Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So who replaces him? Shields is in the NHL now, so that ship has sailed, IMO.
    Not necessarily
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Is Cam Ellsworth a possibility?

He'll be at the coaches conference next week, interview him there and get him back to Houghton.
      http://www.ahcahockey.com/conv.php

I do like the Ellsworth/Shields thoughts. May help goalie recruits to have someone on the staff like that, and not have to rely on Dieter as a volunteer coach.

Comment

With Damon going to Lake State maybe Roque wouldn't mind going to Tech. He was a very good assistant coach and his wife is a native to the area.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

While Shields did add solid value for the netminders, keep in mind that your assistant coaches are your primary recruiters. It's their job to keep the pipeline full of talent. As much as I think Shields was good for our goalies, if he isn't the best option to replace DW as a recruiter (Shields may be, I don't know) then we need to look beyond someone who can work with the goalies. Goalie is an important position, but don't hose the rest of the team for 3 players on the roster.

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Not sure of the whole pool of candidates, any great recruiters out there.
            Do we expect any Michigan or Tech former players.
            Is Shelast interested.

I hope Damon does a great job except against us!!!!!!

Comment

Shelast is a young strength & conditioning coach, I doubt he's ready to handle recruiting and on-ice coaching duties, not to mention he was primarily a winger and goalscorer for Tech, and saw almost all of his special teams action on the powerplay. I have to think Mel would look to backfill Whitten's position with a guy who can coach defense and PK.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Shelast is a young strength & conditioning coach, I doubt he's ready to handle recruiting and on-ice coaching duties, not to mention he was primarily a winger and goalscorer for Tech, and saw almost all of his special teams action on the powerplay. I have to think Mel would look to backfill Whitten's position with a guy who can coach defense and PK.
                Russell? This is where the fire breathing defense picture would come handy
                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                  Russell? This is where the fire breathing defense picture would come handy
                  My copy of it is on Ph*tobucket, so that's not going to work even with the "workaround" method. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    My copy of it is on Ph*tobucket, so that's not going to work even with the "workaround" method. :-/

This? Found the blacked out link and saved it to my site.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Classic. Never gets old, in fact.

Comment

Here's the Damon Whitten press conference, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6UGn_ROkeE

It starts about 45 mins in, a few Mel Pearson and Jamie Russell mentions. Best of luck to Damon!

Comment

Well I agree congratulations are in order for coach Whitten.
                          As far as replacing him, I'm sure coach Pearson has made a few inquiry's already. It will be interesting to see who get's the job. I nominate HF.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            As far as replacing him, I'm sure coach Pearson has made a few inquiry's already. It will be interesting to see who get's the job.
                            This I agree with. I'm sure Mel has known about this for at least a few days now, and has started making calls to solicit applications.

Comment

Nice to see people grow and advance under your watch, I hope Mel can replace with an equal candidate.
                              Who wants to help coach the WCHA champions in the next 2 years.

Comment

I'm very excited to travel for the road series.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X