This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Hey ..... TGIF y'all!!! Are you ready for some Final Five action?!
    http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

Originally posted by michiganmidge View Post
      Listen JNACC ... it's Friday and I'm in a decent mood, however, your hateful tone and snarkiness is bringing me down. I'll do my best to address your issues in a respectful manner. First of all, I'd like to talk about Roque's likeability among players - both past and present. True, you are going to have an occasion guy who doesn't like the coach. But for the most part, Roque is well liked.
      Patently false...I'm sorry but this is just so far removed from the truth that it is laughable...
      Sure, she and the prez made sure that the Lakers had a league to play in, but that NEW league needed to be promoted, advertised, hyped-up, etc. ... basically rolled out to the public that the Lakers were in a fantastic new league! The logos needed to be ordered for the boards, ice, in the arena, on apparel, merchandise, etc. Press releases and advertising needed to be conducted to build excitement about the new league. A big splash should have been made ...
      There were radio spots for Laker Hockey at the beginning of the season...there were no radio spots for any other Laker ahtletic program. We have to then conclude that the A.D. was fully behind the hockey program to the best of its (financial) ability.

In my opinion, the AD is supposed to market all the sports at the university, see to it that they're as competitive as possible, and go to bat for her coaches. I'm not sure that she does this. She has her 'pet favorites' as far as sports and coaches go ..... and she certainly hasn't gone to bat for Roque.
      She sheltered Roque for the better part of 9 years, for that alone she should be canned! There is simply no merit to the rest of your arguements/allegations.

Sorry, JNACC that I didn't give you my case for why Roque should have stayed. I think in my past posts I've talked about his virtues, and at this point, there is NO POINT in beating a dead horse. His contact has not been renewed, time to move on
      We try to move on but you Roque apologists keep coming back to tell us how doomed we are now that St Jimmy is no longer leading the program...glad you finally realize that he is not coming back and that both the program and fans are ready to move on.

Comment

There's a lot of interesting debate. Midge seems to be pretty close to the former coach. I wonder how close. As far as why he wasn't fired a year or two ago, it's likely that it had to do with his contract. If he got canned with a year left, LSSU is probably still on the hook for those dollars. If we can't pay one coach an average contract for this league, how can we pay two? It would appear that his contract expired this season and was not renewed. As for the donor, Midge states he's being investigated for fraud. I would say that decreases the chance that we see that money, or at the very least decreases the amount of the money. A pledge to donate is not a donation until the check clears.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          There's a lot of interesting debate. Midge seems to be pretty close to the former coach. I wonder how close. As far as why he wasn't fired a year or two ago, it's likely that it had to do with his contract. If he got canned with a year left, LSSU is probably still on the hook for those dollars. If we can't pay one coach an average contract for this league, how can we pay two? It would appear that his contract expired this season and was not renewed. As for the donor, Midge states he's being investigated for fraud. I would say that decreases the chance that we see that money, or at the very least decreases the amount of the money. A pledge to donate is not a donation until the check clears.
          This is very possible, and its the scenario in which I see Dunbar could get a pass for keeping Roque too long....the state of the finances being what most of us think they are, if the contract dictated that Roque's salary was guaranteed through the length of the contract regardless of he still held the position, there was really no possible way to let him go and pay another coach. However, it was impossible for the fan base to know if the contract was guaranteed, especially since there was never a clear public statement on how long the contract even was....that was a topic of conversation on this very board multiple times; so it was easy for many of us to get down on Dunbar for keeping him too long.

Assuming JR's entire contract was guaranteed, hopefully the administration will leave themselves more "out" clauses in the contract of the next coach, especially regarding the scenario where the next coach chooses to leave on his own; which, would be a possibility if LSSU were to nab an up and coming candidate like many of us hope is the case. When you really think about it, there was no good reason that JR's contract should have ever been fully guaranteed...in my opinion he did not have nearly the level of success necessary to have that as a demand.

Comment

Could Jim Roque really end up coaching Division 3 hockey at Finlandia Lions?

I hear it is possibile.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
              This is very possible, and its the scenario in which I see Dunbar could get a pass for keeping Roque too long....the state of the finances being what most of us think they are, if the contract dictated that Roque's salary was guaranteed through the length of the contract regardless of he still held the position, there was really no possible way to let him go and pay another coach. However, it was impossible for the fan base to know if the contract was guaranteed, especially since there was never a clear public statement on how long the contract even was....that was a topic of conversation on this very board multiple times; so it was easy for many of us to get down on Dunbar for keeping him too long.

Assuming JR's entire contract was guaranteed, hopefully the administration will leave themselves more "out" clauses in the contract of the next coach, especially regarding the scenario where the next coach chooses to leave on his own; which, would be a possibility if LSSU were to nab an up and coming candidate like many of us hope is the case. When you really think about it, there was no good reason that JR's contract should have ever been fully guaranteed...in my opinion he did not have nearly the level of success necessary to have that as a demand.
              At worst, the contract is guaranteed except in cases of NCAA violations or legal trouble. At best there's a buyout clause. Why would anyone sign a contract if there is no way of enforcing it? As for a new coach, I've heard Tech has clauses in the contract to protect their investment should Pearson leave early. But you may not want to make that deal too iron clad if you're interested in someone who may use it as a stepping stone. The less advantageous the deal for the candidate, the less advantageous the pool of candidates.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                Could Jim Roque really end up coaching Division 3 hockey at Finlandia Lions?

I hear it is possibile.
                Where do you hear that? Unless you've talked to Chris, you don't have anything. Or were you having coffee at the Kaleva and one of the townies who knows someone who knows someone just randomly came to your table while you were enjoying the Panukakku? Either way, Chris plays it pretty close to the vest. The chances you have viable info are slim. I've talked to several in the hockey community there, and no one seems to have any idea who the top candidates are.
                Last edited by davyd83; 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Where do you hear that? Unless you've talked to Chris, you don't have anything. Or were you having coffee at the Kaleva and one of the townies who knows someone who knows someone just randomly came to your table while you were enjoying the Panukakku?
                  Heard they have a team up there that may fit Jim's daughter. Also the wife likes the pasties at Toni's.

Comment

Heard they have a team up there that may fit Jim's daughter. Also the wife likes the pasties at Toni's.
                    So you've got nothing.

Comment

She is from there.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

So you've got nothing.
                        You know that Greek guy?

Comment

• Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                          She is from there.
                          That is fact. So is the rest of her family.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 03-21-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

That is fact.
                            Is she homesick?

Comment

You know that Greek guy?
                              He's Italian.

Comment

He's Italian.
                                He will feel like he's at home then.

Comment

Working...
                                X