declining enrollment, finances, lack of name recognition) it sounds like there are a host of problems at Lake State that go beyond hockey and into academics.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I've been reading that LSSU thread too, quite the situation there, with drama around the AD and her hockey husband, and the upset fans, good luck to them.

Here are some Tech quotes I found on the Whitten hire. Good article on Whitten
                    http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...-by-Lake-State

“He relates to players extremely well,” Michigan Tech coach Mel Pearson said. “He’s a diligent worker, works extremely hard and is very professional on how he does his work. I think he’s going to do a fabulous job there. I think it’s a great hire.”

Whitten’s new team will play host to his old team right away, with games at Sault Ste. Marie during the weekend of Oct. 5. They might also meet again in the WCHA playoffs.......“I hope he wins the majority of his games except for two or four next season,” Pearson said, laughing.

Whitten was an assistant under two coaches at Michigan Tech and coached several Brighton natives there, including Blake Pietila and Reid Sturos, who were Huskies last season.

“He really gets to know the players well,” Sturos said. “Some coaches don’t know how to talk to players, but he does. He has a way to reach players and find out how to get them to learn.

“He was a good coach for us, but I’m happy for him to get the (Lake Superior State) job,” Sturos continued. “I guess it’s a mixed feeling.”

Whitten and his wife will fly to Florida for a working vacation at a convention in Florida.

“I want to touch base with our returning players and call some incoming recruits,” he said. “I didn’t get a chance to talk to the Tech players, so I’d like to call them and thank them for what they did at Tech.”

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                      I'm not worried about Mel being able to find a quality assistant. Besides, now he can further sell the role as a great way to get on the path to excellent head coaching opportunities.

I will admit to perusing the LSSU thread for entertainment. If posters are any indication of the overall fan base, that's one messed up situation. And it goes way back to before the coaching opening. It's like every poster has their favorite former head coach and everyone else is the death of the program. I'm sure that being a D1 head coach is a dream come true for Whitten, but I can't imagine walking into that firestorm. I have a lot of respect for Whitten. There's a reason that Mel kept him on board when he showed up.

The true fans in the Soo have been wanting a change for years and they will support Damon. The Laker thread has turned into a fiasco that I have to admit is quite embarrassing for true Laker fans
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

So back to hockey, who of the following groups gets more playing time next year.

Group 1
                        Heinonen
                        Baltus
                        Vallis

Group 2
                        Gillies
                        L'Esperance
                        E. Anderson

Group 3
                        Blacklock
                        Steman
                        Hietila

Our forward depth should be solid, but will we really carry 2 spare lines.
                        Interested to hear your thoughts on our bottom 6 to start next season.

Comment

It's hard to start guessing that stuff until we know for sure who is coming. Obviously D. Kero is in, taking Copley's spot, and I believe Schuldt has aged out of junior hockey, so he takes Stebner's spot as the big guy. Of the remaining defensemen, Auk would appear to be the most ready, but something tells me that Fillion and Davis are going to stick around for their senior years. Given that neither has shown much so far, perhaps Mel will want a ninth defenseman on the roster regardless.

As for the forwards, I'm guessing L'Esperance is coming because of how long he's been committed, plus he did put up 27 goals and almost 50 pts in the USHL this year, so he looks ready on paper. Blacklock has almost aged out of the BCHL, he could play another year, but it's debatable how beneficial that would be to his development, since he was on pace to be a Top 10-15 scorer when he got injured. Same goes for Evan Anderson. I'm guessing at least one of those two is coming. Steman could be pulled or could use another year. Jake Jackson definitely needs another year. In the BCHL, Hannoun is probably playing another year, and Gillies is probably ready to join the Huskies, but could be held back. Trevor Cope could join the team or play another year of junior.

Comment

I also have confidence that Mel will find the right Whitten replacement. I do wonder if Mel had higher hopes for a goalie coach, and if Dieter was a last resort or not. Obviously the big different is that one position is volunteer and one is paid.

Anyone else read Ellsworth's bio on the UML page and think he'd fit well as a Whitten replacement? He'd be the goalie/defensive coach. Wasn't Whitten the primary USHL recruiter? Cam probably has USHL ties from his time coaching in the USHL.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/coaches....3&path=mhockey

Cam Ellsworth
                            Assistant Coach
                            Phone: 978-934-4978
                            Email: Cameron_Ellsworth@uml.edu

Cam Ellsworth enters his second season on the UMass Lowell hockey staff as an assistant coach. One of the program's primary recruiters, he is also responsible for coaching the River Hawks' goaltenders.

In his first season overseeing the goaltenders, UMass Lowell increased its team save percentage from .896 to .917 and lowered its goals against average from 3.95 to 2.43.

Ellsworth join the River Hawks after three seasons as an assistant coach with the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League. He also adds eight seasons of professional and collegiate experience as a goaltender for Michigan Technological University and several teams in the ECHL.

“We are excited to add Cam to our staff,” Bazin said. “His enthusiasm was evident throughout the interview process.”

“He will draw from his successful athletic career as he mentors our young goaltenders. His coaching experience was spent in one of the premier junior development leagues and he will be a strong addition to the organization.”

While coaching the Musketeers, Ellsworth assisted in all facets of recruiting, including scheduling the trips, player identification and calls. He also coordinated the team’s video analysis and travel itineraries.

“I’m thrilled for the opportunity to join a school with such great history,” said Ellsworth of UMass Lowell. “I’ll be working with two great guys and learning from them as we rebuild the program.”

“I hope to bring all my different experiences together to help each player individually as we build towards a large collective goal.”

Over the last three seasons, Ellsworth has recruited or coached 10 players drafted by the NHL and another 43 who committed to Division I hockey programs. Among the players he coached were former Merrimack College standout Stephane Da Costa and current UMass Lowell sophomore Joe Caveney (Fitchburg, Mass.), who both skated with Sioux City in 2008-09.

Prior to entering the realm of coaching, Ellsworth played for four teams over four seasons in the ECHL: Augusta Lynx, Greenville Grrrowl, Pensacola Ice Pilots and Stockton Thunder.

His best professional season came in 2006-07, backstopping the Thunder to its first playoff appearance in franchise history with 14-13-3 record, 2.62 goals against average and .907 save percentage.

Ellsworth graduated cum laude with a 3.56 grade point average from Michigan Tech with a B.S. in Business Administration in 2005. A four-year letter winner with the Huskies from 2001-05, Ellsworth was a three-time WCHA All-Academic Team member from 2003-05. He ranks as the program’s all-time leader in games played (117) and saves (3,510).

A native of Leamington, Ont., Ellsworth has been married for six years to his wife Julie.

Comment

A Mr. Josh Robinson made 83 saves for the Idaho Steelheads in the longest game in ECHL history, 4 overtimes.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...99/1687/&ihp=1
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                I also have confidence that Mel will find the right Whitten replacement. I do wonder if Mel had higher hopes for a goalie coach, and if Dieter was a last resort or not. Obviously the big different is that one position is volunteer and one is paid.

Anyone else read Ellsworth's bio on the UML page and think he'd fit well as a Whitten replacement? He'd be the goalie/defensive coach. Wasn't Whitten the primary USHL recruiter? Cam probably has USHL ties from his time coaching in the USHL.

Whitten was the primary USHL recruiter. Cam would be a great replacement, but don't expect him to a candidate. That ship sailed when Mel bypassed Cam for an assistant position when he took over at Tech.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X