PDA

View Full Version : RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Ralph Baer
04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
And of course his actions and suspension were never mentioned during the ESPN telecasts. Oh well . At this point I'm more worried about the state of RPI hockey and how the school and or Appert plan to get this program going in the right direction.

I agree with that. The most important question is how can RPI improve itself. The Bennett incident appears to be regarded as over by those in power. We will assuredly revisit it many times in the future, at least as long as he coaches Union, but that won't change anything.

Jasma
04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
I agree with that. The most important question is how can RPI improve itself. The Bennett incident appears to be regarded as over by those in power. We will assuredly revisit it many times in the future, at least as long as he coaches Union, but that won't change anything.

Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if the people at the top level of the Institute care if the hockey team returns to respectability or if athletics in general excels.

Ralph Baer
04-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if the people at the top level of the Institute care if the hockey team returns to respectability or if athletics in general excels.

If it affects donations they will. One would also think that success by Union at our expense might be noticed, but maybe not since we are not that really rivals for students, research money, or anything except for space and time in the local media and attention by local residents.

Jasma
04-14-2014, 01:24 PM
If it affects donations they will. One would also think that success by Union at our expense might be noticed, but maybe not since we are not that really rivals for students, research money, or anything except for space and time in the local media and attention by local residents.

How much do hockey fans and alumns donate? I doubt that it is more than a drop in the bucket as compared to total donations. I don't think the top admin at RPI cares that much about local media coverage.

vicious
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree with that. The most important question is how can RPI improve itself.

Agreed. I also think the Union win challenges some of the reasons that have been made for lack of success, i.e., facility, scholarships, academic standards, etc.

engineerhockeyfan
04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Agreed. I also think the Union win challenges some of the reasons that have been made for lack of success, i.e., facility, scholarships, academic standards, etc.

Agreed,
Since we are at least equal on those areas, why aren't we even in the running for the championship.
Over the last several years, we have had players leave early for the professional ranks, and we have had players drafted by the NHL. So why are we so far behind? Talent seems to be coming our way, but they are not putting it together on the ice. Many people are going to blame the coaching staff, and they do have to take some responsibility, but the players themselves have to take some responsibility also. We have gotten used to losing, and it just is no big deal to this team. Someone has to change that mentality. We have to stop being satisfied with mediocrity. JMO

FlagDUDE08
04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Considering Colonel ********* is kissing Union's butt by delivering them the trophy, RPI is doomed to mediocrity with him AND Appert at the helm.

jericho
04-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Considering Colonel ********* is kissing Union's butt by delivering them the trophy, RPI is doomed to mediocrity with him AND Appert at the helm.

You do realize he's on an NCAA commitee, right?

lugnut92
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
You do realize he's on an NCAA commitee, right?

Not only is he on the committee, he's the chair. It is literally his job to give out the trophy.

FlagDUDE08
04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Not only is he on the committee, he's the chair. It is literally his job to give out the trophy.

I highly doubt he would have travelled 1300 miles to give it to the Gophers.

Dutchfan
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM

I don't know what you don't understand about the duties of the tournament committee chair. He would've been there to give it to AIC or RPI had they won.

Waite21
04-14-2014, 08:25 PM

It was his job to give out the trophy immediately at the conclusion of the championship game, at the site where the championship game was played.

He would have given it to the Gophers if they'd won the game and he wouldn't have had to travel one foot farther than the distance he traveled to give it to Union.

FlagDUDE08
04-14-2014, 08:34 PM
It was his job to give out the trophy immediately at the conclusion of the championship game, at the site where the championship game was played.

He would have given it to the Gophers if they'd won the game and he wouldn't have had to travel one foot farther than the distance he traveled to give it to Union.

If he gave it out at the championship, so be it. The article implied that it was given in Schenectady.

RHamilton
04-14-2014, 08:55 PM
If he gave it out at the championship, so be it. The article implied that it was given in Schenectady.

He presented it live on ESPN in primetime at center ice immediately following the game. Even gave some words, too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlEZOMlCUAAWNc5.jpg:large

JCrawford
04-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Why would they wait until the winning team returned home to hand out the championship trophy?

LTsatch
04-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Uh, Bodie carried the trophy off of the bus. http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/27/40/41/6162530/5/628x471.jpg

vizoroo
04-15-2014, 12:38 AM

I thought Knowlton showed a lot of reserve by not dropping the trophy on Bennett's foot or accidentally slapping a player with it.:eek:

Ralph Baer
04-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Today is 15 April 2014. There are 172 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

UFan
04-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Sounds like R. Haggerty and M. Bodie might play together next season : http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/report-rangers-close-to-signing-bodie.html

Jasma
04-15-2014, 08:36 AM

I was referring to those much higher than the AD.