This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

How is the coaching search going? Is there talk of increasing $$ into the coach's salary to increase the candidate pool?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      How is the coaching search going? Is there talk of increasing $$ into the coach's salary to increase the candidate pool?
      I haven't heard anything on the $$ side. Perhaps some in the Soo have heard more about that. Application period closes this Friday. I've seen unconfirmed reports that among the applicants so far are Joe Shawhan, Damon Whitten, Tim Christian, John Lafontaine, and Rich Metro. There very likely are others, but those are the only names I've seen mentioned so far. Other names have been mentioned in speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
        I haven't heard anything on the $$ side. Perhaps some in the Soo have heard more about that. Application period closes this Friday. I've seen unconfirmed reports that among the applicants so far are Joe Shawhan, Damon Whitten, Tim Christian, John Lafontaine, and Rich Metro. There very likely are others, but those are the only names I've seen mentioned so far. Other names have been mentioned in speculation.
        Been waiting for close to a month and these 5 lead the way....let's hope not laker fans. Pretty thin.

Comment

Originally posted by MidWestWheels View Post
          Been waiting for close to a month and these 5 lead the way....let's hope not laker fans. Pretty thin.
          Maybe they lead the way, maybe not. Just because those are the names floating around so far around doesn't mean that there aren't others. I think that others have in fact applied, but I haven't heard names. Some other names that have been kicked around on here are probably just speculation about whether they might be interested and apply (i.e possibilities); they may or may not have applied. Even for the 5 mentioned, reports that they have applied aren't confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            LaFontaine is an intriguing name with a solid resume, I wouldnt mind if they gave him a solid look

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
              Any other names being bantered around at the Breakfast Club????
              George Gwoz is taking break from the NHL to come to Soo and look at the Taffey Abel. Gwoz has even mentioned he would donate some of his NHL money towards renovations of the Taffey. Plus he wants to meet Mrs Dunbar and see if she is nicer then Peggy.

Abners is hopping as the patrons are waiting for George Gwoz to make an appearance in the Soo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Maybe they lead the way, maybe not. Just because those are the names floating around so far around doesn't mean that there aren't others. I think that others have in fact applied, but I haven't heard names. Some other names that have been kicked around on here are probably just speculation about whether they might be interested and apply (i.e possibilities); they may or may not have applied. Even for the 5 mentioned, reports that they have applied aren't confirmed.
                More than a dozen people applied for UAH's position, which you have to admit was pretty thankless; I would expect more people to apply to a program with a better pedigree. I'm very happy with Mike Corbett, and I really hope that you get someone of his caliber to lead your program.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                  My email to AD Suzanne Sanregret and her boss Les Cook when the Michigan Tech job was open back in April 2011. I did get a nice response from Les.

Hi Les & Suzanne,

Hope all is well in the Copper Country. Just wanted to send a quick note of congratulations to the lady Huskies basketball team as well as a thought or two on the hockey program and the current coaching vacancy.

First off, congratulations to the women’s basketball team. Making it all the way to the national title game is an amazing accomplishment. To see how the team performed and how the community rallied around them in the national spotlight makes one proud to be a Yooper and Michigan Tech Alum. The student athletes on the team have set a good example to the youngsters in the community and to those who watched them what can be achieved through hard work and determination. I’ve no doubt the basketball program will be continue to be successful in the future both on and off the court.

Michigan Tech hockey, unfortunately, is the same team we’ve been watching for years. The names and faces change, but the talent and style of play remains the same. Strong, hard working kids with limited skills, dump it out, dump it in, forecheck, backcheck, and then hope the goalie has a good game. The coaches change every so many years, the Husky emblem has changed, the uniform design has changed, the arena has even changed, but the results are always the same. A few wins and a few ties each year and a place near the bottom of the WCHA standings.

Gone are the days of a packed SDC and some competitive, winning hockey that I remember watching as a kid growing up in the Copper Country.

What is the answer to the situation? I believe the whole thinking process and atmosphere around the hockey program must go through a complete metamorphosis. The next coach must be someone with instant credibility who can bring in a coaching staff that can recruit high end talent immediately. Somebody like Mel Pearson. Since John MacInnes retired in 1982, none of the 7 coaches have brought them program anywhere near the prominence it had under his leadership.

Michigan Tech does have some real positives when it comes to the hockey program. They have strong academics, a long hockey tradition, the legacy of John MacInnes, they have exposure every year at the Great Lakes Invitational (GLI), they have a first rate facility, the local area is a hotbed of hockey and from what I understand, they have an active and generous hockey alumni.

What’s really frustrating is looking at the Top 20 teams in the country this year. Yale, Miami, Merrimack, Union, Western Michigan, Nebraska-Omaha, Bemidji State, Ferris State, and the list goes on. What do all these programs have in common? Except for maybe Yale, none even come close to the tradition of college hockey that Michigan Tech has had over the years. What really hurts is none, except Yale, even had a hockey program at their school while Michigan Tech was winning national championships under John MacInnes.

I fear that Michigan Tech will never return to hockey prominence unless the board and president determine that bringing the program back is a high priority. I’m hopeful that both of you will be given full authority and funding to do whatever it takes to bring in a coach who can get the job done. I’m sure you’re well into your nationwide search by now and are committed to finding the right coach.

I apologize for the lengthy email, but just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions as a Michigan Tech alum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
                  Wrote my letter.

Comment

Of the names I have heard mentioned the ones I think have the credentials are as follows.
                    Drew Famulak Ferris State University. He is the only legitimate candidate people are talking about that doesn’t have head coaching experience. I think he understands what would be needed here. Joe Shawhan. Great head coaching resume and was part of the best two seasons we had at LSSU in the past 15 years including a trip to Joe Louis Arena. Tim Coughlin St Norberts. 4 National titles as a Division III Coach. No Division I experience but he is a really good candidate from what I've heard.
                    Of the rest, Whitten at MTU needs to land a junior job before getting a Head DI job. Metro has the lowest three year win total in the history of the French team, Villard de Lans, owned by his father in law. Yet to have a winning record.
                    Christian has worked exclusively for Jim Roque and Frank Anzalone. I like him but think he needs to have head coaching experience on his resume. I know little about LaFontaine. Coached Bantam Hockey the last few years at Shattuck St. Mary’s Prep in Minnesota. Would be a big jump. Looking for others to add their research.
                    Last edited by DM2SM; 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                      Of the names I have heard mentioned the ones I think have the credentials are as follows.
                      Drew Famulak Ferris State University. He is the only legitimate candidate people are talking about that doesn’t have head coaching experience. I think he understands what would be needed here. Joe Shawhan. Great head coaching resume. Far superior than Corbett at UAH if you were to compare and was part of the best two seasons we had at LSSU in the past 15 years including a trip to Joe Louis Arena. Tim Coughlin St Norberts. 4 National titles as a Division III Coach. No Division I experience but he is a good candidate.
                      Of the rest, Whitten at MTU has unsuccessfully applied for multiple Division I, USHL, and Division III Head Coaching jobs according to people in Houghton. Needs to land a junior job before getting a Head DI job. Metro is tied to Jim Roque. Has no record to evaluate, or recruiting ties in the U.S. but does have the lowest three year win total in the history of the French team, Villard de Lans, owned by his father in law. Yet to have a winning record.
                      Christian has worked exclusively for Jim Roque and Frank Anzalone. I like him but think he needs to go to juniors and show he can coach. I know little about LaFontaine other than he was let go after one year as the assistant for Scott Borek at LSSU. Coached Bantam Hockey the last few years at Shattuck St. Mary’s Prep in Minnesota. Would be a big jump. Looking for others to add their research.
                      Obviously, Joe Shawhan is the most familiar to most of the LSSU faithful (understandably so). I've known Tim Coughlin since we played against each other and then as fellow recruiters for our respective alma maters John LaFontaine had some success during a 6 year stint as the head coach of the former America West Junior Hockey League's Bozeman Ice Dogs (Junior A -- equivalent in average talent to the current NAHL). Have had some limited personal interaction with John over the years and, although I certainly wouldn't call him more than a professional acquaintance, I would count him as one of the top ten character people I've dealt with in my 25+ years of involvement in the the game from squirts thru AA minor pro. Definitely a legitimate candidate for LSSU.

Comment

Joe Shawhan is the only name I see that probably has all what the Lakers need. A hometown guy with tons of experience at the coaching level and very successful as a coach and a guy with a lot of Division 1 experience as a player and an assistant coach . I have also heard from others that he is also well liked . Before the Roque groupies start their attack, I also thought Roque was a great choice and that the program would rebound under his selection . That just never worked out .

Comment

If Famulak is a candidate I would have him over Shawhan. He also has ties to the program and what they have done in a similar environment at FSU is remarkable. I have also heard Paul Jerrard’s name mentioned as a candidate. Ties to the program, was an assistant coach at LSSU. A pro career and professional experience as an assistant coach. No Head Coaching experience. He seems worth discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                            Obviously, Joe Shawhan is the most familiar to most of the LSSU faithful (understandably so). I've known Tim Coughlin since we played against each other and then as fellow recruiters for our respective alma maters John LaFontaine had some success during a 6 year stint as the head coach of the former America West Junior Hockey League's Bozeman Ice Dogs (Junior A -- equivalent in average talent to the current NAHL). Have had some limited personal interaction with John over the years and, although I certainly wouldn't call him more than a professional acquaintance, I would count him as one of the top ten character people I've dealt with in my 25+ years of involvement in the the game from squirts thru AA minor pro. Definitely a legitimate candidate for LSSU.
                            I wish Jim Roque was coming back for Year 10, cause it would have been the best one yet.

I would list the Top 3 candidates to this point as 1. Shawhan 2. Francis Anzalone 3. Zuke

Comment

Shawhan is the guy I would settle with . We thought Roque who seemed to be a very good recruiter would also be a very good coach but it just didn't turn out that way. Shawhan is a very good coach and I would hate to take a chance with another guy who like Roque seems to be a good recruiter but we have no idea how he would be as a coach as in the guy from Ferris .
                              Last edited by sm2pk; 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Joe Shawhan or Francis Anzalone are sure things!!!

TBA

Comment

Working...
                                X