PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 Edition of My Team Got Screwed by the Selection Committee Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

joecct
03-09-2014, 11:55 AM
9:15 to go.

Warm up band time!

If you're Adrian, Stevens Point, Norwich, Utica, Geneseo, and Trinity - three of you are going to be unhappy tonight. Which three, though?

And here is this year's Selection Bingo

U
S
C
H
O

L25
Pool B
Rankings
d3hky
Win%

Bracketology
COP
Geneseo
ECAC-W
Pool A

Won Tournament
WIAC
UTICA
KRACH
USCHO

Stevens Point
Smoke Filled Room
Pool C
H2H
ECAC-NE

RvR
Norwich
MASCAC
Trinity
SOS

GB Puck Fan
03-09-2014, 12:42 PM
For UWSP and UWEC, maybe it should be titled:
The 2014 Edition of My Team Got Screwed by my conference giving up an automatic bid for questionable reasons thread.
:D

ColdInRomney
03-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I'll say one thing, I used to only look at the USCHO poll and wonder how the crazy decisions were made. I recently checked out the other polls/rankings (NCAA rankings, pairwise, etc.), and the picture gets a lot less "obvious". Good luck all!

vcxc3200
03-09-2014, 02:22 PM
The 2014 Edition of My Team Got Screwed by my conference giving up an automatic bid for questionable reasons thread.

And we have the winner!

KnightsOfTheRound
03-09-2014, 04:04 PM
This post is reserved. :)

Dyce
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
L25 is a bad stat that favors some regular-season over other regular-season games, and uses a tiny sample size in a division where teams only play 25 (or fewer) regular-season games as it is. It shouldn't be a primary criterion at all, let alone one that the NCAA seems to be giving a ridiculous amount of weight. I'm not sure exactly which selection I'll use to lodge this complaint, but I'll definitely find a way to use it somewhere, darnit.

joecct
03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
L25 is a bad stat that favors some regular-season over other regular-season games, and uses a tiny sample size in a division where teams only play 25 (or fewer) regular-season games as it is. It shouldn't be a primary criterion at all, let alone one that the NCAA seems to be giving a ridiculous amount of weight. I'm not sure exactly which selection I'll use to lodge this complaint, but I'll definitely find a way to use it somewhere, darnit.

Mark square U-1 for yourself

Saints17
03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
This entire thread must be what it means when someone has "uptown problems".

Dyce
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Mark square U-1 for yourself

Yessss. Actually, now that I look at it, some Western poster might be able to sweep the U column with a single, relatively concise post.

admiral0417
03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
9:15 to go.

Warm up band time!

If you're Adrian, Stevens Point, Norwich, Utica, Geneseo, and Trinity - three of you are going to be unhappy tonight. Which three, though?

And here is this year's Selection Bingo

U
S
C
H
O

L25
Pool B
Rankings
d3hky
Win%

Bracketology
COP
Geneseo
ECAC-W
Pool A

Won Tournament
WIAC
UTICA
KRACH
USCHO

Stevens Point
Smoke Filled Room
Pool C
H2H
ECAC-NE

RvR
Norwich
MASCAC
Trinity
SOS

Utica has about as much right being on this list as Stonehill !! I think you might want to add Plattsburgh, they will be the 3rd and final Pool C after Adrian & Geneseo.

joecct
03-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Yessss. Actually, now that I look at it, some Western poster might be able to sweep the U column with a single, relatively concise post.

You can't win bingo with one ball. it takes 4 or 5 balls to win.

I forgot to mention that Utica is a free space. Everyone can claim Utica!

UCBadger
03-09-2014, 05:36 PM
But nobody will want to!

VT bragging rights
03-09-2014, 06:09 PM

I like the idea of the L25 and it should carry some weight. There is a saying "What have you done for me lately". The L25 shows if a team is on the rise or is falling down on the stretch run. A team that has a 20-5 record that has lost five games during the course of the season should be given more consideration over a team that loses the final five games. For some teams it may take a portion of the season to jell and get their chemistry together.

Birdwatcher
03-09-2014, 06:11 PM
I like the idea of the L25 and it should carry some weight. There is a saying "What have you done for me lately". The L25 shows if a team is on the rise or is falling down on the stretch run. A team that has a 20-5 record that has lost five games during the course of the season should be given more consideration over a team that loses the final five games. For some teams it may take a portion of the season to jell and get their chemistry together.
It should still take into account who those games were against!!

Hammer
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Fine. If I'm Adrian or SNC I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that my last four regular season games consist of a series each against Northland and Finlandia. Get those four wins, get past the 1st round opponent, and at the absolute worst I'm looking at 6-1 in my L25.

vcxc3200
03-09-2014, 06:32 PM
You can't win bingo with one ball. it takes 4 or 5 balls to win.

What if everyone playing has two or less?

daveo
03-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Precisely!

MountieBoyOz
03-09-2014, 06:43 PM
What if everyone playing has two or less?

Lance Armstrong is playing?

Hammer
03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Lance Armstrong is playing?

John Kruk.

It's two hours from the selection show. What the hell, let's run this straight into the ditch.

Wormser-PointRC
03-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I've already lived this one in 1999-2000. I've already got the shaft lubed up....