PDA

View Full Version : RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

FreshFish
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I would like a show of hands of everyone that predicted Haggerty wpould score close to 30 goals this year.

How close is "close"? ;)

Red Cloud
03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Did we actually show up for the NCAAs?

Did you?

FreshFish
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
I agree with Red Cloud, opportunities for others, but I wonder if we can either get another scoring stud like this to arise, or we can get more depth and get everyone to chip in a little bit. That remains to be seen. Personally, I'd rather have the latter if we can't have both.

Assuming Kasdorf recovers fully from his injury and regains dominant form, that also can inspire the team in front of him to be more of a cohesive unit and less of a bunch of guys who happen to be skating around on the ice at the same time......

FreshFish
03-12-2014, 04:49 PM
I hope that is does not have to last a lifetime.

When my father was born, it had been 14 years since the Cubs had last won the World Series. He died at 70, and that was 22 years ago. We are still waiting....:(

rjohntute
03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

We didn't show up for the post season in general. With Haggerty gone, I wonder who'll be the focus of our PP.

FreshFish
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Josh Rabbani sure did! Wow, what a hit (http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/template=/altcast_code=1e1a9d827a/ipod=y). If anyone can find that on youtube, please post the link. That would cheer us up mightily! It was a clean open ice hit, shoulder to chest. Just leveled the guy.

Pete Iorizzo:
Josh Rabbani, nicknamed "Rambo," just leveled ND's Brad Nelson along the boards. Nelson is down on the ice, being attended to by a trainer.

Of course, that was sort of like hitting a beehive with a stick, but still..... ;)

DeepRed72
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I'll save us all the time NOBODY !!! That is the point these are kids with raw talent and some have a huge upside and we find out some don't. 2 examples Chace Polacek he was stumbled upon when we recruited Bryan Brutlag I don"t know if anyone else was interested in him or if he was even on scholarship in the beginning but SA whom some here think they know more than him saw something and developed Him into a prolific scorer...now fast forward to Ryan Haggerty a much more visable recruit but as a fast skater and a hard player lets face it his last year on the USNDT in the USHL I believe he scored a grand total of 7 goals and was primaraly used on a checking/energy line and on the PK at RPI SA saw something and this year gave him the opportunity to shine he played on the first line the power play and double shifted in most if not all close games without that 28 goals are not possible. Its scary to think what his senior year would have been but He seized the opportunity to take the next step as a 21 year old that opportunity was not going to be there forever so he did the right thing and we all wish him all the luck in the world. so who is the next big thing who knows but aI have a couple candidates. Mike Zelewski has a huge upside and is already a legit big time D1 player will he takke the next step, I certainly believe Bubela has a huge up side and suspect he had some sort of nagging injury that led to a somewhat indiffernt year but he certainly has talent and Mark Miller kind of reminds me of a young Haggerty who knows but the talent is there we have a good class coming in. So I for one am looking for forward to next year SA is not going anywhere so we all need to get off our high horse and get back to talking about our recruits and who needs to step up and that stuff because accussing the coach of not knowing how to recruit,not developing players and my favorite not making adjustments is just silly 99.9% of the posters on this board wouldn"t know what an on ice adjustment looked like if they got crotch chopped with one. If we have an issue its with consistant effort the coach has said it a 1000 times to the point peaple on this board make fun of him(Engineer Hockey that is coach speak for effort without calling them out in public) but he doesn't run away from it and takes responsibility for it so thats on him but its on them too ! Lets move on !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks once again for your cogent analysis. I recall somewhere after the 20th game this season that I pointed out that Rensselaer seemed to be an average team as evidenced by its performance to date. You replied that if I thought this team wasn't good then I knew nothing about hockey. Well I was wrong. They weren't a .500 team - they were less. So stay in your little bubble and fantasize about how good we will be next year with our coach who sees talent where nobody else does? Dream on.

Red Cloud
03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks once again for your cogent analysis. I recall somewhere after the 20th game this season that I pointed out that Rensselaer seemed to be an average team as evidenced by its performance to date. You replied that if I thought this team wasn't good then I knew nothing about hockey. Well I was wrong. They weren't a .500 team - they were less. So stay in your little bubble and fantasize about how good we will be next year with our coach who sees talent where nobody else does? Dream on.

This guy can claim the opposite all he wants. Nothing will convince me that what happened on Sunday made him anything less than elated the way he talks to people and the way he talks about the team.

Ralph Baer
03-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I certainly believe Bubela has a huge up side and suspect he had some sort of nagging injury that led to a somewhat indiffernt year From a hit by a goon in Albany? ;)

FlagDUDE08
03-12-2014, 05:21 PM
We didn't show up for the post season in general. With Haggerty gone, I wonder who'll be the focus of our PP.

Something tells me Bubs will pull a Helfrich and we'll see that dynamic duo show up again. We already know what they can do, but the sophomore slump caught up to them.

DeepRed72
03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
This guy can claim the opposite all he wants. Nothing will convince me that what happened on Sunday made him anything less than elated the way he talks to people and the way he talks about the team.

Not even the fact that I drove 7 hours round trip on Saturday to watch game 2 vs. Dartmouth?

FlagDUDE08
03-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Not even the fact that I drove 7 hours round trip on Saturday to watch game 2 vs. Dartmouth?

If you aren't "politically correct", it doesn't matter. Plus, RC has a point that Appert is a good public speaker and can sell anything to anyone. What this no-spin zone notes, though, is by bringing attention to that when asked about why we are disappointed with Appert, he is dodging the issue we have, which is specifically his ability to get the players not only fired up for every game, but to make adjustments during a game if Plan A isn't working.

Red Cloud
03-12-2014, 06:51 PM

Such a martyr you are.

NYhockeyguy
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Josh Rabbani sure did! Wow, what a hit (http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/template=/altcast_code=1e1a9d827a/ipod=y). If anyone can find that on youtube, please post the link. That would cheer us up mightily! It was a clean open ice hit, shoulder to chest. Just leveled the guy.

Of course, that was sort of like hitting a beehive with a stick, but still..... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUcAZtRhgeA

ServinisScores
03-12-2014, 08:10 PM
ok, now that everyone's here, and said their piece, how does the the sub-standard culture get fixed? One 2nd place finish in the ECAC regular season (no ECAC final fours since 2001-2002!), one random NCAA bid, and the two top talents abandoning the program before they were ready shouldn't be the measuring stick for success.

Since RPI last showed up in an ECAC final four, other teams have appeared at a final four:

Cornell 8
Colgate 6
Dartmouth 6
Harvard 6
Brown 3
SLU 3
Union 3
Yale 3
Princeton 2
Quinnipiac 2
Clarkson 2
Vermont 1

Since Seth's arrival, RPI is the only team to NOT make a final four appearance - in that span other ECAC teams have appeared:

Cornell 5
Colgate 3
Dartmouth 3
SLU 3
Union 3
Yale 3
Brown 2
Harvard 2
Princeton 2
Quinnipiac 2
Clarkson 1

Is this acceptable?

Ralph Baer
03-12-2014, 08:16 PM
ok, now that everyone's here, and said their piece, how does the the sub-standard culture get fixed? One 2nd place finish in the ECAC regular season (no ECAC final fours since 2001-2002!), one random NCAA bid, and the two top talents abandoning the program before they were ready shouldn't be the measuring stick for success.

Since RPI last showed up in an ECAC final four, other teams have appeared at a final four:

Cornell 8
Colgate 6
Dartmouth 6
Harvard 6
Brown 3
SLU 3
Union 3
Yale 3
Princeton 2
Quinnipiac 2
Clarkson 2
Vermont 1

Since Seth's arrival, RPI is the only team to NOT make a final four appearance - in that span other ECAC teams have appeared:

Cornell 5
Colgate 3
Dartmouth 3
SLU 3
Union 3
Yale 3
Brown 2
Harvard 2
Princeton 2
Quinnipiac 2
Clarkson 1

Is this acceptable?

No. It's also not acceptable that the totals aren't a multiple of 4. Someone was cheating. :p

engineerhockeyfan
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
I'll save us all the time NOBODY !!! That is the point these are kids with raw talent and some have a huge upside and we find out some don't. 2 examples Chace Polacek he was stumbled upon when we recruited Bryan Brutlag I don"t know if anyone else was interested in him or if he was even on scholarship in the beginning but SA whom some here think they know more than him saw something and developed Him into a prolific scorer...now fast forward to Ryan Haggerty a much more visable recruit but as a fast skater and a hard player lets face it his last year on the USNDT in the USHL I believe he scored a grand total of 7 goals and was primaraly used on a checking/energy line and on the PK at RPI SA saw something and this year gave him the opportunity to shine he played on the first line the power play and double shifted in most if not all close games without that 28 goals are not possible. Its scary to think what his senior year would have been but He seized the opportunity to take the next step as a 21 year old that opportunity was not going to be there forever so he did the right thing and we all wish him all the luck in the world. so who is the next big thing who knows but aI have a couple candidates. Mike Zelewski has a huge upside and is already a legit big time D1 player will he takke the next step, I certainly believe Bubela has a huge up side and suspect he had some sort of nagging injury that led to a somewhat indiffernt year but he certainly has talent and Mark Miller kind of reminds me of a young Haggerty who knows but the talent is there we have a good class coming in. So I for one am looking for forward to next year SA is not going anywhere so we all need to get off our high horse and get back to talking about our recruits and who needs to step up and that stuff because accussing the coach of not knowing how to recruit,not developing players and my favorite not making adjustments is just silly 99.9% of the posters on this board wouldn"t know what an on ice adjustment looked like if they got crotch chopped with one. If we have an issue its with consistant effort the coach has said it a 1000 times to the point peaple on this board make fun of him(Engineer Hockey that is coach speak for effort without calling them out in public) but he doesn't run away from it and takes responsibility for it so thats on him but its on them too ! Lets move on !!!!!!!!!!!

You left off Neal. And I believe that if Schroeder scores early, he will be a big surprise. All he lacks is confidence. JMO

fr. joe
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
No. It's also not acceptable that the totals aren't a multiple of 4. Someone was cheating. :p

Or simply offsides. It happens.;) Where's the picture?

Congrats to Ryan Haggerty!

Ralph Baer
03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Or simply offsides. It happens.;) Where's the picture?

Congrats to Ryan Haggerty!

Ryan Who? ;)

Waite21
03-12-2014, 08:42 PM
A year ago, there were posts all over this thread calling for RPI to offer Seth Appert whatever he wanted in the way of a contract extension so that he wouldn't leave and take the Denver job.

Now there are posts all over this thread calling for RPI to fire Appert, and never mind the fact that his contract runs through the rest of the decade because RPI gave him what he wanted in the way of a contract extension last year.

Would you believe that the difference between last year's record and this year's record is three goals?

If RPI had scored one more goal (or allowed one fewer goal) in regulation time in the Nov. 8 game against Cornell, the Dec. 13 game against Denver, and the Feb. 7 game against Yale, they would have had three more wins, two less losses, and one less tie. Instead of 15-16-6, their record would have been 18-14-5 - precisely the same as last year's.

Three goals - the difference between a program clearly on the upswing (which is what some considered RPI to be last year) and a program mired in the depths of a losing culture (which is what some consider RPI to be now).