X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Ah, so now you're cherry picking your stats to try and cover up the fact that what you said about enrollment being at an all time low was false. LSSC/LSSU was a 4 year school before I ever attended. I'm well aware it started off as a 2 year school and remained that way for almost half it's existence.
    Not cherry picking. Speaking of the last 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
      Look not to get completely off track, but the teacher program not offering History, Sociology, Gov't ect ect is a plus in my books as the teacher market is entirely saturated with candidates holding those endorsements and a recent grad would find it extremely difficult in finding a teaching position. It is far better to grant endorsements in the hard sciences and math as those students will quickly gain employment. So in effect Lake State is doing it right, even though they may have "lost" those liberal arts endorsements.
      Difficult to understand your meaning when you clearly stated that the teacher program lost its endorsement entirely...when it clearly did not.
      Teacher Education at LSSU is tanking in general. One should seek out a program at Central, Western or Northern if getting a teaching degree. Not Lake State.

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
        Not cherry picking. Speaking of the last 15 years.
        You specifically said it was at an all time low, not just a low for the past 15 years.

You might as well give it up. Roque's contract wasn't renewed and he's not coming back.

Comment

The school catalog from 2006-2009 has Joe Shawhan listed as having a Bachelors of Science. Two Associate degrees do not magically equal a bachelors degree in the school catalog where professors proudly state their credentials that they earned. That is considered fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
            You must have been at Lake State when it was LSSC, essentially a community college. My comments were directed at the past 15 years, which includes 4 different administrations. There has been a steady decline in the enrollment, and the financial picture on the hill has never looked as bleak.

These are the actual comments from the administration made in June 2013 to the campus community:
            "I believe the most important issue facing LSSU at this time is financial. For the past ten to fifteen years, LSSU has failed to successfully stabilize institutional finances and that failing continues to stifle us today. Repeated cuts in state funding and declining student enrollments have caused us to be reactive rather than proactive. Although our cash flow from year to year has been sufficient to cover basic costs, we have not had the resources that are necessary in order to pursue major projects, fund new strategic initiatives, and appropriately reward our employees.

The most significant source of revenue for LSSU is tuition, and our number one strategic initiative is to increase enrollment in order to increase tuition revenue. Even though several actions have been taken to address enrollment, none of them have addressed the issue from the perspective of clarifying our institutional identity and character. That is, none of the initiatives have required the participation of the entire campus and none of them have the potential to truly transform LSSU; resulting in a unique campus environment, making maximum use of our local resources, and thereby positioning LSSU for future growth and long-term stability."
            No identity = No students = no money = no raises= no morale + limited fundraising = current state of LSSU = 100% dependent on student tuition to pay the bills.

The foundation has been raising $3 million dollars for the School of Business for at least 3 years and last I heard they still were short a million.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
              The school catalog from 2006-2009 has Joe Shawhan listed as having a Bachelors of Science. Two Associate degrees do not magically equal a bachelors degree in the school catalog where professors proudly state their credentials that they earned. That is considered fraud.
              Last time I'm going around with Roque wanabes and fanclub members.....do you think that Crawford/Dunbar and Roque were unaware as to what Shawhan possessed? His firing had nothing to due with him lying or fraud but everything to do with JimBo's insecurities becaue he knew that Shawhan was more capable than he was to lead the Lakers. It was as simple as that. For all the arrogance that Roque exude, deep down he knew he was nothing but straw and like a little bully he would lash out at what he perceived to be threats....as Bill stated, Roque is now gone, he was fired and he's not coming back.

This is a Lake Superior State Hockey thread. To those who think the program and the school are doomed, your opinion has been noted. Sorry if we do not share your pessimism but it's time you moved on because just like little man Jimbo Roque, we fans don't need the likes of you around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Roque's contract wasn't renewed and he's not coming back.
                Yup and it wasn't the first time Roque has been fired. Jeff Jackson fired Roque when he was an assistant coach in 1995.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  You specifically said it was at an all time low, not just a low for the past 15 years.

You might as well give it up. Roque's contract wasn't renewed and he's not coming back.
                  Semantics! The problems are still there, and a coaching change isn't going to fix them!

Comment

Has anyone heard how the players feel about Roque and a new coach coming in ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      I think they were expecting that he would be fired. At least many of the the upperclassmen were; maybe the freshmen weren't sure.

Comment

I also sent Dunbar an e-mail but mine was about how dead the rink is during games and how the students seem like they are at a library and a library is not a very exciting place to cheer at.

Comment

I also sent Dunbar an e-mail but mine was about how dead the rink is during games and how the students seem like they are at a library and a library is not a very exciting place to cheer at.
                          That's because she single-handedly killed school spirit and ran no promotions or advertising this season. THIS is the future of Laker Hockey, unless there's a change made at the top!
                          http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

They aren't happy, that much is for sure.

Comment

michiganmidge, I would think even the players knew a change was needed.

Comment

Interesting. Just read this on the Facebook page entitled 'Believe in Laker Hockey'. It was posted by an LSSU alum:

"For all you Laker Fans and Supporters...I went to school with Kris Bullock. She despised hockey then and refused to attend games even though she dated M. Astley for three years. He would go to her games but she would not attend his games. The results of the poor choice for the leadership positions at LSSU are starting to show....this school has a major decision it has to make in the next year...if you are going to have an university, university size buildings, university size programs then u better have a enough students that can make it a go and leadership that has balls to lead."

This person went on to say:
                                "Last comment....search LSSU.edu website and input the search string audited financials and you will see something pretty amazing....Here is a tidbit to water your search....LSSU outstanding debt exceeds $25,000,000.00 at the end of 2012...Not sure how this school can survive this type of debt with 3,000 or less students each year...."

Finally, this person posted an interesting link:
                                Here is the linkhttps://www.lssu.edu/busoff/documents/AnnualFR-11.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X