Thoughts on a New England invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    If I knew that do ya think I'd be sharing?

It's your idea... make it happen. I will truly feel good for you if you make trillions. And I won't ask you to share.
    FWIW... I won't be attending. I like my hockey indoors.
    I only suggested Fenway for the first game to make an event out of it. I'd rather it be at the Garden or other indoor facilities after.

Comment

Re: Thoughts on a New England invitational

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
      This is a really great idea for all 12 people who would show up to Fenway Park to watch it.
      I'd actually be in favor of rotating indoor venues. I did Frozen Fenway this year, it was fun for a one time thing. But you're right it's probably not worth having a tournament that doesn't involve BC and their front-running...I mean passionate fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ac9er View Post
        I only suggested Fenway for the first game to make an event out of it. I'd rather it be at the Garden or other indoor facilities after.
        Now you're talking. I'll go even if BC isn't there (as long as they aren't playing nearby that weekend.)
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

With all due respect, outdoor hockey has been greaqtly overdone, both in college and the NHL. The novelty is over. The sightlines are terrible for the fans who go, the ice condittions can be terrible, and I don't think it televises well. Did you see the games at Fenway this year. 9 people showed up and either froze or sat through rain delays.
          Keep it indoors and try to draw 10-12,000 fans at Boston. prov, worcester, bridgeport, hartford, etc

Comment

Thinking that it should be held before the break or during as most others are. Hoping NESN carries it and I can see it in Bfe cornfield, IN.
            Last edited by ac9er; 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              please feel free to keep BC out of this, fine by me!

didn't there used to be an annual tourney that maine, unh and uvm competed in? governor's cup?
              I would actually like to see that come back, throw in UMA or UML to round it out.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                With all due respect, outdoor hockey has been greaqtly overdone, both in college and the NHL. The novelty is over. The sightlines are terrible for the fans who go, the ice condittions can be terrible, and I don't think it televises well. Did you see the games at Fenway this year. 9 people showed up and either froze or sat through rain delays.
                Keep it indoors and try to draw 10-12,000 fans at Boston. prov, worcester, bridgeport, hartford, etc
                this would be a good option for y'all who were forced to schedule conference teams as ooc games this year.

i'm not sure if boston garden would have dates for a weekend for it. but if you're able to rotate hartford/portland/manchester/providence/worcester/springfield - a nice sized arena and have a host to anchor each year it would work in cities where you have hotels and places around to go out and create an atmosphere in the town. there are also ecac/ivy teams that could come in and participate as well that would be neat to see.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

My thoughts... my understanding is that GLI did horrible outdoors, but the tournament has lost a bit of its cache. Outdoor games themselves have been done to death... sadly, predictably so. I have no faith in Fenway Park to act in the best interests of hockey in case of weather.

I'd prefer a one-day festival style event at Boston Garden long before a GLI style tournament and an outdoor tournament at that.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    I would actually like to see that come back, throw in UMA or UML to round it out.
                    Have a Governors Cup and keep it to state schools, including those from the BIG, UND, UNO etc.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow you Hux. I understand the Governor's Cup aspect, but would rather have it regionally.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Have a Governors Cup and keep it to state schools, including those from the BIG, UND, UNO etc.

Comment

In terms of New England State schools, currently four of them (UML, UVM, UNH, Maine) are in America East for all other sports. If a New England State school Invitational were to happen that would seem to be a very easy way for it to happen.

Not sure how you could do a Governors Cup for all the state schools in College hockey... Do you pick just one Minnesota state school each year? one Michigan School?
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                            In terms of New England State schools, currently four of them (UML, UVM, UNH, Maine) are in America East for all other sports. If a New England State school Invitational were to happen that would seem to be a very easy way for it to happen.

Not sure how you could do a Governors Cup for all the state schools in College hockey... Do you pick just one Minnesota state school each year? one Michigan School?
                            invite tournament... the two or three in charge solicit opponents and away we go
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              invite tournament... the two or three in charge solicit opponents and away we go
                              I don't think it would draw as well or take hold as well. If the tournament was held in a central location... say Manchester it would be an easy trip for UNH/UMO/UVM/UML for example and should be an attendance success with even a minor amount of marketing.

By my count there are 13 (but it still early) possible states that could be represented, some by more then one team. If you chose to rotate or "invite" that many teams it would dilute the possible match ups and prevent rivalries from developing. The only way I see this working would be to take 12 and make a true tourney out of it. Single elimination over two weekends (top 4 from previous year get a bye, bottom 4 play middle 4 on Friday, final 8 play on Saturday and the following weekend the top 4 hash it out) but I don't think you could get teams to sign on for it. Although considering the new realignments have created a lot more OOC games it could work but I doubt this would happen

Either way, part of what makes the Beanpot is that it is the same 4 schools and as such the tourney takes on more importance then if the teams just played it every 3 or 4 years. It wouldn't be a big deal. But if you have the same 4 every year it becomes a mark on the calender that gets a little added importance. I think the 4 New England state schools would be more likely to happen...
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

So, would it be the flagship university or the satellite university for Massachusetts?
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X