PDA

View Full Version : LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

LSSULaker889294
03-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Another 2nd half collapse is in the books. :(

sm2pk
03-09-2014, 07:24 AM
That was a fun season. Go from being a ranked team the entire first half to a has been the second half. Can things get any worse than that ? Oh wait . Next season they will be picked to finish 9th or a possible 10th and will end up 10-15 games under 500 .

Laker54
03-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Here is a video from ESPN last night, after 101 minutes of play/7 OTs Ohio has State Co-Champ. The goalie David Marsh, from Sylvania Northview stopped 80 shots. It will be interesting to see where he ends up playing, he would look good in a Laker uniform.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10576572

It is time to send our/your thoughts to LSSU about the hockey program. IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

MeridianStreet
03-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I was at both games. Result was C.J. Motte 2, Lakers 0. If the Lakers played the second half like they did this weekend, we probably would be playing at the Norris next weekend. They generated many chances and carried the play for large stretches (especially Friday night). Haven't been to Ferris for many years but they have made the best of their low ceiling building.....................nice job with the seamless glass.

As to Roque's future: obviously, a case could be made for a change but whether or not that will happen is unknown at this point. Other factors are in play beyond W/L record. At most schools (especially a small univ. like LSSU), a major coaching change is done with the blessing of the university president. LSSU's AD is not a "hockey person" so whose advice would she seek if a change would be made? Our president is done in June with a new one coming in July. Will a major change be done before that? Doubtful, is my bet.

Bill
03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
I was at both games. Result was C.J. Motte 2, Lakers 0. If the Lakers played the second half like they did this weekend, we probably would be playing at the Norris next weekend. They generated many chances and carried the play for large stretches (especially Friday night). Haven't been to Ferris for many years but they have made the best of their low ceiling building.....................nice job with the seamless glass.

As to Roque's future: obviously, a case could be made for a change but whether or not that will happen is unknown at this point. Other factors are in play beyond W/L record. At most schools (especially a small univ. like LSSU), a major coaching change is done with the blessing of the university president. LSSU's AD is not a "hockey person" so whose advice would she seek if a change would be made? Our president is done in June with a new one coming in July. Will a major change be done before that? Doubtful, is my bet.Did you happen to see Frank Anzalone there? I understand he was seen talking to Doug Laprade before the game, probably discussing old times. I wonder if he was there looking at any Lakers players, Ferris players, or both.

Now would be the logical time to make a coaching change. Yes, the fact that LSSU has a new president coming in July might work in Roque's favor.

sm2pk
03-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Just the attendance at games should be screaming a change is needed.

Lakers2Glory
03-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I have it from several good sources close to Laker Athletics that the only person at LSSU who can make the decision to fire Roque is the President. The AD does not have that power. With LSSU having a "lame duck" president, I would speculate that he will leave that change up to the next LSSU President. That means one more year with Roque.

MeridianStreet
03-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm sure the AD would be involved but as I said the president has the final call.

I heard Frank was there but did not see him. There were quite a few scouts there.................at least, guys who looked like scouts. Leather jackets, notebooks, line charts, etc.

Another impression was that Ferris is good but Mankato is better.

sm2pk
03-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I have it from several good sources close to Laker Athletics that the only person at LSSU who can make the decision to fire Roque is the President. The AD does not have that power. With LSSU having a "lame duck" president, I would speculate that he will leave that change up to the next LSSU President. That means one more year with Roque.

I am not sure the attendance can take another year of Roque.

Lakers2Glory
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm sure the AD would be involved but as I said the president has the final call.

I'm sure the AD and others would be consulted. I just meant the Pres has the final call. Based on the limited action of President McLain in the past on this subject, I doubt he will fire him before he leaves.

sm2pk
03-09-2014, 06:55 PM

I think that is called kicking the can down the road. The present administration know the condition of the program, have given Roque his contracts , know if the program under Roque has gotten anywhere , and understand better if Roque deserves to be kept on than a new guy coming in July. Sacrificing attendance and a new direction for the program just to not to have to make a decision but lay it on a new guy who has no idea of the coach is a bad way to go.

Bill
03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
It is time to send our/your thoughts to LSSU about the hockey program. IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE!!! I'm sending an e-mail to McLain and Dunbar later tonight or tomorrow. I'm working on it now. I have a draft pretty much composed and will give it a little more thought before sending.

Lakerblue
03-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sending an e-mail to McLain and Dunbar later tonight or tomorrow. I'm working on it now. I have a draft pretty much composed and will give it a little more thought before sending.

I sure would like to draft my own letter piggy-backing on Bill's idea. I think some well-worded, polite communication from the fans to the leadership is needed. Its just time for a change.

davyd83
03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Did you happen to see Frank Anzalone there? I understand he was seen talking to Doug Laprade before the game, probably discussing old times. I wonder if he was there looking at any Lakers players, Ferris players, or both.

Now would be the logical time to make a coaching change. Yes, the fact that LSSU has a new president coming in July might work in Roque's favor.
Frank was likely there scouting for Calgary. He could have been talking to LaPrade about Globke or getting his thoughts on some of the Ferris players they have interest in. I've seen him at Bowling Green, Western and a couple other downstate spots.

PerkyforPrez
03-10-2014, 02:51 AM
I sure would like to draft my own letter piggy-backing on Bill's idea. I think some well-worded, polite communication from the fans to the leadership is needed. Its just time for a change.

It's the best thing that we can do i agree 100%.

Bill
03-10-2014, 08:02 AM
I sent my e-mail to McLain and Dunbar this morning.

Laker54
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm sending an e-mail to McLain and Dunbar later tonight or tomorrow. I'm working on it now. I have a draft pretty much composed and will give it a little more thought before sending.

I too have a draft of a letter I started yesterday and will be sending it soon when I have gone over it a couple of more times.

eye4talent
03-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I too have a draft of a letter I started yesterday and will be sending it soon when I have gone over it a couple of more times.

My email to AD Suzanne Sanregret and her boss Les Cook when the Michigan Tech job was open back in April 2011. I did get a nice response from Les.

Hi Les & Suzanne,

Hope all is well in the Copper Country. Just wanted to send a quick note of congratulations to the lady Huskies basketball team as well as a thought or two on the hockey program and the current coaching vacancy.

First off, congratulations to the womenís basketball team. Making it all the way to the national title game is an amazing accomplishment. To see how the team performed and how the community rallied around them in the national spotlight makes one proud to be a Yooper and Michigan Tech Alum. The student athletes on the team have set a good example to the youngsters in the community and to those who watched them what can be achieved through hard work and determination. Iíve no doubt the basketball program will be continue to be successful in the future both on and off the court.

Michigan Tech hockey, unfortunately, is the same team weíve been watching for years. The names and faces change, but the talent and style of play remains the same. Strong, hard working kids with limited skills, dump it out, dump it in, forecheck, backcheck, and then hope the goalie has a good game. The coaches change every so many years, the Husky emblem has changed, the uniform design has changed, the arena has even changed, but the results are always the same. A few wins and a few ties each year and a place near the bottom of the WCHA standings.

Gone are the days of a packed SDC and some competitive, winning hockey that I remember watching as a kid growing up in the Copper Country.

What is the answer to the situation? I believe the whole thinking process and atmosphere around the hockey program must go through a complete metamorphosis. The next coach must be someone with instant credibility who can bring in a coaching staff that can recruit high end talent immediately. Somebody like Mel Pearson. Since John MacInnes retired in 1982, none of the 7 coaches have brought them program anywhere near the prominence it had under his leadership.

Michigan Tech does have some real positives when it comes to the hockey program. They have strong academics, a long hockey tradition, the legacy of John MacInnes, they have exposure every year at the Great Lakes Invitational (GLI), they have a first rate facility, the local area is a hotbed of hockey and from what I understand, they have an active and generous hockey alumni.

Whatís really frustrating is looking at the Top 20 teams in the country this year. Yale, Miami, Merrimack, Union, Western Michigan, Nebraska-Omaha, Bemidji State, Ferris State, and the list goes on. What do all these programs have in common? Except for maybe Yale, none even come close to the tradition of college hockey that Michigan Tech has had over the years. What really hurts is none, except Yale, even had a hockey program at their school while Michigan Tech was winning national championships under John MacInnes.

I fear that Michigan Tech will never return to hockey prominence unless the board and president determine that bringing the program back is a high priority. Iím hopeful that both of you will be given full authority and funding to do whatever it takes to bring in a coach who can get the job done. Iím sure youíre well into your nationwide search by now and are committed to finding the right coach.

I apologize for the lengthy email, but just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions as a Michigan Tech alum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Bill
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I too have a draft of a letter I started yesterday and will be sending it soon when I have gone over it a couple of more times.For those sending letters/e-mail, don't wait too long. Send them soon.

Bill
03-10-2014, 12:25 PM
My email to AD Suzanne Sanregret and her boss Les Cook when the Michigan Tech job was open back in April 2011. I did get a nice response from Les.

Hi Les & Suzanne,

Hope all is well in the Copper Country. Just wanted to send a quick note of congratulations to the lady Huskies basketball team as well as a thought or two on the hockey program and the current coaching vacancy.

First off, congratulations to the womenís basketball team. Making it all the way to the national title game is an amazing accomplishment. To see how the team performed and how the community rallied around them in the national spotlight makes one proud to be a Yooper and Michigan Tech Alum. The student athletes on the team have set a good example to the youngsters in the community and to those who watched them what can be achieved through hard work and determination. Iíve no doubt the basketball program will be continue to be successful in the future both on and off the court.

Michigan Tech hockey, unfortunately, is the same team weíve been watching for years. The names and faces change, but the talent and style of play remains the same. Strong, hard working kids with limited skills, dump it out, dump it in, forecheck, backcheck, and then hope the goalie has a good game. The coaches change every so many years, the Husky emblem has changed, the uniform design has changed, the arena has even changed, but the results are always the same. A few wins and a few ties each year and a place near the bottom of the WCHA standings.

Gone are the days of a packed SDC and some competitive, winning hockey that I remember watching as a kid growing up in the Copper Country.

What is the answer to the situation? I believe the whole thinking process and atmosphere around the hockey program must go through a complete metamorphosis. The next coach must be someone with instant credibility who can bring in a coaching staff that can recruit high end talent immediately. Somebody like Mel Pearson. Since John MacInnes retired in 1982, none of the 7 coaches have brought them program anywhere near the prominence it had under his leadership.

Michigan Tech does have some real positives when it comes to the hockey program. They have strong academics, a long hockey tradition, the legacy of John MacInnes, they have exposure every year at the Great Lakes Invitational (GLI), they have a first rate facility, the local area is a hotbed of hockey and from what I understand, they have an active and generous hockey alumni.

Whatís really frustrating is looking at the Top 20 teams in the country this year. Yale, Miami, Merrimack, Union, Western Michigan, Nebraska-Omaha, Bemidji State, Ferris State, and the list goes on. What do all these programs have in common? Except for maybe Yale, none even come close to the tradition of college hockey that Michigan Tech has had over the years. What really hurts is none, except Yale, even had a hockey program at their school while Michigan Tech was winning national championships under John MacInnes.

I fear that Michigan Tech will never return to hockey prominence unless the board and president determine that bringing the program back is a high priority. Iím hopeful that both of you will be given full authority and funding to do whatever it takes to bring in a coach who can get the job done. Iím sure youíre well into your nationwide search by now and are committed to finding the right coach.

I apologize for the lengthy email, but just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions as a Michigan Tech alum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.Nice letter (e-mail) eye4talent. Thanks for sharing.