2014 Women's D-1 National Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Women's D-1 National Tournament

These are the matchups - who is going big, and who is going home, and why? I don't know enough about most of these teams, so would love to hear what their fans have to say about them.

Minnesota vs. Boston University

Cornell vs. Mercyhurst

Clarkson vs. Boston College

Wisconsin vs. Harvard
    Click to visit the official team page for Penn State women's hockey: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...ckey-body.html

Re: 2014 Women's D-1 National Tournament

The 7 and 8 seeds are prohibitive underdogs, they will each have to perform at a level considerably higher than what their results during the season to this point indicate they are capable of or they will be going home.

Clarkson has had a season which led to them being an injury to one of their best players away from a 2 seed. The injury makes this the game of uncertainty in the QF.

Harvard's short bench strategy is unlikely to be successful against Wisconsin.

Just my take, there will be many others I am sure.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

For Cornell, it'll depend on which team shows up. If the porous one shows up, it could be a repeat of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        Harvard's short bench strategy is unlikely to be successful against Wisconsin.

Just my take, there will be many others I am sure.
        I wouldn't put it that way -- the way it'd put it is, "Harvard is unlikely to be successful unless Mary Parker is cleared to play, otherwise her absence leaves the bench short."

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
          I wouldn't put it that way -- the way it'd put it is, "Harvard is unlikely to be successful unless Mary Parker is cleared to play, otherwise her absence leaves the bench short."
          Yes, short in the sense of 9 forwards dressed for the game....you're not not playing a short bench strategically on purpose when you've never had more than 10 forwards playing in any game all year
          Last edited by Watson Rink; 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
            No, with or without Mary Parker, Harvard still has a short bench. Since both Cornell and Yale also had short benches, that wasn't a disadvantage to Harvard.

However, Wisconsin does have a distinct advantage in that department.
            Last edited by Trillium; 03-09-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

BC has had kind of a weird year. It's never felt like the strength of schedule was there, and our losses against bad teams are really concerning.

The only games against teams that are in the tournament field that are not named BU were 2 against Cornell (split and looked pretty good) and Harvard (tie and really exciting game). Neither of those teams give us any idea of how we might or might not hang with Minnesota.

Last year we played and beat every team in the tournament field ranked #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7. So we came in feeling like we could beat anyone. This year it feels like we can lose to anyone. But the games against top teams have been pretty encouraging, especially now that Cornell is somehow 2nd. So I don't really know how to feel.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Last year we played and beat every team in the tournament field ranked #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7. So we came in feeling like we could beat anyone. This year it feels like we can lose to anyone. But the games against top teams have been pretty encouraging, especially now that Cornell is somehow 2nd.
                You played and beat yourself last year? No wonder some of your results are so schizophrenic.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                  No, with or without Mary Parker, Harvard still has a short bench. Since both Cornell and Yale also had short benches, that wasn't a disadvantage to Harvard.

However, Wisconsin does have a distinct advantage in that department.
                  Should Harvard even be in the NCAA tournament? I would think it's an auto win for Wisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                    Should Harvard even be in the NCAA tournament? I would think it's an auto win for Wisco.
                    Let's see, 1-1-1 against #2 Cornell, 1-1 against #3 Clarkson, a tie against #6 BC, 2-0 against #8 BU, for a combined 4-2-2 record against the #2 through #8 teams....

I have to say that in many years on this forum, yours is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen. Of course if you'd like to attempt to rebut, why don't you set forth your reasoning. Here. Now.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Harvard had the league's best goaltender (debatable, but she got the 1st team award) and one of their best players didn't make the trip to the ECAC championship, due to a concussion, I believe. It really showed in Potsdam this weekend and they've had a rough few weeks, although Yale was an improved team in the second half, or more specifically, after the Olympics.

That being said, Harvard sat atop the ECAC for most of the year and definitely deserves their spot. Wisconsin, obviously, is also deserving and I'll admit I've only seen them twice this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game as a defensive fight.
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                        Yale was an improved team in the second half, or more specifically, after the Olympics.
                        Yale was an improved team even before the Olympics. The only games they played after the Olympics were the 3 game play-off set vs Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          Yale was an improved team even before the Olympics. The only games they played after the Olympics were the 3 game play-off set vs Harvard.
                          Mercyhurst should not be invited, they lost the CHA Championship to RIT. I know that RIT cannot participate (on probation as a second year D1 program), don't understand the logic of penalizing RIT just because they are a new program. If a team wins their conference, they deserve to be there.

Comment

Aside from RIT being ineligible, The CHA didn't have an autobid this year (can't get an autobid until your third year as a 6-team conference). Yes, it's all arcane NCAA-wide rules that don't do anyone much good but also don't have anything to do with governance specific to women's hockey so there's not much that can be done about it. Congrats though to Mercyhurst for managing a decade of NCAA bids without the benefit of the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by stanleycup View Post
                              Mercyhurst should not be invited, they lost the CHA Championship to RIT.
                              Yeah using that logic (?) Wisconsin shouldn't be in either because they didn't win their conference. Don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                              X