Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Did anyone grab a copy of the schedule while it was posted and can throw it up here, or at least post the dates that have been verified via other schools?

Ryan J
    October 17-18 @ LSSU
    October 24-25 @ Ferris
    October 31-Nov 1 Michigan
    November 7-8 UAA
    November 14-15 @ Bemidji
    November 21-22 Mankato
    November 28-29 @ UAH
    December 12-13 UMD
    December 27-28 GLI
    January 2-3 @ Wisconsin
    January 9-10 @ NMU
    January 16-17 Bowling Green
    January 23-24 Alaska
    January 30-31 UAH
    February 6-7 Bemidji
    February 13-14 @ UAA
    February 27-28 @ Mankato
    March 6-7 NMU
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

We deep-fry our turkeys down here. Y'all come.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

LSSU - Thanks for pasting that up. I wasn't quick enough on the draw to grab it myself.
        Geof - UAH over Thanksgiving actually sounds very attractive to those of us in the Northern US. Get to watch some Southern hockey and avoid the first blizzard of the year at the same time. This is going to get STRONG consideration for my major road trip next season.

Someone posted about the MTU / NMU not being home and home, but I would fully expect that to be changed before the season starts. I think at this time, the schedule in its current form is more about blocking out dates. If nearby teams choose to swap games and make them home and home I am sure that will happen. I can't see either NMU or MTU adding a night's hotel stay to their budget for no good reason.

@ Ferris in late October might be a nice drive trip, but I think the faceoff between Red and Mel in Houghton is a bigger draw for me. Might be the only time we get to see this. @ Bemidji and @ Mankato (AGAIN?!?) will also be on the list as they are short drives for me. As much as I dislike the Bucky Bin in Madison, I might also have to make the trip down there as we should have a good team this year and there is NOTHING better than sticking it to the Badgers in their own building and watching 10,000 fans have nothing to do but sit on their hands and then sing Varsity in a losing effort.

All told, I could easily see myself getting to 8 games next season, maybe even 10 if the free time and travel budget holds out. Very travel friendly schedule for those of us in MN.

Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I can't see either NMU or MTU adding a night's hotel stay to their budget for no good reason.?!?
          I thought the same about LSSU/NMU a few years back, but LSSU did some number crunching, and it was cheaper to spend a night in MQT than drive there twice in the winter.

As a fan, I loved making the drive to see the home/home games and hated when LSSU made the change.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            I thought the same about LSSU/NMU a few years back, but LSSU did some number crunching, and it was cheaper to spend a night in MQT than drive there twice in the winter.
            Maybe if they stayed at the Venture?

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              Ferris State once and Alabama Huntsville twice is also helpful...
              Getting Ferris only once is more than offset by getting Mankato twice. Although, it looks like we get BG only once as well, and at home. It's weird seeing a schedule with the NC games scattered through. I like getting LSSU on the road to start. Get them before the new coach has his systems in place.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                Getting Ferris only once is more than offset by getting Mankato twice. Although, it looks like we get BG only once as well, and at home. It's weird seeing a schedule with the NC games scattered through. I like getting LSSU on the road to start. Get them before the new coach has his systems in place.
                The WCHA schedule is pretty simple when they're at 10 teams. We play NMU 4 times every year the rest rotate through.
                Bowling Green is x4 x2h x4 x2a
                Alabama Huntsville is x2h x4 x2a x4
                Lake Superior St is x4 x2a x4 x2h
                Minnesota St is x2a x4 x2h x4

Those are the 4 possible rotation and there are 2 teams in the conference that fall into each group for Michigan Tech.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  We deep-fry our turkeys down here. Y'all come.

GFM
                  I dunno if I'm allowed to skip Thanksgiving with the family two years in a row for hockey....
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    I dunno if I'm allowed to skip Thanksgiving with the family two years in a row for hockey....
                    I don't know that my parents would be excited about me inviting random Internet people to my tiny townhouse for Thanksgiving. I don't know where I'd put anyone other than the three of us and one more person. /tinyhouseproblems

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Except for Pheonix it's been a mostly quiet offseason so far. This will be something to follow:

Lakers' search for new head coach continues
                      http://www.saultthisweek.com/2014/04...oach-continues

Also said to be part of the application process is Damon Whitten, who has been a Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association assistant coach at Michigan State, Alaska-Anchorage and Michigan Tech.

Comment

No surprise there, given his original application for the UAA job, before the whole debacle of Cobb getting fired. However, I'd be careful if I were LSSU's AD, as I suspect he's got an eye on the Michigan State job opening up in the next five years. NCAA head coach experience would go a long way towards being a top candidate when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          No surprise there, given his original application for the UAA job, before the whole debacle of Cobb getting fired. However, I'd be careful if I were LSSU's AD, as I suspect he's got an eye on the Michigan State job opening up in the next five years. NCAA head coach experience would go a long way towards being a top candidate when the time comes.
                          I think that's the case with any of the top candidates for the LSSU job. And if we're honest there's that little part in the back of all of our minds that wonders if we aren't in the same boat. Now I'm going to suppress that thought immediately and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                            I think that's the case with any of the top candidates for the LSSU job. And if we're honest there's that little part in the back of all of our minds that wonders if we aren't in the same boat. Now I'm going to suppress that thought immediately and move on.
                            See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Comment

My gut is Mel signs a 10 year contract and retires with his best shot at getting Tech another national championship.......

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                                My gut is Mel signs a 10 year contract and retires with his best shot at getting Tech another national championship.......
                                I kinda wish Red had retired this year before Mel has really impressed on paper from a distance. We know he's turning things around but I'd hardly consider the direction on paper a success, would have made it alot harder for the Michigan AD to hire Mel right now.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X