PDA

View Full Version : RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51

hockeymascot
05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
yup, "like a turkey..." indeed.

You might just as well leave it at that!

Brilliant!

Wicked Slappaahs
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
I thought it was a mistake to fire Fridgen. Is Appert in danger? I would think so...along with Donato. I hope Prier has another year...and Pecknold gets fired just because!:p

If memory serves, Fridgen was not fired, i.e. His contract term was up and the Tute went in a different direction. I believe his last term was 2 yrs and at that time there were clearly defined expectations. ..which were not met.

Bottom line- Appert isn't going anywhere for 2014-15. Tute owes him too much dough. Can we please talk about golf or Kate Upton? :))

FreshFish
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Can we please talk about Kate Upton? :))

Did you see the video clip of her photo shoot when weightless?

I posted a link in the Kate Upton thread before it "disappeared."

Aahh, just do a google search" Kate Upton Weightless Bikini" and you'll get multiple versions to choose from!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAWg BZ2pdqqs&ei=sa5rU7nTKbOrsQTGzYGoDw&usg=AFQjCNE9JQO7MwhR94IpfiqW8jmKuuo5hg&bvm=bv.66111022,bs.1,d.cWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CEAQtwIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FWNN%2Fvideo%2Fka te-uptons-weightless-sports-illustrated-shoot-22576293&ei=sa5rU7nTKbOrsQTGzYGoDw&usg=AFQjCNFRgrtJGrwtZmG6w-3UEq_6vQPPdg&bvm=bv.66111022,bs.1,d.cWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newser.com%2Fstory%2F182549%2 Fsi-swimsuit-model-weightless-kate-upton.html&ei=sa5rU7nTKbOrsQTGzYGoDw&usg=AFQjCNHSKhXm9eKeulz_GWeNhZSToyIwJw&bvm=bv.66111022,bs.1,d.cWc

Travel Channel (I kid you not) had a special on the Sports Illustrated photo shoot in which they filmed that session on the plane as well. That was the one and only time I watched that channel.

johnk
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
This is really getting old. Fridgen inherited a very good hockey team and as those players filtered through his program, he ran it into the ground.
I don't think there is much difference between Fridgen and Appert as a bench coach, but Appert has brought in much better talent and played a much more difficult schedule, So comparing wins and losses is not going to be a very good barometer.
It is easy to understand the reasons that some of the fan base are upset with the Appert results, but a Fridgen comparison doesn't hold up.

You are so wrong on so many fronts, starting with Fridgen running the program into the ground, its not worth arguing with you.

Jasma
05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
You are so wrong on so many fronts, starting with Fridgen running the program into the ground, its not worth arguing with you.

Agreed.
On another topic raised here by some posters - Ryan Haggerty is not ready for the NHL. If he was, the Rangers would have played him at some point in the final month just to let him get a taste of the game. He has a very good shot, but needs more time to adapt to the pro game. The two months he had to practice with the big club should give him a leg up on many of the other rookies in camp next fall, but he is going to start in the minors and is likely to be there for a while. He may be a good pro and could even get to the NHL, but he needs time.

Ralph Baer
05-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello, Ralph, I hope you are well. Thanks for your unflagging optimism.

Optimism? Me?

Or do you mean that that the next game is on 104? :)

Ralph Baer
05-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Yup. Even after they gave Seth more money to coach, more money to recruit, lowered the academic standards Fridgen's record is still better. If Shirley gave Fridgen that support the former NHL player would probably have done a lot better than the former second string D1 goalie. Who hires a goalie to run your team. Wow how stupid is that! I agree that goalies in general don't make good coaches but we won a national championship with a pro football player as a coach. You can't generalize.

Senna
05-08-2014, 05:34 PM
And Lundquist reminded the Rangers why they should leave him OFF the playoff roster. Until he figures out what he's supposed to do in his teams end of the ice, street clothes is the uniform for him.

I so glad to hear someone else say the same thing. My son was going on and on about this being the Rangers year....and I was having none of it. They just dont score, and if you dont score you dont win - and Lundquist, for all that gets written about him, is never going to be the guy that wins a cup for you. It just painful and nauseating to watch.

I also agree that I beyond tired of all the *****ing about Appert. He's not going anywhere soon. I'd rather some intelligent discourse on something that we actually have control over, and him staying or going isnt one of them. FWIW, I'm not happy either and find it galling and appalling that, for whatever reason, we just cant seem to play with the desire or intensity that our Capital District rival does. Like a bunch of dopes we **** and moan about them for pages on end when all we really want is to play the way they do - with commitment and intensity and to win. More power to them.

Finally, I really needed that Kate Upton reference. Shed a new light on an otherwise uninspiring day. Also got me thinking about how much I cant wait for a warm 80 degree day here in midtown Manhattan...like going to the zoo and watching all the exotic animals. Thank you for the thought and diversion...

Ralph Baer
05-08-2014, 05:41 PM
I so glad to hear someone else say the same thing. My son was going on and on about this being the Rangers year....and I was having none of it. They just dont score, and if you dont score you dont win - and Lundquist, for all that gets written about him, is never going to be the guy that wins a cup for you. It just painful and nauseating to watch.

I also agree that I beyond tired of all the *****ing about Appert. He's not going anywhere soon. I'd rather some intelligent discourse on something that we actually have control over, and him staying or going isnt one of them. FWIW, I'm not happy either and find it galling and appalling that, for whatever reason, we just cant seem to play with the desire or intensity that our Capital District rival does. Like a bunch of dopes we **** and moan about them for pages on end when all we really want is to play the way they do - with commitment and intensity and to win. More power to them.

Finally, I really needed that Kate Upton reference. Shed a new light on an otherwise uninspiring day. Also got me thinking about how much I cant wait for a warm 80 degree day here in midtown Manhattan...like going to the zoo and watching all the exotic animals. Thank you for the thought and diversion... It hit the high 80s here in DC today. Lots of interesting joggers. (I should have ridden my bike past the beach volleyball courts in West Potomac Park, but I might have gotten into an accident. :) )

Ralph Baer
05-08-2014, 06:04 PM
WaP's first Know Your Enemy of the year http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/know-your-enemy-notre-dame.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter.

FlagDUDE08
05-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Who is Kate Upton? She on the women's team or something?

Ralph Baer
05-09-2014, 01:49 AM
Today is 9 May 2014. There are 148 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

vicious
05-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Who hires a goalie to run your team. Wow how stupid is that!

Shawn Walsh at Maine and Keith Allain at Yale come to mind. Some goalies can coach their teams to national titles. Others....well, "the record speaks for itself."

ServinisScores
05-09-2014, 08:52 PM
An article (http://cornellsun.com/blog/2014/05/06/blue-lines-and-bylines-don-birkmayer-re%ef%ac%82ects/) from the Cornell Sun about RPI alum, former HFH PA announcer, and former editor of the Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter, Don Birkmayer. To those like me who used the IcHN as a way to keep up with hockey before the Internet, it is truly amazing how things have progressed. Thanks to WaP for the link.

Thanks Ralph, that was neat. Would love to know why relocate to Ithaca? :D

jstadts
05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
It hit the high 80s here in DC today. Lots of interesting joggers. (I should have ridden my bike past the beach volleyball courts in West Potomac Park, but I might have gotten into an accident. :) )

Your getting funnier with age ralph!

Ralph Baer
05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks Ralph, that was neat. Would love to know why relocate to Ithaca? :D

My recollection is that his son lives there. (probably a former Cornell student)

Ralph Baer
05-10-2014, 02:42 AM
Today is 10 May 2014. There are 147 days (21 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

DeepRed72
05-10-2014, 08:22 AM
WaP's first Know Your Enemy of the year http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/know-your-enemy-notre-dame.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter.

With all due respect to WaP, we need to stop worrying about everybody else and look internally. I think we should start out with a "Know Thyself" column.

FlagDUDE08
05-10-2014, 09:16 AM
With all due respect to WaP, we need to stop worrying about everybody else and look internally. I think we should start out with a "Know Thyself" column.

You do know that the last installment of the series is "Know Thyself", yes?

engineerhockeyfan
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM

John, this is not an argument, it is a debate. Fridgen took over a very good hockey team and in his first season won the ECAC tournament. In his first few seasons, he brought in some very good recruits. Tapper, Murley, Pothier and others. He had some very good seasons in the late nineties, but still had trouble winning anything. His last two years were awful. The talent was not there and neither were the victories while playing a less than tough schedule. A downward spiral if I ever saw one.
That said, Fridgen was a great guy and his recruits were a credit to RPI (sound familiar?).
Behind the bench, I am not happy with either of these guys, but a change was needed when Appert came in and I believe that he has made the program better.
I really wish he could coach as well as he recruits.