Spring Break AA/EL 2014!!! MSU-UM 3/7-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Break AA/EL 2014!!! MSU-UM 3/7-8

We're coming down to the home stretch of the first ever Big Ten hockey season, with just four games remaining for all teams and seeds 2-5 still not entirely settled. Due to the incredible Big Ten scheduling, these two rivals will faceoff with both student bodies gone on Spring Break, which means there will most likely be atmosphere lacking (though this season MSU has played UM better in dead environments).

In last weekend's action the Wolverines took 4 of 6 from OSU, losing in a shootout Friday while taking three points Sunday at Nationwide in Columbus.
    The Spartans lost in OT to some highly skilled high schoolers 4-3.

Both teams find themselves in a tough spot as far as the standings are concerned. OSU and Wisconsin each have Penn State left, and since the Nittany Lions have only picked up points against teams from Michigan, let's assume a six point bump for both teams leaving the following situation.

UW- 37 pts with 2 at MSU
    OSU- 28 pts with 2 at MN
    UM- 27 pts with 2 vs MSU, 2 vs MN
    MSU- 19 pts with 2 vs UM, 2 vs UW

With this scenario, both teams need a sweep this weekend to even have a shot at their seed. It's probably not too likely the way the Gophers are playing to expect OSU to come out of Minneapolis with anything more than 2 points, so UM could get by with a split this weekend for 3rd, but they really want that 2nd seed for the bye, in which case they need a sweep and then help from MSU against the Badgers, and need to take care of business at Yost against Minny. For the Spartans, they've locked themselves into playing the first day but with some help from the Gophers both weekends could end up with the third seed against PSU. Most likely we'll be lucky to get five points over the next two weeks, so we'll probably end up with a five seed playing OSU like everyone predicted since last season ended.
    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: Spring Break AA/EL 2014!!! MSU-UM 3/7-8

Typically the Michigan vs. Michigan State weekend is a big weekend. Has everyone lost interest in this season, or is everyone on Spring Break?
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      We're coming down to the home stretch of the first ever Big Ten hockey season, with just four games remaining for all teams and seeds 2-5 still not entirely settled. Due to the incredible Big Ten scheduling, these two rivals will faceoff with both student bodies gone on Spring Break, which means there will most likely be atmosphere lacking (though this season MSU has played UM better in dead environments).

In last weekend's action the Wolverines took 4 of 6 from OSU, losing in a shootout Friday while taking three points Sunday at Nationwide in Columbus.
      The Spartans lost in OT to some highly skilled high schoolers 4-3.

Both teams find themselves in a tough spot as far as the standings are concerned. OSU and Wisconsin each have Penn State left, and since the Nittany Lions have only picked up points against teams from Michigan, let's assume a six point bump for both teams leaving the following situation.

UW- 37 pts with 2 at MSU
      OSU- 28 pts with 2 at MN
      UM- 27 pts with 2 vs MSU, 2 vs MN
      MSU- 19 pts with 2 vs UM, 2 vs UW

With this scenario, both teams need a sweep this weekend to even have a shot at their seed. It's probably not too likely the way the Gophers are playing to expect OSU to come out of Minneapolis with anything more than 2 points, so UM could get by with a split this weekend for 3rd, but they really want that 2nd seed for the bye, in which case they need a sweep and then help from MSU against the Badgers, and need to take care of business at Yost against Minny. For the Spartans, they've locked themselves into playing the first day but with some help from the Gophers both weekends could end up with the third seed against PSU. Most likely we'll be lucky to get five points over the next two weeks, so we'll probably end up with a five seed playing OSU like everyone predicted since last season ended.
      Not to be sour grapes or anything, but I would not say that the PSU games are easy wins- while they tanked the one game against Minny- they held the second one really close, challenging right up until the end. So I think it's possible that OSU and UW may drop a point or two against the greatly improving Nitany Lions.

But the possible scenarios beyond that are pretty numerous. I'd like to think that it's possible that we can take all 12 points that are available to us. But with the consistency we are showing, I don't see that happening.

Focusing on this weekend, could we see some better play out of both teams since this is the one true rivalry that each team has in the B1G? It was funny a few years ago (or was it last year)- both teams were so bad that they managed to make the other team look good. oops.

Michigan certainly has the players who can beat anyone. Sadly, we have a team that can be beaten by anyone, too..... So I have no real idea what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Typically the Michigan vs. Michigan State weekend is a big weekend. Has everyone lost interest in this season, or is everyone on Spring Break?
        This thread title looks like the spam titles that have been frequenting this site. Looks like spam, so no one opens? Just a thought.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          This thread title looks like the spam titles that have been frequenting this site. Looks like spam, so no one opens? Just a thought.
          Could be. But there's also about three MSU fans left and I started this around 10 on a Monday so it wasn't a high traffic time.

I think Frozen Friday has been bumped for the Women's BTT, so Friday's game will be shown on Comcast 900 which I don't have.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

OK I'm heartened by a degree by the fact MSU managed to overcome a first period where it seemed they didn't know what hit them (they later found out that Eichel hit them ... I think a lot of programs will feel that next year), but really responded well the last two periods, coming back all the way from 0-3. That third goal Hildebrand let in kinda bothered me - I think he makes that save IvorySoap% of the time.

By the way, did you notice: WE SCORED THREE GOALS! Yes, that was against our incoming G so is that a good thing?

If MSU can somehow avoid the penalty box and stop the neutral zone gifts they handed to UMAA last time out and play 60 the way they did at JLA, MSU has a prayer. Of what, I'm still not sure, but people pray for good things to happen either to them or the program they root for, so if the prayer is answered, maybe that equates to a win?

Comment

Re: Spring Break AA/EL 2014!!! MSU-Michigan 3/7-8

So, what has the higher viewership:

Michigan @ MSU on FSD 7pm OR Michigan vs. Indiana basketball BTN 6 pm Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                So, what has the higher viewership:

Michigan @ MSU on FSD 7pm OR Michigan vs. Indiana basketball BTN 6 pm Saturday?

Don't care. I'll be at the hockey game.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

Don't care. I'll be at the hockey game.
                  Enjoy it. Munn should be a tomb.

Comment

It always is.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

It always is.
                      If so, please be sure to show appropriate respect. Like removing your hat when you come in.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        If so, please be sure to show appropriate respect. Like removing your hat when you come in.
                        Women don't have to do that. Or do they now?

Comment

Women don't have to do that. Or do they now?
                          Then play Taps I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Then play Taps I suppose.
                            Will Munn let me bring my trumpet in? That would be awesome!

I still can't believe I was able to walk into a game at Mercyhurst with a trumpet. Then again, for that game I think 33% of the fans were USCHO posters/Tech fans. But, still surprised that 2 opposing fans could walk in with trumpets, play them during stopages and have no one ask them to stop. Meanwhile, Penn State takes away cowbells after permitting them the previous day.

Any one else wondering what attendance will look like this weekend? I believe the Michigan students have tickets, but many will be away on Spring Break.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Will Munn let me bring my trumpet in? That would be awesome!

I still can't believe I was able to walk into a game at Mercyhurst with a trumpet. Then again, for that game I think 33% of the fans were USCHO posters/Tech fans. But, still surprised that 2 opposing fans could walk in with trumpets, play them during stopages and have no one ask them to stop. Meanwhile, Penn State takes away cowbells after permitting them the previous day.

Any one else wondering what attendance will look like this weekend? I believe the Michigan students have tickets, but many will be away on Spring Break.
                              MSU took away student section seats for this game and made them general public. From the chart on the ticket office site not too many people have bought those up, so right now there'll be a giant empty corner. Plus, it's still Spring Break so I think the only band that is required for the weekend will be the one at the Women's BTT. Looks like the rest of the corners still have open seats too so we'll see. But like I said in the first post, we played better at CoPa and JLA in empty buildings than we did in our own sold out one, so maybe that's just what we need.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X