Thoughts on a New England invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a New England invitational

I know we have the Beanpot already, but I always wandered how well an outdoor tournament like the GLI would do at Fenway. Start it off with the big names like BC, BU, UNH, and Maine. (Mainly because I can't seem to get this set up in the HE tournament). Then expand invitations the following years based on rankings. Even include ECAC teams besides HE. Just want to hear thoughts.

Re: Thoughts on a New England invitational

Sure, ship it

Comment

Exclude BC and BU and make it the important New England tournament for teams not eligible for the Beanpot (you BC, BU, NU, and Harvard people get to have enough fun already with that tournament). Open it to New England ECAC schools as you said like Quinnipiac and Yale (heck if Holy Cross for some reason becomes a legit threat or top ten team make Atlantic New England teams eligible). Throw Hockey East schools like UML, PC, Maine, UVM, Merrimack, etc. A 4 team New England tourney would be fun, it would be interesting to see what the criteria to be selected to play in it could be. Basically a New England Invitational tournament as you said.

Comment

My only fear would be that BC or BU would dominate it like the Beanpot.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar Away View Post
          Exclude BC and BU and make it the important New England tournament for teams not eligible for the Beanpot (you BC, BU, NU, and Harvard people get to have enough fun already with that tournament). Open it to New England ECAC schools as you said like Quinnipiac and Yale (heck if Holy Cross for some reason becomes a legit threat or top ten team make Atlantic New England teams eligible). Throw Hockey East schools like UML, PC, Maine, UVM, Merrimack, etc. A 4 team New England tourney would be fun, it would be interesting to see what the criteria to be selected to play in it could be. Basically a New England Invitational tournament as you said.
          This would be cool. They could rotate venues, too- Worcester, Providence, Manchester, Portland, Hartford. The host team gets an autobid and then the three teams who finished highest in the PairWise the year before get the other bids.

Comment

Friar Away, I agree to an extent. We both know BU and BC bring crowds. However, maybe allow the champion to defend and have 3 different contenders each year.

Comment

Given this is all hypothetical say BC and BU are included it would still set up potential great matchups, like a Quinnipiac vs BC game, Yale vs BU, plus you gotta hold out to see what kind of program UConn can build in their move to Hockey East, the Hartford market once supported an NHL franchise and UConn has a strong supportive fanbase but we'll have to see if it translates to hockey support if they can achieve some success. Even with BC and BU opening it up to the defending champion and top 3 pairwise New England teams would create a higher level of competition than the Beanpot. Downside though is no history and I don't think BC and BU would approach it with the same intensity as they approach the Beanpot that's why I wouldn't include the Boston schools. Either way it's a fun idea to kick around.
              Last edited by Friar Away; 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

please feel free to keep BC out of this, fine by me!

didn't there used to be an annual tourney that maine, unh and uvm competed in? governor's cup?

Comment

Great Idea! I would agree on leaving the Beanpot schools out of it,even though I would love to see Northeastern involved,as far as Fenway goes it's a terrible place for Hockey,you need a small football stadium like Harvard Stadium the sightlines would be fantastic and it would be cheaper to pull off and therefore affordable and accessible to more people heres a summer picture of it,it would be excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Stadium
                  Last edited by Happy Husky; 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I just figured Fenway to start it off. Big name venue with big name schools to start it. Then branch out. I'm not from New England but a UNH fan. I like the idea of moving the venue around and having the defending champ with a host school.

Comment

Originally posted by ac9er View Post
                      I know we have the Beanpot already, but I always wandered how well an outdoor tournament like the GLI would do at Fenway. Start it off with the big names like BC, BU, UNH, and Maine. (Mainly because I can't seem to get this set up in the HE tournament). Then expand invitations the following years based on rankings. Even include ECAC teams besides HE. Just want to hear thoughts.
                      Awesome idea! This has never been done at Fenway and outdoor hockey would never get old.
                      Bring it on... you'll make trillions of dollars.

I can't believe they haven't tried an outdoor Frozen Four yet. I bet nobody would ever want to play hockey indoors ever again!
                      Last edited by FiveHole12; 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

bu & bc would not, i'd guess, want to give up home game ticket money twice a year. and not potentially waste ooc games vs conf opponents if the draw worked out that way.

but sounds interesting (if it can be indoors), so discuss amongst yourselves and keep mookie informed
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar Away View Post
                          This is a really great idea for all 12 people who would show up to Fenway Park to watch it.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            Awesome idea! This has never been done at Fenway and outdoor hockey would never get old.
                            Bring it on... you'll make trillions of dollars.

I can't believe they haven't tried an outdoor Frozen Four yet. I bet nobody would ever want to play hockey indoors ever again!
                            Let me know how I can capitalize on the trillions being a poor college graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by ac9er View Post
                              Let me know how I can capitalize on the trillions being a poor college graduate.
                              If I knew that do ya think I'd be sharing?

It's your idea... make it happen. I will truly feel good for you if you make trillions. And I won't ask you to share.
                              FWIW... I won't be attending. I like my hockey indoors.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                              X