This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

I don't claim to know much about the current situation of Lake State hockey, but I grew up watching some very good, no great, Laker teams when they would make the trip to Big Rapids. If it could be done in the 80's and 90's, I would think it could be done now. If Ferris could ever produce 1/2 of what Lake State has done in hockey I would be proud for life. It has to be frustrating to watch a team that often is loaded with talent not get it done year after year.

The WCHA needs a strong Laker team and you should expect a strong commitment from the university.

Comment

Originally posted by golfhawkins View Post
      The WCHA needs a strong Laker team and you should expect a strong commitment from the university.
      Good luck with that. University has its own long list of issues to deal with. Committing to Laker Hockey is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
        Good luck with that. University has its own long list of issues to deal with. Committing to Laker Hockey is not one of them.
        In the 80's and early 90's, Lake State was a fun school to attend. That is no longer.

Lake State's budget in the 80's and 90's was always in top half of budgets in the CCHA.

Lake State's enrollment in the late 80's and 90's was 3000 and not 2100(seeking a four year degree) like the current enrollment. The one thing Lake State has going for them is they don't have high admission standards.

Bud Cooper was the AD and he was a champion in positioning Lake State in the CCHA. Bud had respect amongst his peers.

There are NCAA rules in place now pertaining to many of the things that Frank Anzalone did as a coach. The NCAA made rules like these to prevent coaches like him from harassing and abusing players. The rules were in place before he came around the second time. It is against NCAA rules to get your players off the bus after a road trip and skate them.

People in the Sault are never going to come out to see the likes of Mankato and Bemidji like they did for Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. The CCHA was prestigious. The WCHA is no longer prestigious. That ship has sailed.

There are probably 300 plus Full scholarships available to play Division 1 hockey that were not available to hockey players in the late 80's and early 90's. Penn State, All the MIAC schools, Conneticut, etc and all the Ivy League Schools that give full financial aid packages now just as if they are scholarships because their endowments are so large. More people fighting over a small pool of athletes. A kid who got a half ride at Lake State in the 80's is now going to Canisius on a full ride. Not to mention private schools have other scholarships available via endowment that Lake State doesn't have because Lake State lives off of tuition and has a non-existent endowment.

5 presidents in 12 years and who hires a superintendent to lead a university. 5 years ago Lake State hired a retired Superintendent from the local school district(with no college administration experience) as an interim president. For some reason, the board decided to keep him for 5 years despite the fact that they gave him year to year contracts. He made several controversial moves at the Sault Schools and many locals turned on him when he was superintendent. The Sault school's enrollment went down under his direction b/c many kids transferred out to private and charter schools. First president at Lake State to never give the employees a raise during his presidency. Losing state accredidation in some teaching certifications. Enrollment going down.....and last year the Higher Learning Commission only giving the school a 5 year reaccrediation instead of a 10 year. HLC accrediation is not difficult, that is need for concern. What a legacy to leave.....

The town's population is aging. Many residents are over 60. Many living on fixed incomes. The City of Sault Sainte Marie needs a reawakening. I heard the city was going belly up on the parking structure they built that they can't afford the payments for. Sounds like the Fine Arts Center(no fine arts degrees at Lake State) that Lake State built that they coudn't afford. And now the School of Business Building that they have not been able to raise $3 million for. Maybe Rick Sndyer can send in some emergency managers.....

Comment

I find it interesting that those posters who are obviously upset that Roque's contract was not renewed have come on here to criticize Dunbar, complain about the schools finances, and even the city's finances, but they have said nothing about why they think Roque is a good coach and should have received a new contract. It seems to be all about blaming someone or something else for the lack of the teams' success. They evidently feel that Roque as head coach bears no responsibility for that lack of success. I think most of us agree that he has a good eye for talent, but that skill is just as suitable, if not more so, for an assistant coach. The head coach still has to develop and mold that talent as a team and that hasn't happened. Some have said that no one else could have done any better than Roque, but that is just an argument without an argument.

Comment

I thought hockey this season was not hockey of the past. The Big Ten with six teams is boring as hell and the new NCHC is a bunch of wannabes who thought losing the Big Ten teams made it their drive to produce some kind of super league by special invite to the league. I am glad the east teams stay the same for the most part .

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
              People in the Sault are never going to come out to see the likes of Mankato and Bemidji like they did for Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. The CCHA was prestigious. The WCHA is no longer prestigious.
              Sorry to interrupt on your thread, and I'm in no position to comment on most of the issues you're discussing, but on this point about attendance, I strongly disagree. You start from the premise that anyone is "going to come out to see the likes of" your opponent. They're going to come out to see you. If you're winning, that is. If not, "prestigious" doesn't amount to anything.

Our experience in Mankato over the last few years was this - In 2011, the last time "prestigious" Colorado College came to town, we had a crowd of 5017 for the 2 nights combined. "Prestigious" Denver drew 6683 on their last WCHA visit to Mankato in 2012. Meanwhile "unprestigious" (if that's a word, and I use it nicely!) Huntsville drew 7014 this year, Tech drew 7496, and Ferris 8271. The difference? Now we're good. Those games meant something, and promised the crowd an entertaining evening. The last time those other schools came to Mankato, we weren't good, and the games were meaningless from a conference or NCAA perspective.

If you're counting on the opponent boosting your gate, you're in trouble. Other than the Chicago Cubs, I can't think of a consistent loser in sports who does well attendance-wise, and they only draw well because you can get drunk AND get a tan at the same time. Turn your program around (and I hope you do - I happen to like the nWCHA as it is), and even Mankato might draw well in the Sault.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Sorry to interrupt on your thread, and I'm in no position to comment on most of the issues you're discussing, but on this point about attendance, I strongly disagree. You start from the premise that anyone is "going to come out to see the likes of" your opponent. They're going to come out to see you. If you're winning, that is. If not, "prestigious" doesn't amount to anything.

Our experience in Mankato over the last few years was this - In 2011, the last time "prestigious" Colorado College came to town, we had a crowd of 5017 for the 2 nights combined. "Prestigious" Denver drew 6683 on their last WCHA visit to Mankato in 2012. Meanwhile "unprestigious" (if that's a word, and I use it nicely!) Huntsville drew 7014 this year, Tech drew 7496, and Ferris 8271. The difference? Now we're good. Those games meant something, and promised the crowd an entertaining evening. The last time those other schools came to Mankato, we weren't good, and the games were meaningless from a conference or NCAA perspective.

If you're counting on the opponent boosting your gate, you're in trouble. Other than the Chicago Cubs, I can't think of a consistent loser in sports who does well attendance-wise, and they only draw well because you can get drunk AND get a tan at the same time. Turn your program around (and I hope you do - I happen to like the nWCHA as it is), and even Mankato might draw well in the Sault.

Win and they will come. Good post Thank You.
                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Perrault signs deal with Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL.

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...Perrault-Idaho
                  LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

They're going to come out to see you. If you're winning, that is. If not, "prestigious" doesn't amount to anything.
                    but according to USCHO stats, mankato's avg. attendance took a modest drop this year: 3447 this year vs. 3655 last year.
                    BG took a bigger hit, and the team was improved and part of the exciting conference finish. we weren't alone either. from what I can see, the only team with a real increase was bemidji. maybe ferris could've drawn more with their winning team, but they're capped by arena size so we'll never know.
                    I like the nWCHA too, but attendance is a real worry.

pardon the interruption, laker fans... hope ya'll get the coach you want.
                    Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

We took a hit for one reason - No Gopher home games, which last year amounted to 2 games of 5000+ (over-capacity, don't tell the fire marshal) crowds. One of the largest universities in the nation, located just over an hour away, and with likely as many alumni in Mankato as there are MSU alumni. Them, I would like back on the schedule, for both monetary and hockey reasons! The rest of those who left? Hey, it was fun, but now it's over.

Comment

We took a hit for one reason - No Gopher home games, which last year amounted to 2 games of 5000+ (over-capacity, don't tell the fire marshal) crowds. One of the largest universities in the nation, located just over an hour away, and with likely as many alumni in Mankato as there are MSU alumni. Them, I would like back on the schedule, for both monetary and hockey reasons! The rest of those who left? Hey, it was fun, but now it's over.
                        And, in my haste to reply, I forgot - We were pretty good last year, too, making the NCAA tournament. Our attendance this year was up 250 a game from 2011-2012, when we sucked.

Comment

so we're all in the same boat. we took a hit for losing U of M, Sparty, Miami, Western, and Notre Dame. all within 2.5 hrs., and all with traveling fans. We've still got a home and home with OSU, but this year it was a tuesday night during football season, bah.
                          those visiting fans from nearby schools really help the bottom line. that's the biggest suck about the nWCHA.
                          theoretically winning will help, but it's gonna take a lot of winning to make up the difference.
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                            so we're all in the same boat. we took a hit for losing U of M, Sparty, Miami, Western, and Notre Dame. all within 2.5 hrs., and all with traveling fans. We've still got a home and home with OSU, but this year it was a tuesday night during football season, bah.
                            those visiting fans from nearby schools really help the bottom line. that's the biggest suck about the nWCHA.
                            theoretically winning will help, but it's gonna take a lot of winning to make up the difference.
                            OK, last post, since this ain't my team's thread - Now, when you talk distance (2.5 hr. drive) you're talking something entirely different than the original post about the nWCHA not being as "prestigious" as the CCHA. And "close" has to be within a decent drive to make a difference. Otherwise, you're adding hotel expenses, winter road conditions, etc. But with LSSU, they actually added an opponent relatively close (Tech), while losing only non-driving ones.
                            I'm sorry but the "prestigious" point the other poster made sorta bugged me. We heard it a lot in the last couple years from Wisconsin fans, who tried to blame their declining attendance on all these "lesser WCHA teams," like Mankato and Bemidji. It was a bunch of bunk then, and it is in this situation as well. Win games, people show. Don't win games, people don't. For LSSU, they'd endured several years of not winning, and so naturally, attendance declined. It seems like it was time for them to do something about that. Maybe a new coach can bring the wins - and the people- back.

Comment

OK, last post, since this ain't my team's thread - Now, when you talk distance (2.5 hr. drive) you're talking something entirely different than the original post about the nWCHA not being as "prestigious" as the CCHA. And "close" has to be within a decent drive to make a difference. Otherwise, you're adding hotel expenses, winter road conditions, etc. But with LSSU, they actually added an opponent relatively close (Tech), while losing only non-driving ones.
                              I'm sorry but the "prestigious" point the other poster made sorta bugged me. We heard it a lot in the last couple years from Wisconsin fans, who tried to blame their declining attendance on all these "lesser WCHA teams," like Mankato and Bemidji. It was a bunch of bunk then, and it is in this situation as well. Win games, people show. Don't win games, people don't. For LSSU, they'd endured several years of not winning, and so naturally, attendance declined. It seems like it was time for them to do something about that. Maybe a new coach can bring the wins - and the people- back.
                              Tech is 5 hours from the Soo. It's actually about the same drive time as Michigan State.
                              Last edited by davyd83; 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                I find it interesting that those posters who are obviously upset that Roque's contract was not renewed have come on here to criticize Dunbar, complain about the schools finances, and even the city's finances, but they have said nothing about why they think Roque is a good coach and should have received a new contract. It seems to be all about blaming someone or something else for the lack of the teams' success. They evidently feel that Roque as head coach bears no responsibility for that lack of success. I think most of us agree that he has a good eye for talent, but that skill is just as suitable, if not more so, for an assistant coach. The head coach still has to develop and mold that talent as a team and that hasn't happened. Some have said that no one else could have done any better than Roque, but that is just an argument without an argument.
                                Roque has a successful track record for taking no name recruits who were not on anyone's radar until after a couple years of learning and development with his system; and he's turned these no name recruits into free agent prospects with only the help of a part-time staff. No one else in the WCHA is as understaffed as Lake State. Bear in mind, Lake State just doesn't have the depth to replace players and reload. His players do very well in the classroom, are respectful and respected, and they graduate on time.

Bill, just curious, where did you play hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X